Spinal vs General

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Vagabond127

Spinal vs General

Postby Vagabond127 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm

I'd like to know who has had spinal/general/or both. I read somewhere that people prefer spinal as it is easier to recover from. I did read up on it but got very confused.

Can anybody shed some light on this.

Sometimes I look for the answers in the archives but it can be overwhelming and not specifically answer my questions. Also I think it's good for guys who never even thought of asking such a question especially guys who are new/young/and everybody else could benefit from such questions.

I thought as I got closer to my surgery I would have less question but obviously that is not the case.
Implanted with Titan 1/15/19 with Dr. Eid.
6-length 4.5-girth.

TANGERINE

Re: Spinal vs General

Postby TANGERINE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 am

from your perspective, it really does not matter if you get spinal or general. You will be asleep anyway and you will remember nothing .
For me, I told my surgeon: "use whatever anesthesia method that will help you do the best job."

Dr Eid prefers spinal because when you have the spinal block, you get an erection, so figuring out the implant placement is easier for the surgeon. That is all I needed to hear. I was motivated to do almost anything to maximize the chance of a perfect result. Thus, I followed his lead and had a spinal. The spinal was a totally OK experience.

The spinal also seemed like a more gentle way to come out of surgery; since your penis will be numb for many hours after surgery.

The downside to spinal is that the time spent in recovery is longer since it needs to wear off over an hour or two or three. This is in contrast to general anesthesia where you wake up, and you are awake.

my advice to you: "leave the decision-making and fretting about the details of your anesthesia to your surgeon" The anesthesia type and method is a complex medical decision; and you are paying your surgeon to make those decisions for you.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 am

Have had both; spinal way more manageable.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:43 am

TANGERINE wrote:from your perspective, it really does not matter if you get spinal or general. You will be asleep anyway and you will remember nothing .
For me, I told my surgeon: "use whatever anesthesia method that will help you do the best job."

Dr Eid prefers spinal because when you have the spinal block, you get an erection, so figuring out the implant placement is easier for the surgeon. That is all I needed to hear. I was motivated to do almost anything to maximize the chance of a perfect result. Thus, I followed his lead and had a spinal. The spinal was a totally OK experience.

The spinal also seemed like a more gentle way to come out of surgery; since your penis will be numb for many hours after surgery.

The downside to spinal is that the time spent in recovery is longer since it needs to wear off over an hour or two or three. This is in contrast to general anesthesia where you wake up, and you are awake.

my advice to you: "leave the decision-making and fretting about the details of your anesthesia to your surgeon" The anesthesia type and method is a complex medical decision; and you are paying your surgeon to make those decisions for you.

Thanks for the response Tangerine. I wish more people would leave the decision making to the people who are qualified to make them. I see all the time on here where people are saying "I am going to tell the doctor that he is to give me the AMS or the Titan" It's not that easy. Your anatomy, body structure, medical history, etc. has a lot to do with the proper decision. Trust your surgeon, you don't know shit about surgery. :)

Larry

RecentImplant

Postby RecentImplant » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 am

The problem with asking a question like that is you get totally different answers that will only confuse. I had spinal three months ago with my implant but then for my repositioning/pump replacement last month I had general. I got pretty nauseous after the spinal (which could have been from the pain meds) and didn't love the idea of a needle in my spin, so asked for general the second time. No nausea but I also didn't take any pain meds afterwards, just advil. Maybe don't overthink it and have an open talk with your surgeon and anesthesiologist the day of your surgery. Good luck with it
46 year old, fit & healthy, single, 22 cm Titan coloplast implanted Nov. 2017, ED for 15 years, diagnosed with organic venous leakage. Pump repositioned Feb. '18.

My implant experience: http://www.franktalk.org/phpBB3/viewtop ... f=6&t=9229

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 am

Had general for the implant after I woke up was discharged. For my hip replacement in Jan had a spinial plus local. Woke up in my room could not move my legs after a few hours had feeling in legs but not butt or feet. Eventually could start to wiggle toes. When the PT folks came in I could not get my feet and legs to work. After about 6 hours I was able to walk., but still had to stay overnight. In 08 when the other hip was done same dr differant hospital. The general put me in ICU becsuse they gave me too much.

If they put you to sleep there are possible short term side effects. If you go with a spinal and they are off just a little bit yoc could be in a wheelchair for life.

After watching my procecure video and others, there is no way in hell I would want to be awake with just a numb dick. Plus the drs do not have time nor want someone playing 20 questions while they are working.

seeking info

Postby seeking info » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:21 am

I have had many surgeries...I love spinals. I will admit I was scared as heck to get one at first because the only ones I had ever seen was my wife getting g hers in labor....it was not a pretty picture! I had to have surgery on my kidney due to kidney disease and I had a great Anesthesia Dr who convinced me to let him try!! HD said if it hurt...he would stop and put my lights out immediately! I never felt anything but a small needle stick and nothing else....a minute later he said it was in!!! I felt like s fool. My biggest pros are this. With general anesthesia when you wake up...you feel immediately!! The pain from surgery hits you the moment you wake! With a spinal it wears off gradually! You ha e time to adjust to knowing the procedure is over...and get ahead of the pain...but to each his own!!! Some folksjust do not like needles period. I say..trust your Doctor.. Good luck!! I hope something I said helped a bit

Scott
Medically retired. Due to very bad back issues..multiple surgeries. Implanted pain infusion system on long term opiodal meds; hypogonadism and hypothyroid as a side effect from intrathecal pain infusion system. Use low dose generic V

Vagabond127

Postby Vagabond127 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 am

Think I'm sold Scott. Thanks.
Implanted with Titan 1/15/19 with Dr. Eid.
6-length 4.5-girth.

LesNesman1

Postby LesNesman1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:35 am

I was given a choice of either and went with spinal.
My surgeon said he liked a spinal as well for this type of surgery.
I got a vasectomy as well so everything numb down below.I did not want tubes down my throat as would be with general .I woke up and felt very good considering I had an implant just inserted.

Les
ED for 28 years.Used all pills and injections until no other options worked.
Age-53
Implanted 4/19/17 by Dr. Aaron Lentz( Duke Urology)--22CM Titan no RTE's
Bionic Assault 6/12/17 and blew her doors off.

Return to “Implants”