fear of infection.. how can i repress it???

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
edsince18

fear of infection.. how can i repress it???

Postby edsince18 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 am

i don't have implant yet.

Scary thoughts often come to mind.
(severe infection, doctor's mistake.... etc)

How should i cope with this shity thoughts?
ed since high school graduation, 25 years old now

dg_moore

Re: fear of infection.. how can i repress it???

Postby dg_moore » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 am

You can consider infection statistics - infections were not uncommon years ago, but with new device designs and materials, improved medications and advanced surgical techniques infections have become very rare. If your doctor observes standard protocols and you are compliant with pre- and post-op instructions, your likelihood of infection is extremely low. As has been noted in the forum countless times, find the most experienced surgeon you possibly can - this will give you the best odds of a successful outcome.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

edsince18 wrote:i don't have implant yet.

Scary thoughts often come to mind.
(severe infection, doctor's mistake.... etc)

How should i cope with this shity thoughts?

Please create a signature. It makes things much easier to answer your questions without asking a lot of questions. Here's how you do it
Click on your name in the top right corner and select "user control panel"

Then under the big letters "User Control Panel" there is a row of words... select "Profile"

Then down the left had side of the "User Control Panel" select "Edit Signature" (You might have Create Signature or something. I don't know exactly what you'll get because I already have a signature to edit)

Most guys put something like what I have, but you can put whatever you want. Here is mine -
"AMS 700 (18 + 2 rte's). Implanted March 30, 2017 by Dr. Brock of London, Ont, CANADA. Great surgeon. Went in to septic shock and had to have implant removed April 29, 2017. I'm from Belleville, Ontario, CANADA. Appt. for consult for second attempt is on November 6, 2017... I can't wait."

Don't get too carried away with the doctor like his name, address, phone number, etc (anything that looks like advertising for him).. you can certainly say Dr. Jones (great Dr.)

If you need further help, please ask, that's what I'm here for.

Larry

Bandit

Postby Bandit » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Edsince18
Although it does happen, infection numbers are very low with newest technology. Patient has to use antibiotic soap prior to surgery. Then patient is scrubbed down prior to surgery. Implants by AMS have an antibiotic coating and coloplast soaks the implant in antibiotic fluid prior to your surgery. Every precaution is taken. Plus you have follow up appointments with your doc and you can monitor your own recovery as well. Check with your doc as to precautions but im sure you ll be fine.
Bandit
Born 1958, married. Prostate Cancer. RRP November/2014. PSA undetectable since. Implant May/2017 AMS700LGX 18 cm + 1.5 cm RTEs.

antelope

Postby antelope » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm

One thing I found helpful prior to my open heart surgery 10 years ago was to learn and practice "extreme hygiene" protocols starting about a month before my surgery. They gave me (and will give you) a list of things to do during the last 2-3 days re washing with special soap, shaving incision site (or maybe STOP shaving it), and other simple, practical things. I found that focusing on these simple routines helped me not think about the fact that they were going to cut my heart out of body, put it in a tray while they tuned it up, then put it back in and hope it starts.

I also prayed. A lot.

All the best.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:30 pm

My solution is 1) to educate yourself.

2) Talk to your Doctor FRANKLY of your concerns/fears

Information is power.

Your Doctor having information about your feelings permits better care for you (the best providers treat the WHOLE patient).

You having information about your concerns dispels false fears and lets you focus on real, rather than imagined dangers and enables you to rank the real dangers appropriately so you can be well prepared to have an optimal outcome.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

strongagain

Postby strongagain » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 am

It‘s very simple really. Just apply honey to the wound as soon after the operation as possible. The wound will heal in no time. After operations I apply honey at once. Years later some surgeons remarked “Where is the scar, I can‘t see it, please show me." There is hardly time for infections 'cause the would will be closed extremely fast. Put honey on as soon as you have access to the wound. When I wake up after an operation I immediately remove the bandage, put honey on and close it again. Don't use the cheapest honey but look out for quality.

The internet is full of articles about honey on wounds.
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/nov ... agent.html
Born in 1950, ED since 2007 (colon cancer)
08/2015 Titan Zero Degree 22 cm + 3 cm RTE
Dr. Leiber, Freiburg, Germany
6.5" x 5.7" - Very happy with implant

Living in Freiburg, Germany

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

I don't have a spleen (part of one's immune system) and I was fearful of getting an infection as well. My surgeon had me take an antibiotic for 30-days post op. No infection.

I do understand that the risk is small, but in my case it could have been deadly. Talk to your surgeon about your fears.
Prostatectomy and radiation therapy 2/05. AMS 700 implanted 9/17.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 pm

strongagain wrote:It‘s very simple really. Just apply honey to the wound as soon after the operation as possible. The wound will heal in no time. After operations I apply honey at once. Years later some surgeons remarked “Where is the scar, I can‘t see it, please show me." There is hardly time for infections 'cause the would will be closed extremely fast. Put honey on as soon as you have access to the wound. When I wake up after an operation I immediately remove the bandage, put honey on and close it again. Don't use the cheapest honey but look out for quality.

The internet is full of articles about honey on wounds.
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/nov ... agent.html

Honey is time-proven as a preventative for bacterial growth, it is thought because it has almost no water content. But some honeys do have water, so be cautious.

Also, remember that a poor growth medium is not an ACTIVELY hostile environment for bacteria. Antibiotics are actually poison to bacteria. A poor growth media (honey) is not the same as an actively hostile environment.

I know nothing about the properties of honey in promoting re-growth of skin tissue as opposed to skin scar tissue. There may be some benefit there.

My counsel is to balance degree of risk against degree of consequences. If you have a low-risk situation but high consequence outcome, be extremely cautious. If you have a moderate risk situation with low consequence, you can be experimental. That is, I do not need a lot of faith in honey as an anti-bacterial agent to use it on a cut on my arm, as the consequences of an infection there are not too difficult to deal with. Failure of the honey on a deep surgical wound in an area where dire consequences are mere millimeters deep (my scrotum, for example) require me to have a lot more faith.

Besides, if the insurance company found out that you did not follow standard medical protocols, it might endanger your coverage, if not for the infection recovery, for the rebuild.

Good luck.

I do not want to engage in a debate here over the merits of various treatments or their alternatives. That would be inappropriate, I think. I just want to suggest (as strongagain also suggested) knowledge is powerful and to do your research thoroughly. It is your life at stake.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am

I am pro proven natural remedies, honey being one. However, I would like to clarify that it is one of the most contradicting things I have seen. Yes, low content of water, but extremely rich on sugar, which highly promotes bacteria grow! It must contain something else that counteract such property. I don’t know what it is, but it seems to be effective.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Return to “Implants”