Update

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
alibaba

Update

Postby alibaba » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Met with new urologist in Belleville Ill. Really, Really nice guy. Dr. Ryback. VERY Very much like him as does wife. He tried pumping up dick several times. Spent over an hour discussing it and has referred me to Dr. Lawrence Lavine in Chicago who specializes in revising screwed up implants. He also had no issue with Eid but said one of the 2 should do it. Impression: Wrong implant, under sized, rigidity issues, tubing issues, needs to be scrotally installed, not infrapubic. Recommends replacement with a Coloplast Titan ( which makes bigger implants) and scrotal approach to surgery instead of infra pubic which also gets rid of the annoying tube issues and crooked pump and a couple other annoyances of this &^%$ thing. Wife is pushing to get it revised yesterday. Hope for an appointment date soon. Showed me a real coloplast implant. It was like a pencil to a large magic marker in comparison. I said on Jan. 12th that I was shocked how small the AMS cylinders were. Eid told me post implant that the AMS was not suitable for big guys as they do not make them big enough. The coloplast pumps up to a rigidity and size that will make any woman run or swoon. No way possible for the AMS to match it in my opinion holding them in my hand and trying them out. The sample unit would pump stiffer than my own penis. Wife is excited. The Coloplast is soaked in a tray of antibiotics right before implanting in comparison to the AMS that comes impregnated.
Last edited by alibaba on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

strongagain

Re: Update

Postby strongagain » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:15 am

Why don't you go to Dr. Eid? If I were you I wouldn't do the same mistake twice...
Born in 1950, ED since 2007 (colon cancer)
08/2015 Titan Zero Degree 22 cm + 3 cm RTE
Dr. Leiber, Freiburg, Germany
6.5" x 5.7" - Very happy with implant

Living in Freiburg, Germany

PFracture

Postby PFracture » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:53 am

Hi alibaba. I am new here, but been following your thread in detail. You did have some bad luck with your procedure, but at least these are some good news. You do have a point. I don't know much about is rep here, but he is "the man to go to" in what concerns peyronies patients for non surgical treatment. But yes, no matter what you do, try to get it right this time by sparing no expense on the best doctor possible.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:31 am

alibaba wrote:Met with new urologist in Belleville Ill. Really, Really nice guy. Dr. Ryback. VERY Very much like him as dose wife. He tried pumping up dick several times. Spent over an hour discussing it and has referred me to Dr. Lawrence Lavine in Chicago who specializes in revising screwed up implants. He also had no issue with Eid but said one of the 2 should do it. Impression: Wrong implant, under sized, rigidity issues, tubing issues, needs to be scrotally installed, not infrapubic. Recommends replacement with a Coloplast Titan ( which makes bigger implants) and scrotal approach to surgery instead of infra pubic which also gets rid of the annoying tube issues and crooked pump and a couple other annoyances of this &^%$ thing. Wife is pushing to get it revised yesterday. Hope for an appointment date soon. Showed me a real coloplast implant. It was like a pencil to a large magic marker in comparison. I said on Jan. 12th that I was shocked how small the AMS cylinders were. The coloplast pumps up to a rigidity and size that will make any woman run or swoon. No way possible for the AMS to match it in my opinion holding them in my hand and trying them out. The sample unit would pump stiffer than my own penis. Wife is excited. The Coloplast is soaked in a tray of antibiotics right before implanting in comparison to the AMS that comes impregnated.

I don't recommend being too wedded to one company just yet. Regardless whether it's Coloplast or AMS you just can't get ten pounds of potatoes into a five pound bag. I had a Coloplast but could never get comfortable with it. Now I have an AMS CX and I'm more satisfied. I haven't noticed any difference in length or girth with my AMS as opposed to the Coloplast when inflated, but there was a huge difference when not inflated; hence the discomfort I mentioned earlier. Finally, the AMS's antibiotic system is time-released, so it's designed to work well past the initial op date.

I have heard some good reports about this Center for Reconstructive Urology in Orange County, California, which among other things specializes in revision surgery. You might want o check them out. www.centerforreconstructiveurology.org. It wouldn't hurt.

Whatever you decide, I know from your past writings this has been a difficult journey for you. I wish you the best.

KMeister

merrix

Postby merrix » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:51 am

Alibaba - I feel sorry for you that you had an outcome you are not happy with.

If you go for a revision, I would have to agree with Strongagain - why not go with Eid and then at least you have cleared the risk of picking the wrong surgeon. Of course, he can fail as well, but at least - if that happens - you will not sit afterwards and blame yourself for picking an unskilled suregeon. Should things go south with him, it is not because of his lack of skills. It would be pure bad luck of being the one in a thousand he screws up with.

I would also tone down the differences between AMS models and Titans.
As all of you who read my posts know, I am a believer in Eid. And how could I not be after he has lived up to every single word he has said to me.
And Eid believes (or at least he says he believes) that Titans are better for a number of reasons:
Stiffer erections, less wobbling, better girth for big penises, longer tubing and hence superior possibility to conceal the pump.
AMS advantages are softer flaccid and easier to implant. This is also the reason why less experienced surgeons prefer AMS - it is easier to install.

Anyway, that is what he told me and it must not be true. But I believe it is.

But - and this must not be forgotten - there are plenty of satisfied AMS-implanted guys here. So to make it as simple as saying AMS is crap and Titan is fanstastic just doesn't work. That is a well proven fact.

Whatever you do, consider carefully and once you have a plan - I wish you all the best of luck this time. Just make sure you maximize your chances of having that luck.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:31 pm

Agree on damn the costs. I'm not shopping for a used car.

AMS/Coloplast. After seeing them side by side, I think what we are told is sales hype on the level of our current political side show. I could tell very little difference in softness of material between the 2. I would tend to think on examination the Coloplast seemed to be better quality when you looked at both at the same time. I still question from a mechanical standpoint their 4 lobe reservoir. As far as pumping up the implant, the coloplast was bigger from the start and just kept getting bigger with few pumps. The AMS seemed to make little progress and never reach close to the size of the Coloplast Titan. Eid said the AMS was not capable of getting as big as a Coloplast and he is clearly correct.

Choice of Doc. I've been on a research binge. Larence Lavine of Rush University in Chicago has 30 years experience and does more REVISIONS than anyone in the Midwest. Over 1000 REVISION surgeries. He travels the world teaching classes on penile reconstruction and implant revisions. I intend to meet with him and get his opinion. I've talked to his patients. Big guys that were messed up, were reimplanted several times, still messed up and he fixed them. I AM NOT taking Eid off the table at this time. There is a big cost advantage to going to Levine as I can stay with family and it is within a 9 hour drive. I won't deny that. Levine does no have the internet show presence that the other big name docs have but seems to be VERY VERY qualified. One doc I asked put it this way. He said "If my dad needed an implant revised, my uncle, my cousin, my brother or myself, I would recommend he is the one to go to get it made right. If travel convenience was no issue, then I would also consider Eid in NY. Lavine is a perfectionist so expect the surgery to take many hours but he will not quit till all your issues are resolved and he is satisfied."
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:44 pm

KMeister, interesting link. My first urologist who also specialized in penile reconstruction traveled there to help with some surgeries. He did not do regular surgeries like prostatectomies and such, more along the line if you ran your dick through the gears of some machine at work and tore it up, he was the guy to try to salvage/fix it. I remember having some appointments changed because he was in Irvine CA for some difficult procedures.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:39 pm

alibaba wrote:KMeister, interesting link. My first urologist who also specialized in penile reconstruction traveled there to help with some surgeries. He did not do regular surgeries like prostatectomies and such, more along the line if you ran your dick through the gears of some machine at work and tore it up, he was the guy to try to salvage/fix it. I remember having some appointments changed because he was in Irvine CA for some difficult procedures.

I presented this place because they seem to have extensive experience with revisions. Here's more information about that specialty, taken from their website:

www.centerforreconstructiveurology.org/ ... sd86pwrIdU

Are you paying out of pocket?

KMeister

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I do not know if I will be paying for it or not yet. I was told it is not a warranty issue on the implants so AMS will not pay for another prosthesis, but rather an issue of improper installation and sizing. I was told if I have to pay for it that it will likely be more for the revision than the original and insurance may want me to get several more opinions or wait up to a year or more to see if "the situation improves". Have to see the doc then have a surgical appointment, run through hospital who deals with the $ part with the insurance before I know where I stand on this or the games the insurance want to play. Anyone's guess at this point. It could be $30,000 or $100,000. Seems to be an issue changing from infrapubic to scrotal though it seems there are a few here that did. One guy I talked to on the phone last night had to have the rods for 6 months to heal from taking out the infrapubic before going to the scrotal. His first doc undersized him that caused his issues too. Told it may be an issue changing out the reservoir to requiring an abdominal incision to take AMS out and possibly a second in another place to put in the Coloplast. 1/2 this they won't know till surgery. How much scar tissue grows between now and then. Said sometimes the empty spaces fill with bone like calcium that is extremely hard to get out. Time makes a difference on a lot of the variables.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:19 am

Merrix, as far as size difference between the 2 brands, both make models to fit similar size penis' until you get to larger girth sizes or the upper end of the length scale. In no way do I advocate everyone who buy a coloplast is going to have the large dick of their dreams. Dreams never seem to equate reality. Dr. Eid explained the size issue 4-5 weeks ago and it was demonstrated to me yesterday pumping up the samples. On the large end of both dimension spectrums, Coloplast is the clear size leader as they make sizes AMS does not and the Titan will better fit a large flacid girth also as it is bigger around BEFORE pumping than the LGX. As for quality, There is a feature I liked on AMS that I did not note on the Coloplast but ever since I saw the first AMS my general opinion it would be a place that could harbor infection but only in the case infective organisms were present to begin with. Given the antibiotic and a clean install, it is a non issue but could increase wear life in my opinion which is why I am sure it is part of the component. Side by side the AMS looked like an older generation product in need of an update. For the average size girth 5" penis I think either would be quite appropriate. As Dr. Eid explained to me, the Coloplast has enough tubing to make the fitment much better which he identified and since confirmed is another of my issues with the AMS ( short tubing). You have made several points about the wobble effect with tip extenders. Given your implant sizing you would have had to have them with the AMS as they do not make your length cylinder. Add to that, having seen you measurements and picture, I can well see as your fine doc pointed out, your pump, cylinder and tubing would have presented you with the same issues I have if the LGX 21 cm I have ( their largest) was installed in you the fashion mine was. 8 hours after surgery I was pissed because it was clear from a mechanical standpoint which I understand well having worked the field for 45 years, there is no way it can work. I wish I were wrong. It is what it is. People are willing to fix it.

Return to “Implants”