AMS LGX - how hard is it to pump the bulb??

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
midwestman

AMS LGX - how hard is it to pump the bulb??

Postby midwestman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:00 am

Got my implant three weeks ago. Been anxious to try it out a little bit just to get the feel of using the pump now that the majority of the pain and tenderness is gone. So I don't have any problem finding the bulb, and I'm holding the back end of the pump (where the tubes come out) with one hand and squeezing the bulb with the other but am finding that it is hard as a rock! I've gotten a few pumps into the implant as I did enlarge, but I was not expecting it to be this hard. I even looked at the instructions and watched the AMS video to insure there wasn't something else I needed to do to make it work. But try as I might, it just seems to be very solid. Any other experience this?

Thanks,

mwm

RugbyDave

Re: AMS LGX - how hard is it to pump the bulb??

Postby RugbyDave » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 am

Mine was exactly the same no matter how hard I squeezed it just would not budge!

I read on here about having a warm bath and giving it a try - it worked. I squeezed as hard as I could and nothing then all of a sudden it gave and I was away.

Dave
Diagnosed at 49 with PC - Biopsy Gleason 3+4=7
Radical Prostatectomy 14/07/08 - PSA now undetectable
ED since op
Implanted with AMS 700LGX - 26/07/13 @ UCLH London
http://rugbydave.blogspot.co.uk

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:23 pm

It is very hard to pump, at least at first. AMS suggests a hard quick squeeze. I had the same experience as Rugbydave. Once you feel the pop of the valve, it seems to be easier after that. It was almost like the valve was very new and stiff and needed one cycle to loosen a bit.

dickey3

Postby dickey3 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi, as someone seven weeks post-op, the initial pumping is very hard but with repeated tries it will eventually get easier. I still have not experienced the pump pop as some describe it but the pump is getting softer and I can inflate the device. As I was instructed and told, keep trying and it will get better. Good luck.

midwestman

Postby midwestman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks everybody, glad to know it's not abnormal. I've just been playing with it to see how things work/feel/look. I don't have my official "start pumping" appointment until next week (12th). I've achieved a partial erection but it just doesn't seem to go any further. Just hoping there's nothing wrong and that it's just my inexperience with pumping it. REALLY looking forward to getting a full erection, it's been a LONG time and the wife and I are both anxious to try out the implant!

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:47 pm

The pump is made of rubberlike material and softens with repeated squeezes. It will soften in the areas where you squeeze, other places will remain stiff.

This is from a previous posting...

My pump is easiest for me to use with the right hand. BTW If you have watched the AMS animated video, they pump up with the fingertips, mine are not that strong. I curl my index finger and put it under the pump using the side of the bent knuckle giving me a hard surface. Then I use my thumb to press down. In the beginning I occasionally used my left hand fingers to grip under my right hand fingers to help pump.

However I use my left hand to push the deflate button, Dr. Cornell said that is the way he put it in as most of us are right handed. 12 weeks post surgery I could pump up with either hand, it is easier with my right and always easier to deflate with my left. While deflating I use my right had to grip the shaft and squeeze to help return the the fluid to the reservoir.

After repeated pumping one day you will hear the button make a pop and the valve button will make a similar sound when you deflate. Since I pump with my right hand the pump is softer than when I use my left hand, the pump is actually harder, i.e., have made the rubber get use to bending under my right hand.

Squeezing the pump will cause the valve to change the fluid direction to inflate. Sometimes I hear it pop, most of the time if feels like squeezing a grape until it pops. When it does that I know the valve is in the inflate state. To deflate you will hear a pop as the valve moves to the deflate position (hold for 4 seconds) and your will feel the fluid rushing to the reservoir.

Exciting times are ahead, welcome to the Bionic Brotherhood!
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:53 am

I support and locate the base with my ring and middle finger of the left hand and use the index fingers and thumbs of both hands to squeeze. Much easier.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

David_R

Postby David_R » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 am

Getting past that initial "pop" is the difficult part, but the pumps after that are much easier.

midwestman

Postby midwestman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:33 pm

David_R wrote:Getting past that initial "pop" is the difficult part, but the pumps after that are much easier.

I frequently hear and feel the pop and the next couple squeezes go softer but then it hardens up again. Still not sure if things are working correctly. Have my follow up appt in two days and will sure be glad to see what they think. Hard to believe it's THAT hard! I just hope nothing is wrong....ouch.

chiali09

Postby chiali09 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 pm

To give you a reference, I started cycling on Day 23. It wasn't until Day 42 until it became easy. I cycled most but not all of those 19 days. Mine didn't gradually get easier either. It was difficult the first 18 days and then BOOM, day 19 it was broken in. I'm just one reference point, but you aren't alone and I'm just sharing my specific situation. Hopefully you can beat 19 days.

Return to “Implants”