Does revision surgery increase the infection rate a lot ???

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
benefitter

Does revision surgery increase the infection rate a lot ???

Postby benefitter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:54 pm

There are a lot of papers that say infection rate is over 10% at revision surgery.
I am so worried about it because i'm young..

I may need at least one rivision surgery, maybe 2 or 3 times resurgeries.
young 20s male, but i think my only option is implant
not good at english

rooster2

Re: Does revision surgery increase the infection rate a lot ???

Postby rooster2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Since you are young, and hopefully healthy, your immune system should be good at attacking any bacteria. I think cleanliness at time of any surgery is the deciding factor as to what any bacteria gets introduced into the body. 10% sounds awfully high, I think any doctor, or hospital would consider that figure unacceptable, and clean up things for the better.
Age 72, married 30 years, had Robotic RP 8/06.17, non nerve sparing. Lengthy recovery problems after surgery & radiation. On hormone therapy so no libido. Use Trimix with results. Considering implant, concern re painful recovery

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm

There is a higher chance of infection during a revision. It’s not 10 percent that’s way too high.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:37 pm

I have not read any reports on revision infection rates so I cannot address the numbers. That being said there are many really good surgeons doing revisions when devices stop working and fixing problems caused by other doctors. But it seems to a given that infection rates for revisions are higher. I have read a report about surgeons who do 7 or less implants a year have higher infection rates than surgeons that do 8 or more. I would think this would apply revisions. And as said over all health of the patient would be a factor. I know I plan to take care of my self and have a revision if this one fails completely. But only with a surgeon I trust and that has a record of infection rates that they will disclose.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 pm

ED2013 wrote:There is a higher chance of infection during a revision. It’s not 10 percent that’s way too high.

Infection rate durring revisions is affected by many things.

The patients Health, age, medical conditions such as diabetes as well as the doctors skill and the cleanliness of the environment.

I had a doctor quote me a rate of 15%, "Anytime"; ... a surgeon touches a patient with a knife.

I guess you know he wasn't going to be my choice.

Under favorable conditions even 10% sounds high to me.

Some doctors quote 0.8% for first time and roughly double that for revision, but I've heard 1.5% & 3.0% too.

I think the concensus is that revision rates are roughly 2× the initial implant rate, whatever you believe that to be ... :roll:
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

Return to “Implants”