Pumping AMS 700 to max

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
sliphill

Pumping AMS 700 to max

Postby sliphill » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:03 pm

I have a question. My AMS 700 blew out last Saturday after 5 1/2 years of good service. I would regularly pump it up 50 times. Even after the bulb getting hard to pump. Do you think this might have attributed to the reservoir springing a leak?
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

sliphill

Re: Pumping AMS 700 to max

Postby sliphill » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:44 pm

What is the max number of pumps the AMS 700 should be pumped to?
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Bwtbbb

Postby Bwtbbb » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:52 pm

Question to and answer from Dr. Eid:

Question: It has been reported that you told a patient that pumping too hard (say using two hands for the final pumps) shortens pump life. To what degree is this known to be accurate? Is it enough of a consideration that you recommend against maximum inflation?

Answer: The component that is most likely to fail of the penile implant is the tubing connection at the level of the pump. Repetitive stress causes fracture of the tubing and leakage of saline. The tubing sustains tremendous pressure as well. The more one pumps the more likely the device will fail. The life expectancy of the device also depends on how the pump is positioned in the scrotum. Acute angulation of the tubing at the point of connection to the pump and tubing crossing over each other will foreshorten the life expectancy of the device

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Bwtbbb wrote:Question to and answer from Dr. Eid:

Question: It has been reported that you told a patient that pumping too hard (say using two hands for the final pumps) shortens pump life. To what degree is this known to be accurate? Is it enough of a consideration that you recommend against maximum inflation?

Answer: The component that is most likely to fail of the penile implant is the tubing connection at the level of the pump. Repetitive stress causes fracture of the tubing and leakage of saline. The tubing sustains tremendous pressure as well. The more one pumps the more likely the device will fail. The life expectancy of the device also depends on how the pump is positioned in the scrotum. Acute angulation of the tubing at the point of connection to the pump and tubing crossing over each other will foreshorten the life expectancy of the device

Thanks. I feel the tubing was much too long on mine. It fact it bunched land you could see it bulging out near the base of my penis. I’m
Going to point this out to the new surgeon. If he should go with another AMS 700, I will stop pumping when I get fully erect.
Ed (sliphill) 68

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:21 pm

sliphill wrote:
Bwtbbb wrote:Question to and answer from Dr. Eid:

Thanks. I feel the tubing was much too long on mine. It fact it bunched up and you could see it bulging out near the base of my penis. Also the pump was on the right side of my right ball. I’m going to point this out to the new surgeon. If he should go with another AMS 700, I will stop pumping when I get fully erect.
Ed (sliphill) 68

LeRoastBeef

Postby LeRoastBeef » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:39 am

I too have an AMS 700.

I'm slightly concerned by all this, as I pump up to the maximum.

I suppose it makes sense.

I also have the tubing looping at the base of my shaft.

It's obvious and prevents me from wearing a ring at the base.

I will be interested to hear if there is something they can do to lower your tubing.
Implanted with AMS 700 lgx, 2021.
30's
UK

Thumper007

Postby Thumper007 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:22 am

I pump to the max daily. Mine maxes out at about 25 pumps.
79 Yo, Gleason 9 7/20, RP 10/20, IPP 12/21 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE.100cc reservoir. 7.50L 6.0G

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:05 am

If the doctor uses preconnected devices the length of the tubing from the pump to the cylinder is the same. There is some adjustment that can be made with RTE's. Some would argue that best fit can only be achieved by cutting the tubing and splicing. As problems can result from this, doctors will use the preconnected devices. Part of the difference in doctors and the way they do the surgery. And the pluses and minuses of the different doctors.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Return to “Implants”