A bunch of questions about implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DonBecker54

A bunch of questions about implants

Postby DonBecker54 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I've been having ED troubles for several years. I'm 64 now, and in good health. Don't know why I have ED, but I do. I can get a halfway decent erection alone, but as soon as I'm with a woman or start moving around, it's gone.

I've been doing injections for a bit over a year, which have been better IMO than pills. Now I have Peyronies. I had about a 30+ degree curve, but the treatments from Dr. Morganstern in Atlanta seem to be working. Nevertheless, I've gone from just shy of 7" when I was in my 20's to 6" in 2012 to about 5" now with the Peyronies problems, which really steams me. Length varies. I get more girth with injections but less length.

Anyway, I've been reading this forum for a long time. There seems to be a lot of different results. So here's my questions:

1. If you could go back and change things, would you still get an implant, or would you rather do pills or injections?

2. Did you lose size? If so, how much? Does post-op size depend upon the brand and type of implant, the doctor, your physiology, or a combination of all three?

3. Did the implant affect the feeling in your penis? Did it affect your ability to have an orgasm?

4. Did you have complications?

5. I read a thread with a list of the supposed best surgeons, such as Francois Eid in NYC. Dr. Milliam in Nashville was on there, too. Is he good?

6. I have good insurance, and estimate that my out of pocket would be under $2000, maybe even under $1000. Am I delusional?

7. For those of you not married (I'm divorced) who have seen multiple women, have any been able to tell you had an implant?

8. How long were you unable to have sex?

I'm sure I have more questions, but these are the ones that have been on my mind. Thanks for any replies.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

pockie

Re: A bunch of questions about implants

Postby pockie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:10 pm

1. If you could go back and change things, would you still get an implant, or would you rather do pills or injections?

I'm only 5 days post-op, but am feeling really good about it. General consensus among people here is that this is definitely the right decision.

2. Did you lose size? If so, how much? Does post-op size depend upon the brand and type of implant, the doctor, your physiology, or a combination of all three?

It's still to early to tell for me, but it looks like I'll be close to what I was pre-op, so either no loss or a minimal loss. It mostly depends on the experience of the surgeon. You need to find an experienced surgeon that can size you as aggressively as possible. Inexperienced ones usually go for a smaller implant to be safe, and you might end up losing a lot - I've seen people lose 2-3" inches. So the surgeon is probably the most important factor.

The surgeon is the one that will tell you which implant is the most suitable for you. Length is something you lose or stay the same you were pre-op, but you can actually gain girth after surgery.

3. Did the implant affect the feeling in your penis? Did it affect your ability to have an orgasm?

For me it's still to early to say, but I actually created a thread with the same question. The consensus was that it felt the same, while some users even said it feels better, this is the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5398

So far no complications
5. I read a thread with a list of the supposed best surgeons, such as Francois Eid in NYC. Dr. Milliam in Nashville was on there, too. Is he good?

Dr. Francois Eid did mine, don't know about Miliam

6. I have good insurance, and estimate that my out of pocket would be under $2000, maybe even under $1000. Am I delusional?

If you mean expenses regarding the hotel accommodation and flight, you can do it for close to $1000. If you're staying a 5 days, at a $100 per night hotel,
plus the additional expenses for flight and other expenses, it is doable.

7. For those of you not married (I'm divorced) who have seen multiple women, have any been able to tell you had an implant?

I talked to a 29 year old guy who was seeing multiple girls. He told me that noone was able to tell. They could only notice something extra there by touching the are behind your balls where the pump is, but I doubt they'll know it's a pump. This guy said that he'll usually tell the girl "My balls are sensitive, don't touch them" and there's no way they'll know.Several other users have also said the same. Tho there were a few users that thought it was not inconspicuous

It depends on how well the implant is fitted, and the type of implant. But if it is done well it can be totally stealth.

I'm less than a week post-op, so still to early for sex. I think Dr. Eid told me that I'll be out of action for about 4 weeks. After that I should be able to have sex. Tho it will take a few months for the implant to become part of you, meaning the implant to seem like a natural part of your body so that you'd be able to experience maximum pleasure. Like when you have a tooth veneer done, the first few weeks it feels like a foreign body, but after that it becomes a part of you.

FlaDon

Postby FlaDon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Definitely I would go with the implant, I just wish I was able to do it sooner. Pills didn't work and injections were just too much trouble, horribly unspontaneous and sometimes painful (and didn't work if I laid down due to venous leak).

I'm 13 weeks post-op, and I really don't think I lost any length at all, and since I didn't have much to begin with, I would have been very aware of any loss. I may have lost a little girth, but it is still fine, and the doc says the girth will continue to increase as time goes on. My doctor has his patients do at least 8 weeks of daily pumping with a VED prior to surgery, which he said has all but eliminated the 'loss of size' complaint.

For a while it did affect the feeling....hurt for a couple of weeks, but then by week eight, didn't even think about it much. Now, it is a little weird to feel the cylinders moving around (especially when deflated, but just something to get used to. Has had no affect on sensitivity. It absolutely did not affect orgasmic ability.

None

I have no experience with either.

No, not at all. My total out of pocket was $1,100.

Not married, but in a monogamous committed relationship.

I was "out of commission" for about 4 weeks. My doctor had me begin cycling after two weeks, so by week 4, he gave me the go ahead to give it a "test run".
63, Central Florida area, ED for two years. Implanted with Coloplast Titan Touch (22 cm w/ no RTE's) March 23, 2015 in Daytona Beach by Dr. Martin Dineen.

NickNickNick

Postby NickNickNick » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes. Implants>>>>>>pills, injections, pumps, etc...

2. Did you lose size? If so, how much?
No, in fact I'm slightly bigger than my pre op stretch test.
Does post-op size depend upon the brand and type of implant, the doctor, your physiology, or a combination of all three?
I'd say it mostly depends on doctor and implant. If you're concerned about size go with a very good high volume doctor and go with an AMS LGX700 which are able to expand in length and girth up to 20% over time.

3. Did the implant affect the feeling in your penis?
I'd say I've lost maybe 5% of sensitivity, so not too bad

Did it affect your ability to have an orgasm?
At first yes, but lately, no problems at all. And I think it's because of 3 reasons...1) penis was still healing. 2) my penis was not used to having an implant inside it 3) I was so used to masturbating that my penis was not used to being inside a vagina for so long

None

Both are great doctors from what I hear, but nobody beats Edward Karpman.

My insurance wouldn't cover my doctor so I had to pay about 16k out of pocket

My girlfriend knows, but if she didn't, she said she wouldn't be able to tell. Only if she feels along the back side of my testicles (which she almost never does) she can feel the pump.

3 weeks
AMS 700 LGX. Edward Karpman, California. 02/2015

woodturner

Postby woodturner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 pm

**I would have done the implant sooner. Insurance was the issue. As soon as my insurance changed I had the implant done

** I lost only 1/4 inch. That is because my glands don't engorge. One of the tricks to maintaining size is to use a Vacuum Pump daily. It keeps atrophy from setting in.

** It slightly enhanced feeling for me. Everybody is different

**Yes, I started playing around with the pump at the 4 week point and I ended up with a full fledged and very uncomfortable erection. I had to go to the doctor's office and get them to deflate it a little bit.
This was my fault. Nobody elses

**I personally don't know either doctor other than by reputation. Both of them are high volume doctors with a good reputation. Dr. Eid is the surgeon that developed the "No Touch" method.
It is a surgical process that reduces the chances of infection quite a bit. The doctor that did my implant uses the same method.

**I don't know. Once my insurance changed, between that and a supplemental policy, My only out of pocket was for a tank of gas, a few meals, 2 nights in a hotel room and $11.00 for some pain meds.
I could have made a claim for the pain meds put it wasn't worth the trouble.

**I've been married for ever and my wife is a retired nurse who notices a lot. I can't help you on this one.

**five years pre-implant, 8 weeks after I got the implant.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. You guys are really helping me make up my mind to go for this.

I was so used to masturbating that my penis was not used to being inside a vagina for so long

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

NickNickNick

Postby NickNickNick » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:02 pm

DonBecker54 wrote:Thanks for the replies. You guys are really helping me make up my mind to go for this.

I was so used to masturbating that my penis was not used to being inside a vagina for so long

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol it's funny but sad at the same time. My dick got so used to my hand it was hard to break out of that comfort zone.
AMS 700 LGX. Edward Karpman, California. 02/2015

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:47 am

Oh, I know it's sad. I've been divorced for two years now, and only get to see a real woman every couple of months. The rest of the time is solo.

firstcav46

Postby firstcav46 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:30 am

To DonBecker54: Your situation very similar to mind, i.e., Peyronies, loss of length, etc. Injections stopped working for me, so my only solution was an implant. Did some research on surgeons in my area and discovered that Dr. Milam (5 hours from me) seemed to be the obvious choice. I had my implant in May 2014. As to your questions.
* Yes, I would do it all over again; very satisfied with the results.
* Yes, I did lose some size, primarily due to Peyronies, but the surgery straightened out my penis. Dr. Milam is a real expert at that.
* Did not affect the feeling in my penis or the ability to have an orgasm.
* No complications.
* Yes, Dr. Milam is one of the best, at one of the best medical facilities (Vanderbilt University Medical Center). I highly recommend him.
* I had Medicare, so my out of pocket expense was zero.
* I was not able to have intercourse for about three years, but OK with HJs and BJs.
71. Married 35 yrs to sexy woman; ED at 62; pills/injections eventual fails; AMS implant 5/29/14 (Dr. Milam); yr later - severe burning, pain around shaft on inflation. Remove & replace with Coloplast Titan 10/18/17 (Dr. Kramer).
Auburn, Ala.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 pm

DonBecker54 wrote:I've been having ED troubles for several years. I'm 64 now, and in good health. Don't know why I have ED, but I do. I can get a halfway decent erection alone, but as soon as I'm with a woman or start moving around, it's gone.

I've been doing injections for a bit over a year, which have been better IMO than pills. Now I have Peyronies. I had about a 30+ degree curve, but the treatments from Dr. Morganstern in Atlanta seem to be working. Nevertheless, I've gone from just shy of 7" when I was in my 20's to 6" in 2012 to about 5" now with the Peyronies problems, which really steams me. Length varies. I get more girth with injections but less length.

Anyway, I've been reading this forum for a long time. There seems to be a lot of different results. So here's my questions:

No question I would pick implant having tried everything and injections were still working

I have lost about 1/4-1/2 inch length and girth which my wife is happy with but doc said I would gain thet back in next 6-12 months

Easier since I am more relaxed and not worrying about losing erection

No complications

High volume without a lot of negative comments is good. My doc was Dr Kramer in Baltimore. Great surgeon and easy to talk to. Answers emails quickly

Total charges $30,000 but of first $6000 I was only responsible for small portion and now I have met my deductible so $23000 still pending from hospital should be zero. The amount you will owe should depend on first if insurance company approves and then your deductible and copays. Your member services number on your insurance should be able to tell you this.

7. For those of you not married (I'm divorced) who have seen multiple women, have any been able to tell you had an implant? My wife says she wouldnt be able to tell. That said I dont know why she wouldnt notice if handling my scrotum as you can feel pump. The appearance while bigger flaccid than presurgery it otherwise looks normal.

I had sex gently partially inflated at 17 days with my doctor's opinion. That is unusual.
I'm sure I have more questions, but these are the ones that have been on my mind. Thanks for any replies.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

Return to “Implants”