Implants and Airport Body Scanners

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
dusty01

Implants and Airport Body Scanners

Postby dusty01 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:01 pm

As a recent implantee, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with airport body scanners detecting your hardware. With the recent news story involving a woman being pulled of an airplane because she claimed to have had explosives implanted within her body, and the ongoing development of undetectable "underwear bombs," is it farfetched to imagine an overzealous TSA agent pulling an implanted guy into a screening room because the body scanner picked up something with tubing and reservoirs in his pants? As one who frequently travels internationally, I don't relish the thought of having to explain, or worse yet, demonstrate my implant to a security guard in a crowded airport.

rlm1818

Re: Implants and Airport Body Scanners

Postby rlm1818 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I have only traveled a couple of times domestically since implant. No problem with either the old style X-ray or the newer backscatter whole body devices. This topic has been discussed a bit both here and on the Yahoo Implant Group. If you search the implant board here, or the yahoo group using "TSA", or "airport", or "travel" or similar terms, you will find quite a bit of discussion. Problems, I think, are pretty much non-existent for both domestic and international travel.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

shadowwolfe

Re: Implants and Airport Body Scanners

Postby shadowwolfe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Members of this board work closely with TSA to resolve problems. I know because a year ago I tried to pass TSA checkpoint and was pull because of the bulge in my pants (I have a Titan and it makes a significant bulge). They felt the implant (actually grabbing it) several times and told me it was not my penis. I explained to them but they told me I was lying. The only way it was resolved (after almost an hour) was totally undressing in front of several agents and a supervisor (total disrobe). Once they could see I only had a penis and no other object they apologized over and over.

Just be aware and prepared to drop your pants if they start questioning things. Since then I have gone through a few more times and used the body scanners and had no problem.
Prostate cancer at age 38? Implant Titan OTR April 28, 2011, Salt Lake City, UT. Line broke 2017 because pump was placed too high and a line was pinched. Replacement October 10, 2017 Reims, France with the new model Titan OTR.

Return to “Implants”