2nd Opinions/Revisions

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
justanotherdrumber

2nd Opinions/Revisions

Postby justanotherdrumber » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Has anyone needed to get a second opinion on an Implant toward a possible revision ?

What is the proper process?

How does that work with Insurance , paper work and Red Tape ?

What responsibility might the original surgeon have ?

Who does the revision?

On & 0n & 0n .......
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

williamb

Re: 2nd Opinions/Revisions

Postby williamb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

justanotherdrumber
Yes I did, I am not sure of the proper procedure but my procedure was to contact another implant urologist, I chose Dr Andrew Kramer. After a phone consult and texting some pictures, I spoke to his staff and gave her my Insurance info to get pre approved, Blood test results, original surgery report and anything else that seemed relevant. Then I waited for the Dr office to get the approval needed, which they did get.
Let the Dr office do the contacts because they know what to say, ask and answer without screwing up the process.
Original surgeon has no responsibility as far as I know , Mine is a somewhat arrogant ass and after a year of denying that there was any issue he decided that I needed to have a revision. I did not speak to him again.
I had Dr Kramer do my revision but I imagine that you search out a qualified surgeon that you feel comfortable with, have good recommendations for , referral from your 2nd opinion Dr.
If you want more info you can PM me and/or we will talk by phone
Dave
born 1949, Cancer 2014, 1st Implant AMS CX 18 + 3 RTE, Oct 2015 by a Houston Doctor. Left with loss of length, Floppy Glans and pain, a very poor job. Revision in Dec 2016 by Dr. Kramer, 21 + 3 1/2 RTEs, LGX, Regained length, Glans supported and no pain.

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 am

williamb wrote:justanotherdrumber
Yes I did, I am not sure of the proper procedure but my procedure was to contact another implant urologist, I chose Dr Andrew Kramer. After a phone consult and texting some pictures, I spoke to his staff and gave her my Insurance info to get pre approved, Blood test results, original surgery report and anything else that seemed relevant. Then I waited for the Dr office to get the approval needed, which they did get.
Let the Dr office do the contacts because they know what to say, ask and answer without screwing up the process.
Original surgeon has no responsibility as far as I know , Mine is a somewhat arrogant ass and after a year of denying that there was any issue he decided that I needed to have a revision. I did not speak to him again.
I had Dr Kramer do my revision but I imagine that you search out a qualified surgeon that you feel comfortable with, have good recommendations for , referral from your 2nd opinion Dr.
If you want more info you can PM me and/or we will talk by phone
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks a million !
You covered all the details I was basically concerned about. Primarily, making contact with the second opinion surgeon, forwarding relevant medical and insurance information, then allowing them to seek the pre-approval with the insurance carrier[s].

It all makes perfect sense.

Finally following through with the revision proceedure and being happy with the results.

Thanks for sharing your experience !

Rudy
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

palace01

Postby palace01 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:35 pm

I had my 1st implant by the same original Dr as Williamb, and I agree 100% with him about the Drs attitude,rudeness, and responses to the problems I had.
After chatting with Cincinnatus I went to see Dr Khera who within a few short weeks had me booked into hospital and Medicare agreeing to the need for a revision.
He is a MUCH more pleasant Dr and did a much better job, even though I still have a few regrets that I didn't follow williamb and head for Baltimore..
I have NO IDEA whether the original Dr knows anything about my condition or status, but I do know that what he wanted to do was not pleasant and not needed..
Good Luck - Cheers - 'another' Dave
Age 73
Apr-15-14. RP-Pills, Injections No help. VED(almost old size in tube).
Feb-12-16, Dr Cornell, AMS-CX "18+4" LOTS PROBLEMS!
Jul-6-16 Dr Khera ColoPlast "20+1" Very Unhappy with very short length/width but Dr insists correct

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 pm

palace01 wrote:I had my 1st implant by the same original Dr as Williamb, and I agree 100% with him about the Drs attitude,rudeness, and responses to the problems I had.
After chatting with Cincinnatus I went to see Dr Khera who within a few short weeks had me booked into hospital and Medicare agreeing to the need for a revision.
He is a MUCH more pleasant Dr and did a much better job, even though I still have a few regrets that I didn't follow williamb and head for Baltimore..
I have NO IDEA whether the original Dr knows anything about my condition or status, but I do know that what he wanted to do was not pleasant and not needed..

Hello another Dave,
Thank-you for sharing your experience. Your invformationhelps sooth my mind.
Thanks again,
Rudy
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 pm

palace01 wrote:I had my 1st implant by the same original Dr as Williamb, and I agree 100% with him about the Drs attitude,rudeness, and responses to the problems I had.

Feedback delivered to the American Medial Association and any professional associations that provided certification to your surgeon (with Urologists, Urological Surgeons the medical schools that he attended. and any other professional organizations that certified you surgeon as well the medical schools he attended and the hospitals that granted privileges would be in order). IMPORRTANT!!! to include appropriate documentation to ensure that your report of substandard care is taken SERIOUSLY.

It bears repeaihng. DOCUMENTATION of medical care that falls short of the medical "Standards of Care" is VITAL to having your complaint taken seriously and sparing other men from being butchered. Also, such complaints are not to be bandied about lightly. Be absolutely sure you have a valid complaint.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:

Feedback delivered to the American Medial Association and any professional associations that provided certification to your surgeon (with Urologists, Urological Surgeons the medical schools that he attended. and any other professional organizations that certified you surgeon as well the medical schools he attended and the hospitals that granted privileges would be in order). IMPORRTANT!!! to include appropriate documentation to ensure that your report of substandard care is taken SERIOUSLY.

It bears repeaihng. DOCUMENTATION of medical care that falls short of the medical "Standards of Care" is VITAL to having your complaint taken seriously and sparing other men from being butchered. Also, such complaints are not to be bandied about lightly. Be absolutely sure you have a valid complaint.

How much documentation can there be besides the original surgeons recording and the records of the revising surgeon ?

0R Are you suggesting o be certain that to actually obtain copies of that doccumentation ?
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:48 pm

I think you should let the original doctor know what was done to fix his screw up. Maybe if he knew that other doctors are fixing his mistakes, he would be embarrassed and stop being such a horses ass about it. :)

Larry

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Larry10625 wrote:

I think you should let the original doctor know what was done to fix his screw up. Maybe if he knew that other doctors are fixing his mistakes, he would be embarrassed and stop being such a horses ass about it. :)

Larry

The original surgeon, in my case has already been notified of my intention to seek a second opinion and possible revision. They, along with their superiors will absolutely be notified of the results of the exam, possible revision and the findings durring that revision.

The second opinion machinery has been set into motion with openings in early August.

Thanks for your help and input also Larry.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

justanotherdrumber wrote:
Larry10625 wrote:

Larry

The original surgeon, in my case has already been notified of my intention to seek a second opinion and possible revision. They, along with their superiors will absolutely be notified of the results of the exam, possible revision and the findings durring that revision.

The second opinion machinery has been set into motion with openings in early August.

Thanks for your help and input also Larry.

My pleasure. :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”