Anxiety

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
SunsetEyes1977

Anxiety

Postby SunsetEyes1977 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:58 pm

I'm thinking of getting an implant. The anxiety over it is bothersome. My wife supports me. She's not crazy about the 6 weeks of no sex, but I've told her I'll take care of her during that time. My main concern is infection- but I'm going to follow all the after care steps to the letter.

I'm in Iowa and I've been told the best place to get it done is a "high-volume" procedural location. Not sure if this would be the University of Iowa, or somewhere else. I'm 4 hours from Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Louis- so I would think any of those places would have high-volume surgeons?

Of course I'm concerned about size loss/ girth loss. I have a pump and will do the proper pump exercises to stretch it out.

Reason I'm doing this? Trimix works but takes away the spontaneity. Pills work sometimes but cause side effects. Financially, an implant makes sense because it's cheaper in the long run than pills and Trimix.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
46 yr old. Married swinger. Implanted AMS 700 in Nov 2023. ED started in mid 40's with diabetes. TriMix worked but had scar tissue.

Red5150

Re: Anxiety

Postby Red5150 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:07 pm

Dr Levine in Chicago did mine right before Christmas. PM me and I’ll be glad to give you my # and tell you anything you want to know. Extremely happy with him and my results. A few minor hiccups but this thing rocks. Next best thing to being 21 again.
51 single , implanted December 2022 by Dr. Laurence Levine, Chicago, IL. Coloplast Titan 22 cm + 1 cm RTE. Started playing with Tri-mix and lead to my demise.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:27 pm

Just to let you know. 6 weeks isn't set in stone. If your recovery is going nicely. Generally your dr will allow gentle sex earlier. I'm sure that if your wife will weigh the benefits of the implant vs what is happening now. She'll understand the benefit of being patient.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

SWorks17

Postby SWorks17 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:36 pm

SunsetEyes1977 wrote:I'm thinking of getting an implant. The anxiety over it is bothersome. My wife supports me. She's not crazy about the 6 weeks of no sex, but I've told her I'll take care of her during that time. My main concern is infection- but I'm going to follow all the after care steps to the letter.

I'm in Iowa and I've been told the best place to get it done is a "high-volume" procedural location. Not sure if this would be the University of Iowa, or somewhere else. I'm 4 hours from Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Louis- so I would think any of those places would have high-volume surgeons?

Of course I'm concerned about size loss/ girth loss. I have a pump and will do the proper pump exercises to stretch it out.

Reason I'm doing this? Trimix works but takes away the spontaneity. Pills work sometimes but cause side effects. Financially, an implant makes sense because it's cheaper in the long run than pills and Trimix.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sunset, I had a little bit of the same anxiety about infection, but the docs have you go through a thorough Pre-op lab test to make sure everything is good before they cut on you. The folks they worry about the most are guys that have high A1C levels or diabetics, they are more susceptible to infections, but anyone could get an infection, just follow the Docs protocol to keep safe.

I had my implant done at a lower volume military hospital in San Antonio, Texas and all went well, but a lot of guys out there choose a high volume Doc. The six weeks seems long but it goes by pretty fast. You'll see what type of implant I got by my signature at the bottom. I would say for the guys that have penoscrotal, it takes longer to heal. I did have sex at 7 weeks but it was a little uncomfortable, I had some numbness and pain behind the glans, but it was decent.
The guys that have the infrapubic install, they heal much quicker and can have sex much quicker, I know one guy that had sex at 3 weeks.

I'm now almost 20 months out from surgery and everything is great! It's great to be able to have sex and not worry about if the pills will work or not depending on what you ate that day. I never did the trimix stuff.

Tell us a little more about you, so we can help you better.

Hang in there we've got your back.
Age 66, Garden Ridge Texas, Progressive ED after Boston Scientific Rezum procedure for benign enlarged prostate 19 May 21, AMS LGX 18 w 3cm rear tips installed 5 Nov 2021 by Dr Shane Barney, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Married 35 years

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:34 pm

Anxiety is the worst, for sure. You are correct that pills and injections kill the spontaneity. Plus, the fact they aren't reliable made me consider the implant. Infection risk is very low as long as you keep things clean and dressed like doc instructs. Believe me the few weeks you have to hold off will be worth it after you heal.
Best of luck on your decision.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Rider1400

Postby Rider1400 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:23 pm

Anxiety is normal to a degree. I’ve had several much more major surgeries than implant but with an implant you’re messing with my manhood!! Lol. Do what the Dr says and chances are usually in the 1-2% that you could get an infection… that’s really good odds! 98-99% that you won’t! As far as size goes, that’s where a high volume surgeon comes in. If properly sized, you should gain back to where you were. In a lot of cases if your average girth you will get all that back and in some cases you’ll get a little more. It took 7-8 months of cycling , but I got back to my original size and a little xtra girth to boot. Do your homework, get a good Dr and then put it in his hands and trust the process and all will be good.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

ThailandBound

Postby ThailandBound » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:46 pm

Chances are that you do not know anyone in your regular life who has had an implant. I think most of us were in that position and thus you really feel like a pioneer or the Lone Ranger. Stepping into the great unknown.

Your anxiety is normal. I am now six months postop, but the hardest period for me was the time between I said the surgery date and the actual surgery. Lots of second-guessing.

All went well! I’m back in the game and couldn’t be happier. Hang in there amigo.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

waiting4nitinol

Postby waiting4nitinol » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:48 pm

Getting an infection would also be my main concern but as others have mentioned, the odds are very low. However, let's say worst case scenario happened and you did get an infection, there seems to be an antibiotic called Mytomycin C that can be used to minimize scarring which would likely mitigate any size loss from occurring or at the very least drastically reduce it. I think this would be worth mentioning to your surgeon.

Here is a link to a study done on it:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9522019828
28, not implanted, mild/moderate ED due to HFS
Managing well but looking for a permanent solution
Unhappy with current implants, waiting for something more advanced
Putting my faith in the nitinol implant, Comphya's CaverSTIM or Implantica's PotencyFlow

Return to “Implants”