Considering Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Mstone

Considering Implant

Postby Mstone » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 am

59 year old, almost 4 years post RRP, now suffering from Peyrones. After trying, meds, VEDs and injections it appears that implants are my best and only option. Who are the best Implant Surgeons in the Country? Any in the Rocky Mtn region, preferably Denver?

On first request my insurance company, Anthem BC/BS, is telling me the procedure will not be covered in my PPO. With that said, any ballpark estimate of the total cost of the surgery including pre and post Dr. visits?

Thank you for your help and advice.
Age 60, married, PSA 12.4 PCa 3/07, RRP 5/07, no extension, nerves spared, subsequent PSAs<.01, continent 10/10, ED continued with no effect from pills or injections, implanted 9/19/11 Coloplast Titan OTR.

Cajun Jeff

Re: Considering Implant

Postby Cajun Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

MsTone, I am also 59 and welcome to my world of BCBS. I got the same story not covered. I am still fighting them. In my case the injections are still working very well so I guess till I get them to reverse that decision I will continue to prick the dick. My other choice is wait for 65.

This really bites. I must say. Paul did list a bunch of surgeons on the board somewhere. If I find it I will bring it link to this post for you.

To answer your question I have prices ranging from 20K to 30K.

Cajun Jeff
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

franglais

Postby franglais » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 am

x
Last edited by franglais on Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

antelope

Postby antelope » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Keep arguing with BC. The Peyronie's may be your ticket to your new bionic pecker. Once you find a surgeon you like, they should be able to help you document the medical necessity--esp with the Peyronie's.

Welcome to the site. See you in the Chat Room.

Greg
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

tmwstw

Postby tmwstw » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I heard Dr. Milam at Vanderbilt can do this procedure for no insurance cases at the rate of 20,000. I know a doc in Miami, he did 2000 implants. He's specialized in SRS surgeries and is a well respected surgeon in that area (I'm not sure about the other aspects of his practice) His price is 14,500 all inclusive. If you really have no other choices because of the money, i would recomend him. This is his website penisdoctor.com.

antelope

Postby antelope » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Me, too, Scot. That dude does some interesting things. I'll bet his friends just call him Doctor Dick. Oh well, I'll bet he's crying all the way to the bank.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

tmwstw

Postby tmwstw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:44 pm

He's actually a 70 year-old doc. I met him in person for my consultation and i was surprised by how he can do so much at his age. He's specialized in Sex-exchange and very well-known among those people as well as the medical community. He does alot of urologiacl surgeries as well and the phalloplasty is just a small part of his practice. He's very easy to talk to and willing to listen to all of your concerns, i thought that he's very honest about telling you what to expect for the outcomes, goods and bads, he says it all. Onlything is he's pretty straightforward about the money, this is his private practice and he or his nurse will deal directly with you for the money part. He gives discount if you have more than 1 procedure done with him too.
Just my opinions ... :D

Mstone

Postby Mstone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Is there a source or site that rates implant surgeons?
Age 60, married, PSA 12.4 PCa 3/07, RRP 5/07, no extension, nerves spared, subsequent PSAs<.01, continent 10/10, ED continued with no effect from pills or injections, implanted 9/19/11 Coloplast Titan OTR.

george

Postby george » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi, As far as BC/BS is concerned keep checking, and get a written policy booklet, or go on line and read what the policy covers.
My BC/BS policy said it did does cover the surgery, but the on-line person said it wasn't covered. I called back and talked to another person and gave the page number and paragraph number. Then they said it was covered. BC/BS insurance has many different type of policies, and many different types of coverages. Just keep checking, you might be surprised as it could be covered. Good Luck!
George

Frank Talk Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank Talk Admin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Mstone:
There are no sites that rate surgeons. AMS and Coloplast have lists of implant surgeons who have taken their training course. It is illegal for them to list or rate these surgeons. We will not get into surgeon rating because, in the end, it is usually not in the best interest of the patient to do so since it can be so highly subjective and emotional. It is also asking a site or source to take a huge risk if an unhappy patient decides to sue since they could argue that a site recommended a doctor and was therefore, culpable.

If you are looking for a doctor in a specific geographical area, contact me and I can help with that. Ask the guys here. While there are about 8-10 surgeons who do most of the implants in the country, there are many, many surgeons who do superb work but not in high volume. So, ask guys on here for a doctor in your area or ask me and we can help get the list. But make sure you do your own research and answer the questions for yourself.
Paul

Return to “Implants”