Back with sad news (sudden pump failure) questions about replacement surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
jackhammerdreamz

Back with sad news (sudden pump failure) questions about replacement surgery

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:33 pm

Hello FT brethren!

It has been a long time since my last post.
My apologies on being gone for so long and missing a lot of private messages.
Once I got acclimated to my new equipment, life, as it often does, just kept marching forward.
My mind doesn't have any worries or concerns over impotence now.
Even if today I do have the sad news of reporting my implant seems to have failed (scheduling appt monday to confirm).

Like many of you, I struggled with years/decades of erection failures.
You can look at my username/profile and find my posts here from years ago.

tl;dr 5 1/2 years with the Coloplast Titan Touch and it failed today (see signature for specs)

I went under the knife in February of 2018 and things have been great ever since.
Until today...
In typical fashion, I was getting ready for some self-pleasure.
Girlfriend lives out of state currently and I masturbate daily.
I usually pump 15-20 times and today I gave it 5 pumps and the bulb suddenly stayed flat.

I was super confused, this has never happened. Last night I pumped it and got hard before I fell asleep.
I then had two morning fap sessions so was just going in for a quick 3rd for the day. (this is normal)

The cylinders with 5 pumps of course felt semi-full.
I was able to stroke myself semi-erect and take care of business.
But I was noticeably much more flaccid.

I emailed my doctor as soon as I cleaned myself up lol.

Dr. Bodie replied surprisingly fast for a Saturday...
He gave me the bad news I was expecting.
He said it sounds like a classic case of fluid loss from the device.
This is typically broken tubing according to him.
He noted it will likely require a surgical fix to replace components.

I know HE is the surgeon and HE will be able to give me answers when I go in for an appointment.
-
But this site is incredibly invaluable with first hand experiences.
So my ask is, has anyone had this feeling or issue before?

Basically when I pump 4-5 times, the ball/pump feels like a flat raisin and doesn't refill with fluid to continue pumping it into the cylinders...
The shaft cylinders do hold the fluid that did make it in and stay semi-pumped holding the saline.
When I deflate, the fluid evacuates to the reservoir.
I can't "feel" any fluid loss, so I thought maybe there's a kink somewhere.
A hot bath hasn't loosened anything up or made a difference.

My current girlfriend is OF COURSE coming to visit this coming weekend. Worst timing.
She is very easy to bring to orgasm, so she is NOT worried about my pump not working.
She is absolutely incredible and a massive improvement over the guilt-addled relationship I left in 2018 (when I got the implant)

If you have dealt with a failure of this nature, I would be curious what was replaced.
Tubing and cylinders?
What was healing time like? Was it as long as your initial implant installation surgery?
Did you lose any feeling, shape, or have any other unexpected issues after a replacement surgery?

-

I'll keep this thread updated when I get an appointment and subsequent surgery etc.

-

Like I noted above, everything has been great up until now. I would not do anything differently in terms of this implant.
Every sexual encounter I've had since this implant (beyond the gf in 2018) has been a great experience for both parties involved and my girlfriend isn't even concerned. She's happy to take care of me, and knows that this is just a "me" thing and my "ego"... She knows that for men, our boners are important to us.
39yr old
Revision installed 1/2/2024
Coloplast w/ Genesis pump
PenoScrotal 20cm + 3cm RTE(right) & 2cm RTE(left)
-
Initial install: 2/6/2018
Coloplast Titan Touch
PenoScrotal 20cm + 1.5RTE
Failure: 9/2/2023
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

JohnHC

Re: Back with sad news (sudden pump failure) questions about replacement surgery

Postby JohnHC » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:18 pm

I had mine fail about 2 weeks after surgery, before I even got to start cycling. I noticed it had leaked down and gotten advice from Boston Scientific to go ahead and deflate the device then pump it back up. I deflated but upon trying to reinflate I'd get 2 pumps and that's it, bulb would go flat and nothing. So CT scan to confirm that yes reservoir was empty, then surgery to replace everything, they didn't know why it lost fluid so replaced it all. After removal they tested it and it had a pinhole in the left cylinder.

Recovery was about the same as the original surgery, very little to no pain, just the awkward swollen scrotum. Started cycling at 2 weeks and everything so far is working great ( only 9 weeks out from revision ). Hope yours goes as smoothly as mine went
AMS 700 CX 21cm x 12mm with 1.5cm RTE, MS pump, and Conceal Reservoir. Implanted on 4-12-2023 removed and replaced 6-22-23 with the same, 1st implant surgery had pinhole leak in left cylinder. Now awaiting third surgery unknown failure.

jackhammerdreamz

Re: Back with sad news (sudden pump failure) questions about replacement surgery

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:37 pm

JohnHC wrote:I had mine fail about 2 weeks after surgery, before I even got to start cycling. I noticed it had leaked down and gotten advice from Boston Scientific to go ahead and deflate the device then pump it back up. I deflated but upon trying to reinflate I'd get 2 pumps and that's it, bulb would go flat and nothing. So CT scan to confirm that yes reservoir was empty, then surgery to replace everything, they didn't know why it lost fluid so replaced it all. After removal they tested it and it had a pinhole in the left cylinder.

Recovery was about the same as the original surgery, very little to no pain, just the awkward swollen scrotum. Started cycling at 2 weeks and everything so far is working great ( only 9 weeks out from revision ). Hope yours goes as smoothly as mine went

Thanks for the reply JohnHC!
Good to hear your replacement is working and recovery is going well!

Yea my initial recovery was not bad and now that I know how terrible I come out of anesthesia they can dose me with the right anti-nausea meds to come out without the vomiting.

Still a bummer mine failed but hey I got 5 and a half years out of it.
Also strange it just suddenly failed. I didn't really do anything strenuous today that could've caused a breakage. Maybe it was a slow breakdown or leak.
Hope they test mine and I get information on what happened.
39yr old
-
Coloplast Titan Touch
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:25 am

When my Titan failed after tweive years Dr Kramer offered four alternatives: repair it, replace it, remove it, or forget about it. I chose the latter.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

jackhammerdreamz

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:33 pm

dg_moore wrote:When my Titan failed after tweive years Dr Kramer offered four alternatives: repair it, replace it, remove it, or forget about it. I chose the latter.

I'm glad that option works for you.

That is not what I will be choosing.

I don't think there are any improvements on implants so we'll see if he can just replace the tubing and reservoir or if the cylinders need replacement too.

--

As of today the leak seems to be complete, pumps about once but the cylinders get no saline.
39yr old
-
Coloplast Titan Touch
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

subhash

Postby subhash » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:26 pm

I too am facing exactly the same problem.
I simply cannot pump.

However when I struggle a lot and press the deflation button and sometimes the deflation block, after repeated attempts I am able to pump. It all depends on when the 'pop' sound comes and then everything is okay.

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Implanted AMS 700 LGX 15 + 4 RTE penoscrotal incision, 65 cc reservoir ;

jackhammerdreamz

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:48 pm

subhash wrote:I too am facing exactly the same problem.
I simply cannot pump.

However when I struggle a lot and press the deflation button and sometimes the deflation block, after repeated attempts I am able to pump. It all depends on when the 'pop' sound comes and then everything is okay.

Does the pump still re-fill? it's just hard to squeeze? I've heard of that issue.
You should be able to get enough pressure on it to move the disc.
Hopefully there's just a kink or something causing that.
I'd still suggest seeing your surgeon.

Mine is definitely a full leak failure.
I can't pump anymore today. The bulb has no fluid and the cylinders crinkle with nothing in them.
Sad times
39yr old
-
Coloplast Titan Touch
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

1380anthony

Postby 1380anthony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:57 pm

Hopefully you will gets things fixed asap. I always thought why they don't use ones own blood to fill the corpus cavernosum with a pump and seal it inside. Some devices fail too fast for what most men pay for.

subhash

Postby subhash » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:47 pm

When I start pumping, the pump goes kind of flat.only after manouvering with the deflate button and block, I am able to then hear the pop sound when I begin to pump.

It is becoming more and more challenging to pump

[When quote="jackhammerdreamz"]
subhash wrote:I too am facing exactly the same problem.
I simply cannot pump.

Does the pump still re-fill? it's just hard to squeeze? I've heard of that issue.
You should be able to get enough pressure on it to move the disc.
Hopefully there's just a kink or something causing that.
I'd still suggest seeing your surgeon.

Mine is definitely a full leak failure.
I can't pump anymore today. The bulb has no fluid and the cylinders crinkle with nothing in them.
Sad times[/quote]
Implanted AMS 700 LGX 15 + 4 RTE penoscrotal incision, 65 cc reservoir ;

jackhammerdreamz

Postby jackhammerdreamz » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:42 pm

Thanks 1380anthony
Yea that would be an interesting option!
Wonder if that could happen in the future.
Or I've always wondered about stem cells and nanotechnology.

Subhash that does sound like odd behavior for the pump.
I hope you are able to get in to see your surgeon sooner than later.

I was able to call my surgeon's clinic Tuesday and they got me scheduled for a consultation tomorrow 9/7.

Will post an update here afterwards. Hopefully with a surgery scheduled sooner than later.
39yr old
-
Coloplast Titan Touch
-
Dr. Bodie U of MN
ED for 20+ years

Return to “Implants”