Will medicare pay for a revision?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
ThailandBound

Will medicare pay for a revision?

Postby ThailandBound » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:30 pm

Don’t need a revision.

Don’t want one.

But, when the time comes i’m wondering if anybody knows if Medicare will pay for the revision?

I paid out-of-pocket for my original surgery in January. I retire soon and will have a rather curtailed budget so have been thinking about this.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

Gt1956

Re: Will medicare pay for a revision?

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:19 pm

Thats a really good question. Honestly I haven't thought much about that.

Best that I can say is to relate my sister in laws experience with her pacemaker. It finally got to the point where it wasn't working very well. I'm positive Medicare covered the replacement of it. There is no way that she could of covered it. She was almost destitute living on less than $1,000 a month.

I tried to stay out of talks about her health. She got the pacemaker just after turning 65. Was admitted through the emergency room. She'd bitch that she had not wanted a pacemaker but was unconscious when they did it. So I was surprised when she consented to its replacement.

Long story & I'm only guessing. If it was originally covered by Medicare? They'll replace it.

On the other hand. My sons father in law has had a kidney transplant. The story is that once he turned 65 he couldn't get a second kidney if it failed. But I think that is related to the shortage of organs more than a Medicare rule.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

SteveD

Postby SteveD » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:11 pm

There's a CPT code for the procedure but not sure this is a guaranteed deal - need someone with more knowledge to give us a better answer. We know Medicare will pay for initial insertion if ED is documented by a physician and other treatments have not worked. As you approach Medicare eligibility understand how Parts A and B work and the value of supplemental insurance including a pharmacy benefit. If per chance you're retired military or a Vet under VA Care there are some other options to consider.

"CPT® 54410 describes the removal and replacement of all components of a multi-component, inflatable penile prosthesis."
Somewhere on the journey after prostate cancer surgery 2019 - AMS 15/5 IPP 2 years later - saved by a very supportive wife and a great surgery team at Johns Hopkins.

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:14 pm

Yes, I believe they will. Dr. Clavell mentioned this to me prior to my surgery. I asked him about the new technology I had been hearing about in regard to implants and whether I should wait. He said get this one now, enjoy the hell out of it and the next one with all the new tech will be on Medicare's bill (I'm 58)
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

SteveD

Postby SteveD » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:23 pm

I love that attitude - 'enjoy the hell out of it!!' We need more healthcare professionals like Clavell!
Somewhere on the journey after prostate cancer surgery 2019 - AMS 15/5 IPP 2 years later - saved by a very supportive wife and a great surgery team at Johns Hopkins.

JetAirliner

Postby JetAirliner » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:29 pm

Thai .. Make sure that when you sign up for Medicare that you also purchase a Medicare Supplement plan to cover the the 20% that regular Medicare Part A & B “potentially may not “ cover

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:39 am

Medicare has 2 parts, Medicare A is the one you will get automatically when you turn 65. It covers emergency hospital admissions like a stroke, heart attack or broken bones. You still end up with a sizeable bill.
Medicare Part B is optional coverage you have to pay for monthly out of your SS check. It covers a lot more medical expenses like doctor visits, some medical equipment and surgeries. There are options to Part B seen as Medicare Advantage plans and other Part D, F, G. etc. (They keep making up new ones) There is an annual limit for your out-of-pocket expense but there is also a 20% co-pay for many services. The Advantage plans are similar but have tighter limits on some things.

If you have Medicare Part A & B and a private medical insurance plan like Blue Cross or United Healthcare the implant or revision will be zero cost. I had Part A and United when I had mine done and my co-pay was around $3,500. Billing lady told me to sign up for Part B and it would be free. I wasn't waiting once I decided.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

beachbum1

Postby beachbum1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:04 pm

Just seen this thread. I just got a
Replacement. 08/23/23. Medicare has paid for both the original and the replacement. As others have said, once your are eligible for Medicare and sign up, be sure to get a supplement plan with someone. My replacement, Medicare was billed I think somewhere around $22000+. Medicare approved I think $17000 and paid 80% my suplamental insurance covered the 20% cost me nothing out of pocket.
Had to join again as beachbum1. Was and am beachbum but chat has blocked me from a few members
First implanted AMS 700 CX 18+3, in Sept of 2016. Replacement AMS 700 CX 21+2 in August 2023

jwitten567

Postby jwitten567 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:22 pm

yes they will (or majority if you don't have supplemental or secondary insurance)
Radical Prostatectomy in 2015; failed pills, straight to Coloplast Titan in 2019 by Dr. Valenzuela in NYC, Replaced with AMS 700 CX in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel in San Diego, CA. Wish I jumped to an implant even before prostate cancer!

NorCol

Postby NorCol » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:05 pm

Had initial and revision by Dr Clavell with Medicare and supplemental insurance covering 100 % of cost for both.

Return to “Implants”