Continuity of Care - How Important?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Continuity of Care - How Important?

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm

How important is it for the surgeon who did the implant be the person who follows up for post-op care. (Initial inflation, questions that may come up, etc.)

I know this is highly a matter of opinion so I hope for a discussion of the pros and cons.

I can have an implant with a relatively low volume but nearby Urologist who would also do all the pre and post surgery care. Or I could go to a somewhat higher volume Urological Surgeon in Seattle with followup and all post surgery care by my local Urologist.

As I wait for the VA to work out the bureaucratic details, I am getting antsy.

Thanks in advance
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

DaveET1

Re: Continuity of Care - How Important?

Postby DaveET1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Professionally, I don't think it is crucial, but I think many of us have established a relationship with the surgeon, and it is nice to keep that intact.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

I think I'm right on this....AFTER the surgery, there is nothing the surgeon can change without another surgery. While I'd prefer to "follow up" with the surgeon, another doctor "monitoring" you should be sufficient......
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Bigred

Postby Bigred » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm

For me, it is very important. I'm very picky about who works on my stuff. My line of thought was that just because you are a urologist doesn't make you a great implant surgeon. I was fortunate enough to have insurance that would cover 90% or more of the cost so I went with one of the top high volume implant surgeons. Flying back to Baltimore next week for post operation visit and activation. It's well worth the $200 air fare to me to have my surgeon do the activation.
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant And world class surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm in agreement with Bigred. I would prefer the guy who did the surgery to follow up with. I chose a low volume surgeon 12 miles from where I live. Yes, he might only do 2 or 3 a month, but he has been doing them for over 25 years, so I was confident in him. The nice thing about it is I have 20 days post surgery, and have already seen him twice so I didn't have to wait 6 weeks to see him. I'll see him again on 7/25 for activation. My feelings are, he did the surgery, so he knows my case better than anyone else. Just my 2 cents.
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Bigred wrote:For me, it is very important. I'm very picky about who works on my stuff. My line of thought was that just because you are a urologist doesn't make you a great implant surgeon. I was fortunate enough to have insurance that would cover 90% or more of the cost so I went with one of the top high volume implant surgeons. Flying back to Baltimore next week for post operation visit and activation. It's well worth the $200 air fare to me to have my surgeon do the activation.

Dang Bigred, you only had yours done two days before me and your getting activated next week. I wonder why my doctor is waiting so long, on 7/25. BTW, how are you doing?
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Bigred

Postby Bigred » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:44 pm

sliphill wrote:
Bigred wrote:For me, it is very important. I'm very picky about who works on my stuff. My line of thought was that just because you are a urologist doesn't make you a great implant surgeon. I was fortunate enough to have insurance that would cover 90% or more of the cost so I went with one of the top high volume implant surgeons. Flying back to Baltimore next week for post operation visit and activation. It's well worth the $200 air fare to me to have my surgeon do the activation.

Dang Bigred, you only had yours done two days before me and your getting activated next week. I wonder why my doctor is waiting so long, on 7/25. BTW, how are you doing?

Well, I should have said 2 weeks, 7/11. I lose track of time being retired. But overall, doing well. Can't wait to be able to deflate for a change.
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant And world class surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

Smetro

Postby Smetro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 pm

I felt good about going back to my surgeon for activation however after that it's just a matter of time, patience and self discovery..... so many trifling things resolve and are left in the dust once you start applying your new and magical implant to the purpose for which it was intended :)
68,Titan Touch 22cm+1.5cm rte's op done in Melbourne Aust by Dr Chris Love-Feb 2017 Venous leakage over a 2 year period, did pills and Caverject. Length@ 3 1/2years is: 7+” erect, 6.5” flaccid and almost 6” girth. REZUM Feb 21 ejaculation now normal.

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Smetro wrote:I felt good about going back to my surgeon for activation however after that it's just a matter of time, patience and self discovery..... so many trifling things resolve and are left in the dust once you start applying your new and magical implant to the purpose for which it was intended :)

Lol, can't wait.
Ed (sliphill) 68

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 am

sliphill wrote:
Smetro wrote:I felt good about going back to my surgeon for activation however after that it's just a matter of time, patience and self discovery..... so many trifling things resolve and are left in the dust once you start applying your new and magical implant to the purpose for which it was intended :)

Lol, can't wait.

My surgeon was 7 hours away so Dr. Brock agreed to allow Dr. Woods (urologist surgeon) take care of the post op care, wound care anyway. I may have to go back to London for the activation appointment. Dr Woods use to work with implants but does not anymore. This arrangement works great for me but, I can see that it may not work for everyone.

Larry

Return to “Implants”