Private Insurance in California that covers IPP

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
goose1235

Private Insurance in California that covers IPP

Postby goose1235 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

To be specific, Im in San Diego. I have surgery scheduled in summer, but Im about to switch insurance once Im off my moms plan because I hit 26. Employers insurance sucks and doesnt cover implants. Im deciding to go down the expensive private insurance route and funding it by selling off the little I have in investment (about 5k).

Which insurance should I go with? Aetna, BCBS? I want a relatively smooth process. I heard that sometimes insurance companies dont allow you to get a major surgery like this as a new member until some time has passed. How long is that wait expected?

Relatedly, I’m also getting surgery done with Darshan Patel at UCSD. Seems quite knowledgeable, but wondering if anyone has experience with him. Only met one person here that did their surgery with him, went well apparently.

Thanks for your help

LastHope

Re: Private Insurance in California that covers IPP

Postby LastHope » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:56 am

Cigna and Aetna will evade and attempt to avoid covering Penile Implants. They stand out as the worst insurance companies for ED patients

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm

goose1235 wrote:To be specific, Im in San Diego. I have surgery scheduled in summer, but Im about to switch insurance once Im off my moms plan because I hit 26. Employers insurance sucks and doesnt cover implants. Im deciding to go down the expensive private insurance route and funding it by selling off the little I have in investment (about 5k).

Which insurance should I go with? Aetna, BCBS? I want a relatively smooth process. I heard that sometimes insurance companies dont allow you to get a major surgery like this as a new member until some time has passed. How long is that wait expected?

Relatedly, I’m also getting surgery done with Darshan Patel at UCSD. Seems quite knowledgeable, but wondering if anyone has experience with him. Only met one person here that did their surgery with him, went well apparently.

Thanks for your help

Hi, Goose.

Blue Shied covered me almost 100% in California.
AMS 700 installed 12/22/22
REAR TIP Extender 5.0CM MR Conditional
AMS 700 SPHERICAL RESERVOIR 100 ML.
AMS 700 LGX INFRA PUBIC 18 cm
Dr. Jeffrey Loh Doyle- USC KECK
Prostate cancer survivor- RP performed 8/20
56, Marathon runner, John Muir Trail fanatic.

jwdetails

Postby jwdetails » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:43 am

Hi Goose, I had my implant removal and replacement surgery with Dr. Patel and recommend him very very highly. Very knowledgable, detail oriented, and does what he can to optimize YOUR outcome!

I think there are a few people on FT that have had surgery or considering surgery with him, haven't seen any red flags. Dr. Goldstein (also in San Diego) has a lot of experience and did my initial surgery, but his ego (and cash pay) is something else, especially after I spent so much money on shockwave and other treatments with him. If I had to do it again, I would have had Dr. Patel do my surgery from the beginning.

In regards to insurance coverage, BC PPO covered 100% of my revision surgery with Dr. Patel at UCSD.
62 year old with 37 year old wife, ED+PD got Coloplast Titan 22 cm no RTE in 2019 with Dr. Irwin Goldstein => pump failure, now revised with plaque excision/tunical expansion to Coloplast Titan 26 no RTE in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel. :D

goose1235

Postby goose1235 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm

jwdetails wrote:Hi Goose, I had my implant removal and replacement surgery with Dr. Patel and recommend him very very highly. Very knowledgable, detail oriented, and does what he can to optimize YOUR outcome!

I think there are a few people on FT that have had surgery or considering surgery with him, haven't seen any red flags. Dr. Goldstein (also in San Diego) has a lot of experience and did my initial surgery, but his ego (and cash pay) is something else, especially after I spent so much money on shockwave and other treatments with him. If I had to do it again, I would have had Dr. Patel do my surgery from the beginning.

In regards to insurance coverage, BC PPO covered 100% of my revision surgery with Dr. Patel at UCSD.

Thank you! Dr. Patel does seem very knowledgeable. Goodside bedside manner as well. I talked to Dr. Goldstein once, but yes, interesting personality.

Return to “Implants”