Infrapubic or Peno-Scrotal

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Tybeeman

Infrapubic or Peno-Scrotal

Postby Tybeeman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Which of these approaches is best and why one over the other.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

Donnie1954

Re: Infrapubic or Peno-Scrotal

Postby Donnie1954 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:35 pm

The jury is out on this one. My surgery was infrapubic and I had absolutely no problems. The thought of getting my "nut sack" terrified me.
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

Cnidium

Postby Cnidium » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm

From what I have read, scrotal incisions are preferred with the high volume surgeons. I remember Kramer stating a number of reasons why he does scrotal. These include avoiding nerve damage (penis nerves run down pubic area where pubic incisions are made), easier pump placement, and easier cylinder sizing. This isn't to say you cant get a good result with infra-pubic, its just Kramer and Eid do it scrotal because they think it gives their patient a better result.

Personally, I would insist on scrotal. Kramer / Eid will absolutely do that.
Titan OTR. Dr. Hakky - successful surgery and very happy with outcome.
My advice: choose a world-class surgeon and make yourself the healthiest you can.

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 pm

I have experienced both. First and third penoscrotal, and second infra public. Aside from what was mentioned before, technically, the infra pubic procedure allows faster healing due to less scrotal swelling.

My first surgeon left me with a grapefruit sac for 5-6 weeks. But if you use a pro like Kramer, the scrotal swelling is not an issue. There will be discomfort, which is managed by ibuprofen.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Sat May 20, 2017 2:11 am

I was told that "the most difficult and unpredictable " part of the implant operation involves placing the pump in the proper place in the scrotum. The peno-scrotal approach allows for better control of how and where the pump will "lie" in the scrotum; and , I am told, it also allows for more effective hiding and placing of the tubes (sometimes , I am told, the tubes can be felt during lovemaking in infrapubic installs.)

I just did a quick search on this and there is a paper discussing this topic. the key excerpt is:

".. The advantages of the penoscrotal access reported in this paper are:

– The penoscrotal approach provides an excellent exposure.
– It affords proximal crural exposure if necessary.
– Avoids dorsal nerve injury.
– Permits direct visualization of pump placement.

The disadvantage highlighted for the penoscrotal approach is that the reservoir is blindly placed into the retropubic space, which can be a problem in patients with a history of major pelvic surgery (mainly radical cystectomy). Furthermore this document reinforces the idea that revision surgery is associated with decreased outcomes and may be more challenging with the infrapubic approach.

The ISSM Consensus in Chapter 18 (8), dedicated to penile implants reports that there is no clear advantage of one type of access or other, and the choice depends on the surgeon's preference and that the literature data showed that the incidence of infection is similar between the penoscrotal and infrapubic access. ...."

There is also a statement that:

"...A very interesting study comparing penile prosthesis implant surgery before and after Expert Training with Standardized Operative Technique for residents demonstrated that after the training, penoscrotal access increased from 52.2% to 97.8% ..."

To contradict the above, there apparently was a survey of 42 patients that concluded that both groups were happy, and there was no statistical difference: "....Candela & Hellstrom presented retrospective study comparing satisfaction of the patients submitted to implantation of 3 volume inflatable penile prosthesis with penoscrotal and infrapubic access through a questionnaire sent to 86 patients. Analysis of the 42 questionnaires returned demonstrated no statistical differences in the replies of the two groups in either the factual or perceptual data (9)....."

REFERNECE:
Gromatzky C. Opinion: Why I prefer the penoscrotal access. International Brazilian Journal of Urology : official journal of the Brazilian Society of Urology. 2015;41(3):410-411. doi:10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2015.03.04

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4752132/
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

mrp2007

Postby mrp2007 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 am

Mine said he uses infrapubic because of the risk in reservoir placement. It is the most dangerous part of the procedure.
Because of my RP, even with infrapubic, it was difficult to place my reservoir because of that previous surgery. Thus mine is next to my bladder instead of ectopically in the muscle.
52yo ED after Radical Prostatectomy (Cancer) in 2007. All clear 9yr. Only trimix 0.8ml worked.
Implanted by Dr Katz and Dr Love (assist) 11/11/2016. Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE Infrapublically
Activation on 13/12/2016
Wasn't ready before.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:16 am

Really depends on the patient and surgeon. Go with a high volume surgeon and ask them what their complication and redo rates are if not going with Dr Kramer or Eid. I had zero problems with mine and began inflating gently in about two weeks and intercourse at the same time. Sore first few days and then swelling and pain rapidly improved with peno scrotal. I honestly think it is the surgeon not the approach and some luck to be sure if they only have a 1% problem rate that you are not the 1%. A surgeon mentor of mine told me back in med school that complication rates for an individual patient are 0% or 100%. Younger and healthier less chance of issues. High volume doc less chance of issues. Follow instructions less chance of issues. Etc. Good luck.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 am

I too have had both. First was scrotal but I chose my surgeon poorly. Among my many problems was reservoir migration that Dr Perito said was actually dangerous. My second two were infra public. My current issues are relatively minor, the worst being "cold head".

I believe choice of surgeon is at least and probably more important than insertion method.....

Good luck!
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Return to “Implants”