First attempt at pumping. How hard should bulb feel when squeezing?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Re: First attempt at pumping. How hard should bulb feel when squeezing?

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:51 am

Craigdwill wrote:The implant is AMS 700. I don’t know size, etc. my surgery was three weeks ago, but my first follow up was delayed until Jan. 10. I was sent home with post-op instructions to start cycling when I was no longer swollen, bruised or sore. Today was first time I tried pumping.

I have an AMS LGX and I beleive the pump is the same as-particularly yours, so my experience should be relevant.

When I first began to pump my implant, the valve was in in the "deflate" mode. (That is, AFTER deflating and NOT re-setting the valve, as many men -particularly with the Coloplast valves). A firm (not necessarily quick, but definitely firm and swift) squeeze would produce a palpable "crush" of the pump bulb. The bulb would be very firm and at some point, collapse becoming less firm when the valve rocks over to inflte mode.

Another way of looking at it is that when the valve is in deflate mode, the pump bulb is firm because the valve resists compression. Very little resistance to compression from hydrostatic pressure in the implant tubes, though. Just resistannce of the valve. When the valve flips to inflate mode, the resistance of the valve is suddenly gone. And the resistance of hydrostatic pressure in the implant's tubes is minimal, since the tubes are slack. As one pumps ore pressure into the implant tubes, that hydrostatic pressure increases.

All the foregoingdoes not take into account firmness of the pump bulb itself. Think of a tennis ball with two holes in it. Even if fluid flow through the holse was unrestricted, the tennis ball would resist being crushed easily. This is necessarhy because the tennnis ball is required to refill itself. Over time the tennis ball (pump bulb) gets "broken in" this resistance to pumping decreases.

Conintuing the tennis ball analogy, Valving allows fluid to go in or out whichever hole depending on the position of the valve. When the valve is set one way, squezing the ball sends fluid forcefully into th e implant tubes and he fluid is prevented from returning to the reservoir. When the valve is the other way, fluid can flow freely (by hydrostatic pressure from the implant tubes back into the reservoir.

To flip the valve from inflate mode to deflate mode, one must press a button on the valve body. To flip the valve from deflate mode to inflate mode, there is no button you can press. Instead, a firm squeeze on the tennis ball (pump bulb) presses an internal (button or something like it) device to put the valve into inflte mode. Pressing that internal button requires a firm squeeze. After that only the hydrostatic pressure in the implant tubes provide resistance to squeezing the bulb/ball.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it is late and I am tired. If I had more time I would have written a shorter post.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

JP1977

Postby JP1977 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 pm

gjmjoe017 wrote:Try squeezing your deflate button and then try depressing your bulb.There is a reset you can do like that.

Yes please explain this “reset” for titan one touch?
47 year old swinger. Had 36+ hour priapism that landed me in ER twice over 48 hours. Scarring in my penis makes it to where I’m at risk of severe priapism at any time. Erections inconsistent. Implanted by Dr. Eid on December 21st 2021, Coloplast Titan OTR

gjmjoe017

Postby gjmjoe017 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:31 pm

I was told that if the bulb is stuck and won’t depress to hit the deflate and it would release the bulb to inflate.
71 yrs.old married,ED for 7 yrs.Pills for 3 yrs,TriMix for 21/2 yrs.6 1/2 inches flacid,71/4 inches erect,6 inches girth.Coloplast Titan put in 11/13/20,Dr.Bozeman,Arkansas Urology,Little Rock.22cm + 2 RTE.

Craigdwill

Postby Craigdwill » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:26 am

Lost Sheep wrote:
Craigdwill wrote:The implant is AMS 700. I don’t know size, etc. my surgery was three weeks ago, but my first follow up was delayed until Jan. 10. I was sent home with post-op instructions to start cycling when I was no longer swollen, bruised or sore. Today was first time I tried pumping.

I have an AMS LGX and I beleive the pump is the same as-particularly yours, so my experience should be relevant.

When I first began to pump my implant, the valve was in in the "deflate" mode. (That is, AFTER deflating and NOT re-setting the valve, as many men -particularly with the Coloplast valves). A firm (not necessarily quick, but definitely firm and swift) squeeze would produce a palpable "crush" of the pump bulb. The bulb would be very firm and at some point, collapse becoming less firm when the valve rocks over to inflte mode.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it is late and I am tired. If I had more time I would have written a shorter post.

I don’t mind the long explanation. I really appreciate it. I do understand about the initial quick, firm squeeze, and I get how that works. I’m having a problem getting that quick, firm squeeze.

First day I tried, surgeon had left insert semi-inflated so the first thing I did was locate the deflate button. My scrotum is tight, but I was in a warm bath. The deflate button was very high up, but I found and depressed it, and felt a gurgle, so I knew that worked. I squeezed my penis down until it was deflated (still felt a little bit inflated to me, but definitely went down). Then I got a firm grip on the bulb (tricky because of tight scrotum, even after warm bath). I gave a firm squeeze, but the bulb didn’t feel like it was compressing at all. However, it did seem to be inflating my penis somewhat, then stopped. I tried deflating again, which worked. Then tried squeezing the bulb again with the same result. Bulb was hard. I tried pressing deflate button again, but still got same results.

Day 2: I did everything the same, and gave a hard quick squeeze. This time I felt the bulb squish a little. I did a second squeeze and felt a little bit of a squish and a little whoosh of fluid. Penis inflated a little, but then the bulb went hard and unsqueezable again. I still had some loose skin on my shaft, so I know there was more room to go, but I couldn’t squeeze any more. Tried deflating, then squeezed again. Same thing: Two semi-squishes, then bulb hardened again.

Going to try again today,
AMS 700 LGX MS Series, implanted Dec. 9, 2021. I’m 59 years old, married, diabetic.

Craigdwill

Postby Craigdwill » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:11 am

So, here’s an update. I’ve been experimenting with my new pump for three days. As I said, on the first day I felt almost no “give” when I compressed the bulb, but I did get some stiffening of my penis despite not feeling the bulb compress. Second day, I felt a little give from the bulb on the initial squeeze, and did feel a tiny “whoosh” of fluid. Second pump was also just a bit. Third pump, the bulb was hard like a marble and wouldn’t compress at all. My penis went up a bit, but I still had some loose, wrinkly skin on my shaft, so I felt like there was more room to grow. I’m going to keep trying. Maybe the bulb will soften.

I would really appreciate if someone who’s had the implant for awhile could describe what a successful pumping feels like. Does the bulb fully compress so you can feel it completely collapse? When your penis is as rigid as it’s going to get, does the bulb then feel hard like it just won’t pump any more? I’m beginning to worry that two weak pumps is all I’ll ever get. Maybe the bulb gets hard because I’m as erect as I’m going to get. I hope not because it stops at 3.5 inches.
AMS 700 LGX MS Series, implanted Dec. 9, 2021. I’m 59 years old, married, diabetic.

gjmjoe017

Postby gjmjoe017 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:27 am

Yes,you will be able to completely depress the bulb and mash it together.When you max out it won’t depress anymore.Hsng in there,you will get it!Takes a lot of patience to get started!First time I pumped up I couldn’t get it down,had to go to the Urologist office and get her to get it down!
71 yrs.old married,ED for 7 yrs.Pills for 3 yrs,TriMix for 21/2 yrs.6 1/2 inches flacid,71/4 inches erect,6 inches girth.Coloplast Titan put in 11/13/20,Dr.Bozeman,Arkansas Urology,Little Rock.22cm + 2 RTE.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 am

I have the Titan but the bulb was very tough to squeeze at first. Even now at 2+ years my bulb is still pretty tough but I've gotten used to it.
Had the same experience as gjmjoe17. Pumped up and could not deflate. Had to go to doc to get him to deflate me. Twice. It's embarrassing walking around with an erection you can't hide, LOL!
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 am

When I pump up real hard like 100% the release button needs more pressure to release it. Not much pressure needed to squeeze the deflate button if only pumped to 85%. My scrotum is always sore from having an aus pump also (they fight each other) so I use many short half pumps.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Craigdwill wrote:I don’t mind the long explanation. I really appreciate it. I do understand about the initial quick, firm squeeze, and I get how that works. I’m having a problem getting that quick, firm squeeze.

First day I tried, surgeon had left insert semi-inflated so the first thing I did was locate the deflate button. My scrotum is tight, but I was in a warm bath. The deflate button was very high up, but I found and depressed it, and felt a gurgle, so I knew that worked. I squeezed my penis down until it was deflated (still felt a little bit inflated to me, but definitely went down). Then I got a firm grip on the bulb (tricky because of tight scrotum, even after warm bath). I gave a firm squeeze, but the bulb didn’t feel like it was compressing at all. However, it did seem to be inflating my penis somewhat, then stopped. I tried deflating again, which worked. Then tried squeezing the bulb again with the same result. Bulb was hard. I tried pressing deflate button again, but still got same results.

Day 2: I did everything the same, and gave a hard quick squeeze. This time I felt the bulb squish a little. I did a second squeeze and felt a little bit of a squish and a little whoosh of fluid. Penis inflated a little, but then the bulb went hard and unsqueezable again. I still had some loose skin on my shaft, so I know there was more room to go, but I couldn’t squeeze any more. Tried deflating, then squeezed again. Same thing: Two semi-squishes, then bulb hardened again.

Going to try again today,

I found that holding the valve body with thumb and forefinger of one hand (reaching over the base of my penis) to stabilize the pump and squeezing the pump bulb between forefinger and the base of my thumb worked very well during the early weeks.

I figured out this as a guide: Compare how resistant to compression the sides of the implant tubes in the penis to the resistance to compression of the pump bulb. Hydrostatic pressure in the implant tubes should be about equal to the pump bulb and you should be able to feel that. At 100% inflation your penis should be pretty much unbendable.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”