Scrotal vs. Infrapubic

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
NickNickNick

Scrotal vs. Infrapubic

Postby NickNickNick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Can somebody tell me why some surgeons prefer the scrotal (under the penis) approach over infrapubic (over the penis)? I'm not try to brag, but by having my implant done infrapubicly I...
1) Experienced minimal pain
2) Was able to start pumping after 1 week
3) Was able to have sex 3 weeks post op

Scrotal surgeries are much more painful and some patients have to wait up to 6 weeks before they can start pumping and having sex! Meanwhile scar tissue has started to develop, minimizing size and length gains.

The only advantage I can see to the scrotal approach is that the scar is much more difficult to see since it's under the penis, but then again, mines not that bad and will continue to heal until it's barely visible (from what people tell me)

Again, I'm not trying to brag, I seriously want to know why some surgeons go scrotal.
Nick
AMS 700 LGX. Edward Karpman, California. 02/2015

PCHelp76180

Re: Scrotal vs. Infrapubic

Postby PCHelp76180 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 pm

NickNickNick wrote:Can somebody tell me why some surgeons prefer the scrotal (under the penis) approach over infrapubic (over the penis)? I'm not try to brag, but by having my implant done infrapubicly I...

Scrotal surgeries are much more painful and some patients have to wait up to 6 weeks before they can start pumping and having sex! Meanwhile scar tissue has started to develop, minimizing size and length gains.

The only advantage I can see to the scrotal approach is that the scar is much more difficult to see since it's under the penis, but then again, mines not that bad and will continue to heal until it's barely visible (from what people tell me)

Again, I'm not trying to brag, I seriously want to know why some surgeons go scrotal.
Nick

Hey Nick I asked the same thing of my Dr and was told there is a nerve bundle at the top of the penis that is at risk of damage when done infrapubic. I actually paid out of pocket to get a second opinion from a Urologist 4 hours from me because I really did not want the scar on my scrotum.
ED since my late 30's. Implanted 7/7/15 Titan Coloplast 18cm +4 cm extenders. Revision Jan 2017

chiali09

Postby chiali09 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 pm

NickNickNick wrote:The only advantage I can see to the scrotal approach is that the scar is much more difficult to see since it's under the penis, but then again, mines not that bad and will continue to heal until it's barely visible (from what people tell me)

Nick

That's a pretty big advantage. & I don't want to state the obvious here, but anyone reading this board as been through hell a minimum of 12 months and that is being generous. Be honest, how important are those extra three weeks of having sex before the rest of us? When you've come this far, waiting an extra month is all but irrelevant.
'

hardernharder

Postby hardernharder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Regardless, inexperienced surgeon could screw up either types of approach. The most important is experienced surgeon,

https://www.urologicalcare.com/penile-i ... technique/

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 pm

chiali09, when you say everyone has been through hell for a minimum of 12 months, do you mean 12 months post-op hell?
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

chiali09

Postby chiali09 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:59 am

DonBecker54 wrote:chiali09, when you say everyone has been through hell for a minimum of 12 months, do you mean 12 months post-op hell?

No no no no no. I meant leading up to getting your respective implant. So if you have to wait a few extra weeks because of the location of the incision, then we can all live with that. But as stated above, with the right surgeon (tons of experience and not in bed with a Vendor), you're in good hands either way.

pockie

Postby pockie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm

NickNickNick wrote:Can somebody tell me why some surgeons prefer the scrotal (under the penis) approach over infrapubic (over the penis)? I'm not try to brag, but by having my implant done infrapubicly I...

Nick

I had mine done the scrotal way. You forgot to mention that the infrapubic approach has an infection rate of up to 10x higher than scrotal.
You can find more info here:
https://www.urologicalcare.com/penile-i ... technique/

Along with the comparison of both methods.

Here's my outcome with the scrotal approach:
3) Was able to have sex 2 weeks post op

So we pretty much had the same result, only I was able to pump earlier.

As someone else mentioned, I don't see the real issue here being Scrotal vs Infrapubic, but more related to the skill and experience of the surgeon. If the surgeon knows what he's doing, either approach can work.

JTVallee

Postby JTVallee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Mine was done above so it would be easier and better placement of the resivoir due to double hernia mesh that was done orthoscopic so the mesh was put in from the inside wall.
Yes there is the risk with the nerve bundle but a good surgeon with hands can do it. I beleive from reading others posts my recovery was easier. Can't say for sure , haven't experienced both
Titan OTR March 9th 2015 at age 48
ED all my life started with shots until oral meds became available the quit working went back to shots u til they quit then got my implant from Dr. Jodie U of Minnesota
Couldn't be happier

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:25 am

I actually have had both. My first implant, botched by My local urologist, was ps and my revision by Dr. Perito was ip. In my opinion, my much better results, including much less pain and quicker healing, was due to the skill of Dr. Perito rather than the method of insertion.
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Return to “Implants”