Life span of implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
jelquinginjury

Life span of implants

Postby jelquinginjury » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:17 pm

People who have had more than one implant, can you tell how long your implants lasted? Did you have an AMS or a Titan? From what I read it seems that AMS tend to fail before the Titans, so I would like you to share your experiences here
Injury that caused venous leak.
In my 20s thinking about implant

Larry10625

Re: Life span of implants

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:32 pm

jelquinginjury wrote:People who have had more than one implant, can you tell how long your implants lasted? Did you have an AMS or a Titan? From what I read it seems that AMS tend to fail before the Titans, so I would like you to share your experiences here

And I would say that AMS seems to be more popular so it seems like they fail more.

Larry

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm

There was a post on here a couple of weeks back that showed the actual failure statistics out to 10 years. No statistically significant difference. Slight difference in the shape of the curves but actual failure percentages to close to call.

David
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:31 pm

As I mention in my signature, I had a CX model implant for 12 years (2002-2014). When it would no longer inflate, my well-respected urologist said I should just have it replaced rather than try to look for a leak somewhere. So I had an LGX model inserted in 2014. The two models are different, but I was glad I had both of them, and enjoyed a hard dick and a happy sex life with them -- still do! ;)

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am

David_R wrote:As I mention in my signature, I had a CX model implant for 12 years (2002-2014). When it would no longer inflate, my well-respected urologist said I should just have it replaced rather than try to look for a leak somewhere. So I had an LGX model inserted in 2014. The two models are different, but I was glad I had both of them, and enjoyed a hard dick and a happy sex life with them -- still do! ;)

Thanks David. That is very reassuring to know as my implant date approaches for my second AMS device. I think it will be a CX too, but not sure. :)

Larry

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Larry, I am also due for a replacement, the 18th of this month. Don't know what AMS model he will choose. First one was LGX.

David
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 am

here is a paper from hackensack urology.

Basically, it looks like:
5-year survival of newer coloplast implant is around 92%
and
10-year survival at around 82% for the AMS CX at 10 years

Penile Prosthesis Surgery: A Review of Prosthetic Devices and Associated Complications
Hossein Sadeghi-Nejad, MD. J Sex Med 2007;4:296–309.

Here is an excerpt from the article:
Hossein Sadeghi-Nejad, MD states in his article
".....Mechanical Malfunction
Wilson et al. reported the results of a prospective study of 1,381 Coloplast (formerly Mentor) Alpha-1 penile prostheses implanted to treat impotence, and compared the mechanical reliability of the original and enhanced penile prosthesis. The 5-year survival rate increased from 75.3% for the original to 92.6% for the enhanced model. The failure rate of the enhanced model implants was about 0.8% per year during the first 3.5 years, and increased to approximately 3.1% per year thereafter [11]. ....
....A long-term multicenter study of the AMS....More recently, an even longer follow-up study of the long-term mechanical reliability of the AMS 700CX trade mark/CXM inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP) was reported in 455 patients, with a median follow-up of 91.5 months. The authors reported 10-year Kaplan-Meier estimates of overall and mechanical survival at 74.9% and 81.3%, respectively [43]......"

link to the text of this paper
http://www.hsadeghi.com/penile-implant#penile
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 am

also, there was an interesting table discussing complications of implants:
complications.jpg
complications.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

source: Penile Prosthesis Surgery: A Review of Prosthetic Devices and Associated Complications
Hossein Sadeghi-Nejad, MD
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

TANGERINE wrote:also, there was an interesting table discussing complications of implants:
complications.jpg

source: Penile Prosthesis Surgery: A Review of Prosthetic Devices and Associated Complications

Can you please post the link for that chart. The writing is too small and blurry for my old eyes.

Larry

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm

i tried magnify, and i have saved as an atachment the table on complicatons.

Here is what the table says:

Mechanical malfunction :
AMS malfuncton rate = 10% at 8 years (ie, 90% still are good)
Coloplast malfunction rate = 1% in first 3 years, then 3% failure rate yearly thereafter (in other words, at 8 years, the fail rate is 1% + 15% = 16%) So, 84% still good at 8 years; but I think that the long term data comes from the older style Mentor coloplast which is not as durable)

My take on this data:
Figure on a failure rate of around 3 percent per year ??, so at 8 years, there is a 76% chance that your implant is still good. At 16 years, thre is a 52% chance that you are still good.

Whether you implant fails at 3 years or at 16 or at 20 is not predictable. It seems that the surgeon technique (ie, the way the tubes are situated) has a lot to do with longevity. There is agreement that the failure point for the coloplast titan is the tubing as they go into the pump. The failure point for the AMS, I vaguely recall, might be the pump itself or maybe the cylinder material.

(the table came from the article wirtten by Sadeghi-Nejad. the link to the article is:

http://www.hsadeghi.com/penile-implant#penile

Penile Prosthesis Surgery: A Review of Prosthetic Devices and Associated Complications
Attachments
complications.jpg
complications.jpg (176.45 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Last edited by TANGERINE on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Implants”