Any cyclists out there?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Jkeats

Any cyclists out there?

Postby Jkeats » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Greetings,

I am two weeks out from having an implant (Brigham and Women's here in Boston on August 27; AMS 700 Ultrex). Am recovering steadily and for the first time today have even considered working out again. Though this is still a bit down the road, I'm hoping to resume cycling again. Before the surgery, I was biking 70+ miles per week on my road bike in and around Boston. My urologist tells me that I shouldn't have any problem cycling again and that I won't need a special seat. (I was concerned about the middle "spike" of the seat causing discomfort and maybe even affecting the pump itself). Any experiences with this out there? Advice on working out, in general. I run, lift weights, and do plyometrics and like to work out hard --- any advice on resuming intense workouts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
58 yrs.; history of long term ED --- recently figured out this was due to chronic venous leak; implant of AMS 700 ultrex on 8.27.2012 @ Brigham and women's hospital, Boston MA

rlm1818

Re: Any cyclists out there?

Postby rlm1818 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I remember some comments a while back, either here or on the Yahoo Penile Implant forum from cyclists who used special seats. I don't have a link, but you could try the search function on the implant forum and over on Yahoo. I think you should be able to find some comments.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

Cajun Jeff

Postby Cajun Jeff » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:12 am

I am not bionic but I am a cyclists. Not sure you will need a special seat but you might want to look at the Adamo Saddle. Just a thought.

Cajun Jeff
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

Jkeats

Postby Jkeats » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the advice from you both --- I found the Yahoogroup entries and they also recommended Adamo seats. I'm actually feeling more and more comfortable as I heal up so am likely to try out my old seating system first.
58 yrs.; history of long term ED --- recently figured out this was due to chronic venous leak; implant of AMS 700 ultrex on 8.27.2012 @ Brigham and women's hospital, Boston MA

Future Shooter

Postby Future Shooter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 am

At week 6, my doctor cleared me for normal activities, including weightlifting (which I love). At first, I was careful, doing high reps, w/o doing legs or abs. Now, I am at about week 10, and am working everything hard again. I just make sure I wear a cup. The tips are sometimes a little sore after my workouts, but my implant continues to function well. Life is good!!!

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 am

Why do you wear a cup when working out? I work out also and want to do it right. I thought cups were to stop getting hit with a ball or whatever.

dennov

Postby dennov » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 pm

As a weightlifter I was wondering the same thing, you'd think the cup would get in the way.
61 year old with a 23 cm Titan.

UTprospect

Postby UTprospect » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Did you get a good answer yet?? Yes, I am a cyclist but no i don't have an implant yet.. The question of seats is a subject of very intense conversation amongst cyclists. The discussion has been around the reduction of blood flow through 2 arteries in the area from the scrotum back. There are many opinions here but all agree that blood flow is very, very important and can be cut off or reduced by bike seats. It seems that this issue depends on your specific anatomy and seat position. Therefore it is essential to be properly fit.. If you do 70 a week you probably already know this..Does your Doctor ride a bike?? If he does not he probably doesn't know the issue.. My urologist din't have a clue but still painted himself as an authority.. he didn't understand a modern road bike at all. My thinking is that you will just have to safely try it out. Pressure is bad regardless if you have an implant or not, right?? We have to be positioned on our "sit bones" to avoid pressure. I use a "drop nose" seat. that keeps pressure off of the " Taint". I constantly check to make certain that I am sitting on the "sit bones" Some feel that using a drop nose or no nose seat reduces your ability to steer or stabilize these touchy road bikes with the inside of your legs.. I agree with this but just remain cautious when going around corners or changing direction at high speed.

Jkeats

Postby Jkeats » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:45 pm

UTProspect ---- Thanks for the thorough response! I have taken my hybrid bike out for a spin with no problem whatsoever. I'm planning on taking out the road bike this weekend and seeing how it works. Was glad to get the reminder about the risks of seating whether or not I've had an implant. Before the implant, I didn't experience any numbness and was well situated on my sitz bones. We'll see what happens!

BrooksBro

Postby BrooksBro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:24 am

70 miles a week? Envious! This is the seat I have been considering: http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-road
Age 59, married 24 years, ED 7 years, Peyronies 3 years with venous leakage. Dr. Larry Lipshultz, Baylor, Houston TX.

Return to “Implants”