Time for a replacement (in France this time)

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
shadowwolfe

Time for a replacement (in France this time)

Postby shadowwolfe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:05 am

I haven't been on in a while. I had my first operation in 2011 in Salt Lake City. I was pleased with the implant.

I was told when an implant fails, it just doesn't work. But in my case I noticed a change a few months ago. It felt like it wasn't fully pumping. Then about 2 months ago I noticed it dropped from approximately 50 pumps to around 12. It would still be ok for sex but barely and the pump would not inflate (return to normal round ball).

Since I moved from the U.S., I've been extremely nervous about having my implant here in France, but my French medical is only for care in France. I went to a doctor in Strasbourg but he told me he wasn't qualified to do implants. He recommended a doctor in Reims about 4 hours away.

I met Professor Staerman and he seems to be an excellent doctor. He asked me several questions then he had me undress and then he tested the pump. He told me I definitely have a leak somewhere in the pump.

He set up surgery for the 10 of October and had me see the anesthesiologist immediately. I felt comfortable with the doctor and he asked if I wanted the old style titan or new. I like the new style since the pump release doesn't stick out which I hate about the current titan. I didn't ask if it makes the same embarrassing noise when pumping.

So on the 9th I arrive and spend the night. On the 10 I have the surgery and then probably 4 days in the hospital. Unlike the US, France wants you to stay in the hospital to make sure you are definitely healing before you go. I know in Salt Lake, it was surgery then 1 night and then sent home.

So I will take the TGV (fast train) so I don't have to try and drive. I will report how it went since we do occasionally get Europeans on this forum. Btw the surgery will not cost me anything since I have two insurances. If I only had the French Vitale card (French national medical card) it would have cost only 500€ still.

I feel very comfortable with this doctor and only time will tell how good of a job he actually does. But my Salt Lake City doctor was also unknown to me but turned out to be an excellent doctor and even my doctor here heard of him.
Prostate cancer at age 38? Implant Titan OTR April 28, 2011, Salt Lake City, UT. Line broke 2017 because pump was placed too high and a line was pinched. Replacement October 10, 2017 Reims, France with the new model Titan OTR.

Greg1956

Re: Time for a replacement (in France this time)

Postby Greg1956 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:41 am

Best wishes to you. I am having my implant surgery (first) tomorrow.
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

shadowwolfe

Postby shadowwolfe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

I am sure all will go well. My first was great and I was pleased with it. I had almost no pain at all which surprised me.
I will watch your thread you have posted and see how you are doing.
Prostate cancer at age 38? Implant Titan OTR April 28, 2011, Salt Lake City, UT. Line broke 2017 because pump was placed too high and a line was pinched. Replacement October 10, 2017 Reims, France with the new model Titan OTR.

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am

Good luck Shadow..
Titan or Ams failed ?
Titan 24cm . December 2015

shadowwolfe

Postby shadowwolfe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Titan OTR. it is 6 years old. I sure wish they could advance the technology so they lasted longer.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:37 pm

shadowwolfe wrote:I haven't been on in a while. I had my first operation in 2011 in Salt Lake City. I was pleased with the implant.

I was told when an implant fails, it just doesn't work. But in my case I noticed a change a few months ago. It felt like it wasn't fully pumping. Then about 2 months ago I noticed it dropped from approximately 50 pumps to around 12. It would still be ok for sex but barely and the pump would not inflate (return to normal round ball).

Since I moved from the U.S., I've been extremely nervous about having my implant here in France, but my French medical is only for care in France. I went to a doctor in Strasbourg but he told me he wasn't qualified to do implants. He recommended a doctor in Reims about 4 hours away.

I met Professor Staerman and he seems to be an excellent doctor. He asked me several questions then he had me undress and then he tested the pump. He told me I definitely have a leak somewhere in the pump.

He set up surgery for the 10 of October and had me see the anesthesiologist immediately. I felt comfortable with the doctor and he asked if I wanted the old style titan or new. I like the new style since the pump release doesn't stick out which I hate about the current titan. I didn't ask if it makes the same embarrassing noise when pumping.

So on the 9th I arrive and spend the night. On the 10 I have the surgery and then probably 4 days in the hospital. Unlike the US, France wants you to stay in the hospital to make sure you are definitely healing before you go. I know in Salt Lake, it was surgery then 1 night and then sent home.

So I will take the TGV (fast train) so I don't have to try and drive. I will report how it went since we do occasionally get Europeans on this forum. Btw the surgery will not cost me anything since I have two insurances. If I only had the French Vitale card (French national medical card) it would have cost only 500€ still.

I feel very comfortable with this doctor and only time will tell how good of a job he actually does. But my Salt Lake City doctor was also unknown to me but turned out to be an excellent doctor and even my doctor here heard of him.

Shadowwolfe;

You should create a "signature" which will help our members help you anytime you have a questions.

To add your signature.... look in the upper right hand corner where get your notification and Private messages. Your Profile name is there too, just click on your name. Another window will open, then click on the "User Control panel" tab, then on the left side in that box you will see "Edit Signature".. click on it and then you will be able to add what ever type of information you wish to add....it's easy.

Include things like date implanted, doctors name, Make - Titan or AMS, size of implant, rte's? any story you wish to share - like ED for 15 years, or whatever, any medical info - like diabetes, or high blood pressure, etc. or 33 years old, single gay man with ED for 10 years, thinking about getting an implant. Here is mine:

AMS 700 (18 + 2). Implanted March 30, 2017 by Dr. Brock of London, Ont, CANADA. Went in to septic shock and had to have implant removed April 29, 2017. Appt. for consult for second attempt is on November 6, 2017, surgery on Dec 7th... I can't wait.

Larry

Return to “Implants”