Desision Time

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
newbie443

Re: Desision Time

Postby newbie443 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:I note that some Doctors maintain a list of patients willing to talk to prospective patients. The Doctors then share that list to prospective patients without the risk of violating H.I.P.A.

Other Doctors will give prior patients YOUR contact information.

I posted a request of Craigslist in the "Personals" section and got help and advice from there. Not from mu urologist's former patients, but helpful nonetheless.

Franktalk's archived threads have been EXTREMELY helpful. I read through about 4 years of old posts. It took a couple of days but was worth it.

I never thought of craigslist. I have read a ton of stuff. Finding what I'm looking for is hit and miss and remembering it or where I found it is as well.

Thank you for the reply.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Newbie,

Having someone (sons) to help post-surgery would be nice, as would local follow-up. But I wouldn't give them the same weight as having the right doc -- who may be local,or may involve travel. The rest of the considerations are secondary IMHO. (Recovery was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.)
Wish you the best.
Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm

radioradio wrote:Newbie,

Having someone (sons) to help post-surgery would be nice, as would local follow-up. But I wouldn't give them the same weight as having the right doc -- who may be local,or may involve travel. The rest of the considerations are secondary IMHO. (Recovery was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.)
Wish you the best.
Bob

I agree with having the right doc. I don't think I do locally and needed to run this through to make sure I am not missing anything. I believe recovery will be much easier if I travel.

Thank you for the reply
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

66 years young.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Nothing substitute a good, honorable surgeon.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

firstcav46

Postby firstcav46 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:44 am

I drove 100 miles to Atlanta and flew to Baltimore (with my wife) and was implanted by Dr. Kramer last October. I was implanted on a Thursday and flew back (first-class to avoid the jostling) on Saturday. I didn't return for an activation, etc. Dr. Kramer was comfortable with my urologist (who has done implants) handling that. Haven't had any problems. Major success.
71. Married 35 yrs to sexy woman; ED at 62; pills/injections eventual fails; AMS implant 5/29/14 (Dr. Milam); yr later - severe burning, pain around shaft on inflation. Remove & replace with Coloplast Titan 10/18/17 (Dr. Kramer).
Auburn, Ala.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 am

Dr. Eid wrote to me this advice:

By far the most important decision that you can make is to seek the most experienced surgeon that you can afford. There is no substitute for experience. Look for someone who puts the patient's interest first above all things, including surgical time, relationship with one particular manufacturer and financial incentives. Look for someone who is passionate and fascinated with their surgeries; and obsessive about obtaining a good outcome. Look for someone who is in love with their craft. With an experienced physician the risk of complications, postoperative pain, swelling is greatly diminished and the outcome and quality of the result tremendously increased (size of erection, pump position, concealment of scar and tubing, placement of reservoir). Also studies show that the need for re operation is greatly reduced in experienced hands. Most, unfortunately, underestimate the importance of experience and assume that one particular surgeon must be "good enough" based on a few successful cases. Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement. Having said that the only way to acquire good judgement is by having a large surgical volume.

I delayed getting an implant 14 months searching for a way to get to the Maryland VA so Dr. Kramer could do my surgery. (Dr. Eid and Dr. Kramer have such good reviews here and both of them have attitudes that gained my approval and Dr. Kramer works in the Maryland VA as well as the University of Maryland.) Getting to the East Coast was problematic and the Surgeons available to me in Anchorage or Seattle did not inspire my confidence, though Dr. Allen (Anchorage) did meet the caring and professionalism criteria.

But Dr. Eid's comment to "find someone in love with his craft" resonated with me. The advice of a Nurse about experience also swayed me. But the ultimate factor was that God or Providence or just blind luck (and the principle of "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" fell in my favor. A Nurse at my local V.A. who was familiar with my desires heard of a newly assigned surgeon the the nearby USAF Hospitasl who had taught the procedure. She asked if I would consider him. 1) Local 2) USAF (as I am an AF veteran) and 3) expert in the field. I jumped at the chance.

When I met Dr. Shaw, he inspired my confidence and convinced me that he was inde3ed in love with his craft when he confided in me his personal feelings about implants. Truly, I felt, Dr. Shaw is in love with his craft.

So, almost literally, he fell into my lap and I scheduled surgery right then and there.

Now, you may not be as lucky (or patient to go through the efforts I did during those 14 months) as I have been. But be thorough and I expect you will be alright in the end. I am sure that any Doctor who discerns that you are really serious will be inspired to up his game on your behalf, or refer you to a surgeon who matches your zeal.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Vagabond127

Postby Vagabond127 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Dr. Eid will be doing my surgery in either April or May. He takes my insurance and he is 3 hours away from me. However, I have a friend who has chronic ED. But who he is in the state of Connecticut insurance program. No out of state Dr. will take his insurance. It's just that the program doesn't pay out of state doctors. He is desperate. His dick won't go up at all.

I found him one locally. Is he as good as Dr. Eid? No. But no reports of horrific outcomes. So you have to weigh the options. Have the surgery with a surgeon who is not world class but can do the job. Or stay limp the rest of your life. I would choose to get the surgery done by my local urologist.
Implanted with Titan 1/15/19 with Dr. Eid.
6-length 4.5-girth.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Vagabond127 wrote:Dr. Eid will be doing my surgery in either April or May. He takes my insurance and he is 3 hours away from me. However, I have a friend who has chronic ED. But who he is in the state of Connecticut insurance program. No out of state Dr. will take his insurance. It's just that the program doesn't pay out of state doctors. He is desperate. His dick won't go up at all.

I found him one locally. Is he as good as Dr. Eid? No. But no reports of horrific outcomes. So you have to weigh the options. Have the surgery with a surgeon who is not world class but can do the job. Or stay limp the rest of your life. I would choose to get the surgery done by my local urologist.

I am able to pay out of pocket one time for this. I have BCBS but they say if they pay for part of it ( I have deductible, co-pays, not covered items, ect.) they will only pay locally. Locally the group that does this wants the new guy to do it to get him experience. I really want to go to a world class surgeon and get the best I can for this. I just have the nagging annoyance of paying the extra 20k and letting insurance off the hook. If I stay local I have this dread that I will be left with a useful but problematic results that I will be stuck with for maybe the rest of my life or even be left with something that does not work and can not be fixed. So Thursday is crunch time as far as making the decision. My local guy has no horrific results or any results at all that I can find. So at the office visit Thursday with my Uro I will decide to either roll the dice with him and hope for a good out come or go have the checks cut and send them East. If I were a betting man my money would be on going East. Part of this I am sure is just nerves about pulling the pin and getting this scheduled.

66 years young.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:13 pm

Jusr my opinion, worth nothing, but food for thought.

Aside from the basic skills to do the surgery, the Doctor's committment to a functional, cosmetic ans ARTFUL optimum uotcome is paramount.

Dr Eid's comment about someone who is "in love with his craft" informed my decision to choose (though I had to wait for luck to find him) him. On my first meeting with Dr Shaw I KNEW in my bones (not my boner ;) ) that he was such a Surgeon and would care for me having the best outcome possible.

Interviw your Doctor and let him/her know the importance you place on that attitude and gauge the response. Then decide.

Good luck
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Jusr my opinion, worth nothing, but food for thought.

Aside from the basic skills to do the surgery, the Doctor's committment to a functional, cosmetic ans ARTFUL optimum uotcome is paramount.

Dr Eid's comment about someone who is "in love with his craft" informed my decision to choose (though I had to wait for luck to find him) him. On my first meeting with Dr Shaw I KNEW in my bones (not my boner ;) ) that he was such a Surgeon and would care for me having the best outcome possible.

Interviw your Doctor and let him/her know the importance you place on that attitude and gauge the response. Then decide.

Good luck

I may be surprised and my Uro will show me the care and concern I think he should on Thursday. It would be nice if he does. I do want to see the implants first hand as I have not seen one other than pictures yet. I have been in contact with a surgeon back East. I also want to ask my Uro if he will continue to see me if I go East for the surgery.

Thank you for all the replies. It is really helping me work through my issues with this.

66 years young.

Return to “Implants”