Implant with previous inguinal hernia repair?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Rider1400

Implant with previous inguinal hernia repair?

Postby Rider1400 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm

I go in in two weeks to meet with urologist about going bionic. I had a double hernia repair with mesh about 20 years ago done laparoscopically. Any known issues with having had hernia repair and placing resevoir? Just another of 18 questions I have for the Dr…. Any input would help me with the nerves before meeting.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

Txagq8

Re: Implant with previous inguinal hernia repair?

Postby Txagq8 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Hernia guy here. Two inguinal, two epigastric, one umbilical.

The first inguinal was at age 3. The second at 60. I was 63 at time of implant.

The surgeon didn’t seem to think it would cause a problem and it didn’t. It might have influenced where he put the reservoir and I remember him saying the goal would be a very simple installation but I honestly don’t know where it (the reservoir) is. Obviously wherever he put it, it’s working out well.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

navy6587

Postby navy6587 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Rider1400...had two inguinal hernias...one left side at 4 yo (1951) and one right side at 63 yo (2010). The first left a 6" scar during the stone age surgery days and the second was performed laparoscopically and repaired with mesh. Told my uro surgeon about both...he said he'd hide the 75 cc reservoir behind my pelvic bone just above my penis (Retzius space). I can confirm this placement because I can trace the tubing from the base of my pump up from my scrotum and to the midpoint of my pubic hair just before it bends and disappears behind my pelvis. I have had no ill effects from either hernia on the IPP procedure nor visa versa. Hope your surgery/ recovery go well.
74; ED at 50. Fired by 1st doc (Szobota - VA Uro) too many q's & contact w/ Coloplast rep. New doc: Ellen (VA Uro) implanted 11/8/18. 22cm Titan + 2cm RTEs; moron docs, product rep, intake/ dischg nurses! NEVER again! L- 6.75"; G- 5.5" oval.

AST2123

Postby AST2123 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am

I also had 2 Inguinal hernia repair. The left one with a mesh, which was done one year before the implant. The surgeon located the reservoir on this side near to the mesh but a little higher. The reason is because I may need another repair on the right side with a mesh as well.
Finally Bionic
52y old. RP Oct. 2017. Pills didn't work. Trimix failed after a couple of times. Have inguinal hernia repair on both sides. Implanted AMS CX, 21 cm+1 cm RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at KP, VA, Jan. 2021. New username FinallyBionic

Return to “Implants”