Airport TSA full body scanner and implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
jerseyhulk

Airport TSA full body scanner and implants

Postby jerseyhulk » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 am

Hello everyone! Just curious if anybody had any experience with flying with an implant and airports TSA new full body scanners? My job requires me to fly from time to time and I don't know the procedures the TSA carry out in the airport regarding implants. I sometimes travel with coworkers and would rather keep my medical history private rather than make a big show at the airport. I don't know if they would call you out in front of a crowd. I'm not smuggling drugs in my penis but I have heard stories of them going overboard. I also know the full body scanners can see penile implants along with other medical devices. What can you do to maintain your privacy and cooperate with TSA procedures?

jeremc

Re: Airport TSA full body scanner and implants

Postby jeremc » Sun May 17, 2015 8:38 am

They are not detected. I fly in an out of the country several times a year and have never had a problem.
Page 7, 1st LGX 18+3 on 12/27/2012. 2nd LGX 18+6 on 12/11/2014, 3ed CX 24+3 on 5/29/19. bionicjere on Skype

DonHulah

Postby DonHulah » Sun May 17, 2015 4:45 pm

I have a Titan implant and had it placed in 2000 and had a full revision in 2013 because of pump leakage. I have a flacid penis of just over eight inches and both times that I went through the "body scanner" had to have a pat down. Both times the TSA agent was respectful and nothing further was done. I did not ask what the reason was for the extra search but I have to assume they saw something.

Jollis

Postby Jollis » Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 pm

I have a pacemaker and a Titan implant. So, I avoid the metal detectors and do the body scanner if they have one. If they don't have a scanner, they pat me down. I've never had any indication that they detected anything down there. In fact, I don't recall them ever touching my "junk".

I have never worried about it.

RickRed40

Postby RickRed40 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 am

Full body scanners allow TSA employees to see penile implants but won't cause any trouble or result in a pat down.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am

I never got patted down prior to the implant. Now it seems to happen about once out of every four screenings.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 am

I get questions about my cochlear hearing implant repeatedly (in this country and out of it), but never once about the penile implant.
IF any airport security questions it.. give them a show of how it works. :twisted:
51, San Francisco
Diabetic: used pills & injections.
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I've taken more than a dozen flights in the past two years. Never a mention (I'm not 8" though ...). I also have had a hip implant for 8 years and never a mention of it either at TSA....
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

upandhard

Postby upandhard » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:00 am

I've read some of the posts here in disbelief where some of you state that nothing was ever mentioned at the airport and that you've experienced no different treatment since your implants. I've had my implant for nearly 9 months and I have flown often since then. Since the implant, every single time I've gone through the full body scanner at an airport a pat down has followed. On one occasion, the TSA agent showed me the screen and the area around my groin was totally lit up. Recently, I've opted to request a pat down and just avoid the body scanner entirely. My experience has been exactly like JDavid's--no pat downs prior to implant, constant pat downs since. Has anyone else noticed this difference since getting the implant?

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:30 am

I have taken several flights domestic and overseas to London and Paris since implant and no pat down or issues yet. Went through body scanner almost every time.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

Return to “Implants”