Suspensory Ligament Cut at Time of Implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Fundle

Suspensory Ligament Cut at Time of Implant?

Postby Fundle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 am

How common or desirable is it to have the suspensory ligament cut at the time of getting your implant? Have you had yours cut? Are you happy with the results?

I am very short (4.5 inches erect on a good day), and my surgeon recommends having the suspensory ligament cut at the time of getting my implant to give me some added length -- possibly between 1/2 inch and 2 inches. It's considered cosmetic surgery, however, and that part won't be covered by insurance, so it adds $1,000 to the cost. But my biggest concerns are the effects after the surgery -- mainly the added healing time, and an erection that may forever be pointed downward.

I've searched the forum but haven't found much recent discussion of this issue. Anyone with experience have advice?

Bob
Age 66. Originally scheduled for penile implant surgery March 1, 2018 with Dr. Garber in Phila, but delayed for insurance reasons. ED for 20 years; tried testosterone replacement, ED meds, pump, tri-mix injections. All helped for a time, but no longer.

Anonymous3

Re: Suspensory Ligament Cut at Time of Implant?

Postby Anonymous3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:01 am

4.5 IS not that short average is between 5 and 5.5. Have you lost due to atrophy ? If so the VElD prep can help restore that

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Bob,
All I can share is my own experience. I have not seen any info here at FT. When I first met with my surgeon I was prepared with a list of questions from my research. I had mentioned my erect size had been 6.5” from age 16-50 and then the affects of long term ED and age kicked in and I lost length and lost more after Prostate Cancer and surgery, bring m length down to 4.5”. Before I could ask the question about the suspensory ligament he said he never cuts it and would not recommend it. I fully trust my surgeon from my prior relationship and surgeries and did not even ask why. His approach was more about proper sizing and telling me with the AMS LGX there was more potential to maximize my length.

To my understanding from research, there is not all that much change in length when the suspensory ligament is cut. We read about a fairly substantial part of our penises being inside our bodies, but very little is released when it is cut.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Greg1956 wrote:Bob,
All I can share is my own experience. I have not seen any info here at FT. When I first met with my surgeon I was prepared with a list of questions from my research. I had mentioned my erect size had been 6.5” from age 16-50 and then the affects of long term ED and age kicked in and I lost length and lost more after Prostate Cancer and surgery, bring m length down to 4.5”. Before I could ask the question about the suspensory ligament he said he never cuts it and would not recommend it. I fully trust my surgeon from my prior relationship and surgeries and did not even ask why. His approach was more about proper sizing and telling me with the AMS LGX there was more potential to maximize my length.

To my understanding from research, there is not all that much change in length when the suspensory ligament is cut. We read about a fairly substantial part of our penises being inside our bodies, but very little is released when it is cut.

Greg

I have seen 3 urologists and 2 of them were 100% opposed to cutting it. I never asked the third.

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Google the phrase "Suspensory Ligament Release" and read ONLY legitimate medical journal articles.
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 pm

That is not a good practice... unless you won’t mind to have a fully erect penis pointing to the South Pole (if you live in the northern hemisphere).
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm

I would get other opinions from surgeons. My hunch is they won’t recommend it.

DroptheMike

Postby DroptheMike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Fundle wrote
How common or desirable is it to have the suspensory ligament cut at the time of getting your implant? Have you had yours cut? Are you happy with the results?

I am very short (4.5 inches erect on a good day), and my surgeon recommends having the suspensory ligament cut at the time of getting my implant to give me some added length -- possibly between 1/2 inch and 2 inches. It's considered cosmetic surgery, however, and that part won't be covered by insurance, so it adds $1,000 to the cost. But my biggest concerns are the effects after the surgery -- mainly the added healing time, and an erection that may forever be pointed downward.

I've searched the forum but haven't found much recent discussion of this issue. Anyone with experience have advice?

Bob,

Dr. Garber did my implant in late October of this year. I had the suspensory ligament cut. My erection points at a 90 degree angle and does not point down. It is very rigid and I don't think I could even force it to point downward while erect. My erection does bend slightly upward and to the right which is not a result of the ligament cut. My erection has always had a bend to the right, which was actually greater before the implant. Dr. Garber says that the bend should straighten itself out over time. Right now my length is about 5 1/4". I think I was closer to 6" before the surgery, so I guess time will tell if it improves length for me. The main thing for me is that now, after years of not having intercourse with my wife, we finally did it! Everything has been working great and I feel like a tremendous weight has been taken off my shoulders. Hope everything goes well for you. I put all my faith in Dr. Garber and so far so good. Below are couple of pics.
Attachments
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG (63.89 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Mike
Married 57 years old. Made the decision to get an implant after several years of unsuccessful attempts using conventional medication which no longer worked. Titan 22cm w/Genesis pump implanted by Dr. Bruce Garber October 2017. Infrapubic approach.

DougYetii

Postby DougYetii » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am

I did this with Garber. I don't think I gained anything, but I am back to 6.5 inches with an erection pointing ☝ to 2:00.
Implanted 9/6/2016 by Bruce Garber
Titan 22cm with 1.5 tips.
lost 3/4 inch, gained it back over the year. Currently 6.5l by 6.25g.

Best decision ever!

Fundle

Postby Fundle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for all the responses, and especially Doug and Mike (photos even!) who have had the suspensory ligament cut with Dr. Garber. That was very reassuring. So much of what I've read online is very negative about cutting the suspensory ligament, so I was surprised that Garber recommends it. Hearing these first-hand accounts is very helpful. It's interesting that none of the negative responses are first-hand accounts. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

I haven't made up my mind yet about going ahead with that part of the surgery, but at least I have some more good questions now for Dr. Garber before surgery.

Bob
Age 66. Originally scheduled for penile implant surgery March 1, 2018 with Dr. Garber in Phila, but delayed for insurance reasons. ED for 20 years; tried testosterone replacement, ED meds, pump, tri-mix injections. All helped for a time, but no longer.

Return to “Implants”