Who stayed overnight in hospital....

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
LMCatman

Who stayed overnight in hospital....

Postby LMCatman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:23 am

Did you stay overnight in the hospital and how was your recovery time? In other words, does the overnight hospital stay quicken your recovery?

My initial implant surgery was "outpatient" and was followed by much swelling and many weeks (months actually) of pain. For my revision, Dr Perito kept me in the hospital overnight. That night was terrible (but less terrible than being home I'm sure). But.... I had very little swelling, a rapid recovery and sex 17 days post surgery.

I have an appointment with Dr Perito tomorrow and the overnight hospital stay is (only) one of the things I want to ask him about.....

Your results?
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

David_R

Re: Who stayed overnight in hospital....

Postby David_R » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 am

I was in an outpatient facility rather than a hospital, and I was kept there for 23 hours. This way, it would count as "inpatient" rather than as "outpatient," and my insurance company would be happy.

jonbaldbg

Postby jonbaldbg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 am

I was outpatient for both my implant and my revision. There's not really a need for an overnight in normal circumstances. They leave you with the catheter in overnight unless you can pee after the surgery. It comes out the next morning either by yourself or at the doctor's office follow up. To me, the catheter was more unpleasant than the discomfort that followed the surgery.
62 years old. ED for years. High BP and meds have done me in. AMS 700 CX /3.0 cm RTE Implanted by Andrew Kramer on 10/12/16. Involved revision to relocate tubes and pump performed 12/29/16 by Dr. Knoll of Nashville, TN.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

When I got my implant in 2008 Dr Kramer kept me overnight (23 hours, so it qualified as outpatient for insurance purposes). In the morning the catheter was removed and as soon as I was able to urinate I was discharged. I believe this is still his preferred practice.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

mrp2007

Postby mrp2007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm

I was in hospital over night (even the night before since I was on at 8am for the 2h pre antibiotic drip).
Recovery seemed to go like normal for what my expectations were.
Mark
52yo ED after Radical Prostatectomy (Cancer) in 2007. All clear 9yr. Only trimix 0.8ml worked.
Implanted by Dr Katz and Dr Love (assist) 11/11/2016. Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE Infrapublically
Activation on 13/12/2016
Wasn't ready before.

jonbaldbg

Postby jonbaldbg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:30 pm

dg_moore wrote:When I got my implant in 2008 Dr Kramer kept me overnight (23 hours, so it qualified as outpatient for insurance purposes). In the morning the catheter was removed and as soon as I was able to urinate I was discharged. I believe this is still his preferred practice.

Dave,

I had Dr. Kramer and the process they described to me ahead of time is what they actually did. Same day surgery. Back to the hotel room that night with the catheter still in. Remove my own catheter in the morning. Lay around from Wed through Saturday with ice and fly home Saturday. There was no overnight for me.

He does a ton of out of town jobs so maybe his procedure has changed? Don't know.
62 years old. ED for years. High BP and meds have done me in. AMS 700 CX /3.0 cm RTE Implanted by Andrew Kramer on 10/12/16. Involved revision to relocate tubes and pump performed 12/29/16 by Dr. Knoll of Nashville, TN.

adamshea

Postby adamshea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:14 pm

LMCatman wrote:Did you stay overnight in the hospital and how was your recovery time? In other words, does the overnight hospital stay quicken your recovery?

My initial implant surgery was "outpatient" and was followed by much swelling and many weeks (months actually) of pain. For my revision, Dr Perito kept me in the hospital overnight. That night was terrible (but less terrible than being home I'm sure). But.... I had very little swelling, a rapid recovery and sex 17 days post surgery.

I have an appointment with Dr Perito tomorrow and the overnight hospital stay is (only) one of the things I want to ask him about.....

Your results?

I spent the night in the hospital and would highly recommend doing so. They gave me antibiotics and pain meds in my IV overnight. I developed some testicular pain on my left testicle in the middle of the night and needed stronger pain meds that was administered via VI. I was able to keep the scrotal swelling under control with ice bags every 20 minutes or so. I did great after I came home only took pain meds for two days. I was back to work in my office job at two weeks with no swelling. I activated my implant at three weeks. I resumed daily exercise at three weeks without any discomfort. If you have additional questions I will be glad to help!
58 yrs old, married 30 yrs, Implanted 07-21-16 AMS 700 LGX (18cm x 12mm with 5cm RTEs 10cm up and 13cm down)
2 TURPS developed penile neuropathy. Experienced moderate ED I could get erections but could not always keep them. Very happy with implant.

vey999

Postby vey999 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 pm

My VA doctor had me booked into the hospital for an overnight stay and when I asked if he thought it was necessary, he said no, but he highly recommended it. Turns out he was right. I had awful constipation. I was incredibly dehydrated since I hadn't drank any water for almost 24 hours. I had a drain that I needed to learn to use and I was given antibiotics by IV along with saline , none of which would have been treated well at home.
Age 60.Titan installed at VAMC Orlando. 12/15/2016 by Sarat Sabharwal.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm

jonbaldbg wrote:
dg_moore wrote:When I got my implant in 2008 Dr Kramer kept me overnight (23 hours, so it qualified as outpatient for insurance purposes). In the morning the catheter was removed and as soon as I was able to urinate I was discharged. I believe this is still his preferred practice.

Dave,

I had Dr. Kramer and the process they described to me ahead of time is what they actually did. Same day surgery. Back to the hotel room that night with the catheter still in. Remove my own catheter in the morning. Lay around from Wed through Saturday with ice and fly home Saturday. There was no overnight for me.

He does a ton of out of town jobs so maybe his procedure has changed? Don't know.

Jon, I live only 25 minutes from UMMC, so it may be that procedures for local guys are different from out-of-towners
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

joe456

Postby joe456 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm

I will be staying over night Dr Brock said all his sugerys stay over one night. St joseph london Ontario
Canada.
none

Return to “Implants”