self pay IPP tax deductible?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Jage64

self pay IPP tax deductible?

Postby Jage64 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:59 pm

I'm wondering if I can claim this as an approved medical expense on my taxes, as it's an approved Medicare cost to address something as important as sexual health. I've read that women can deduct breast implants after cancer surgery or a mastectomy, seems I should be able to deduct the cost of making my dick work again. I see IRS language referring to prostheses, but nothing specifically about penile implants.

Anybody in the field know much about the tax situation for us self-payers? I'd probably rather not have a discussion with my CPA about it until I know if it's even a possibility.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

wolfpacker

Re: self pay IPP tax deductible?

Postby wolfpacker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:03 pm

Yes I claimed it on my taxes back in 2021 when I had my surgery. Got me a few thousand back in tax refund. Haven't been audited yet lol!
Early 30s with ED for years from penis enlargement stretching and jelqing. Implant by Dr Eid on 24 June 2021 with a Titan 24cm with +1cm RTE on one side and -1cm cut off on the other side

My journal: viewtopic.php?t=17202

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:13 pm

I second the yes. I do my own taxes and keep your hotel travel and eating out receipts. Some of that may have been removed this year. No need to tell your CPA what you had done. Just that it was for medical services. As I remember the travel and lodging and meals were in a different section. I have not had that for 6 years and my computer tax service only asks me about something if I had it last year.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm

Yes you can claim it

ippg12

Postby ippg12 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:33 pm

If you paid out of pocket it will be tax deductible but only that portion above 10 percent of income
For example
If your income is 100k upto 10k is not eligible
If your income is 200k upto 20 k is not eligible
So you can figure out how much tax deduction you can get
Chance of audit is less but keep all receipts in case

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:46 am

In tax class, my instructor said, "If you come out of an audit with the IRS owing you money, your tax preparer did not do a proper job." The meaning of that is that when preparing a tax return, take every deduction you possibly can (justify). If the IRS disallows it and the reasoning behind the deduction is legitimate, you just owe the tax and maybe some interest, but no penalty. If you don't take the deduction, you will never get the benefit.

Just for safety's sake, you might set aside the tax money you will owe if the deduction is disallowed.

This is from a guy who was so assiduous that he took a deduction for business travel from his place of full-time work to the college where he was an adjunct professor. Even though he drove right past his house at suppertime, he brown-bagged his dinner. The thing is, if he stopped at his house to heat, the travel distance from his fulltime work to his house and from his house to the college would not be deductible. But since he traveled from one place of work to another place of work WITHOUT stopping at his house, the entire distance traveled was deductible.

If you don't take the deduction, you certainly will not get it. If you do take the deduction you probably will. And there is virtually no downside to trying.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:32 am

My understanding mirrors the other posters. In my state. They were a year or two behind implementing the Federal deductable increase. So the following year I made out real well with some deductions that fell in the $10k exclusions but I got full benefit on my state return.

This wasn't medical related but an expense like medical that falls in the $10k deductible net. I say to claim anything that you can make an intelligent argument that some paragraph in the instructions says its allowed. You seldom get a penalty if the instructions seem to support your deduction. Of course the tax & perhaps interest will need to be paid if you're wrong.

If the instructions don't at the very least vaguely support your deduction? That is when you might get hit with a penalty. When in doubt, claim it. Let them deny it if they can actually find it. Most returns get very little if any scrutiny.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Return to “Implants”