Infections

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Larry10625

Re: Infections

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:22 pm

JayGould wrote:How long after the procedure is done is there a risk for infection? Thinking of how long I should stay in the country after surgery.

My septic infection was 1 month after the implant

Larry

JayGould

Postby JayGould » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Larry10625 wrote:
JayGould wrote:How long after the procedure is done is there a risk for infection? Thinking of how long I should stay in the country after surgery.

Larry

Did you do anything that could've set it off?

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I think that if you make it to day 45 after surgery without infection, then you are "free and in the clear".

Fortunately, you will have enough earning signs with the infection that you likely will have at least 48 to 72 hours lead time between discovery of infection and return to the surgeon who implanted you.

Your US surgeon will have specific instructions to you regarding when you can leave for a distant destination . For me, I was told to make plans to leave the US east coast 72 hours after surgery -- 6 hour flight. If Eid is your doc, his office staff (they are really experienced with overseas patients going as far as Dubai) will tell you exactly what is required.

Note, infection in the best of hands should happen with odds of roughly one in a hundred.

If you feel the need to "hang around in the US" for recovery because you are a 20 hour flight away, then I would suggest that you plan on staying 14 days after surgery. That way you can have the all important activation visit and suture removal visit on day 14. If you look good at day fourteen, then there is a 99.5% chance that you are good to go for at least a decade. But, the office, and your surgeon are the best people to advise you on this. My vague opinion is that most patients who are overseas a(and have used the surgeon I am familiar with) will leave town around day 4; provided they have a decent local urologist to take out the stitches and to just observe the overall healing.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

JayGould

Postby JayGould » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Yeah I will have to ask the surgeon later and listen to his advice. I intended to at least stay until activation of the implant. I however have an autoimmune disease which strikes me in airplane cabins among other locations, so I'm a bit weary of travelling.

Thanks again for another very informative post.

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 pm

JayGould wrote:Yeah I will have to ask the surgeon later and listen to his advice. I intended to at least stay until activation of the implant. I however have an autoimmune disease which strikes me in airplane cabins among other locations, so I'm a bit weary of travelling.

Thanks again for another very informative post.

Jay where did you say you are from
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 pm

I will try to get the information source, but I read that there have been rare cases of infections close to the year after implantation. If I recall correctly, there is a kind of bacteria that grows slowly, creating a film surrounding the implant components. The signs and symptoms are not evident until late in the process.

I will do a search again to find the information source, and will report it back.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

JayGould

Postby JayGould » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:23 am

Tybeeman wrote:Jay where did you say you are from

I live in South America.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:48 am

JayGould wrote:
Larry10625 wrote:

Larry

Did you do anything that could've set it off?

I really didn't think so. The only thing that I can think of is possibly urine dribbles, but when I mentioned that on here, a few know-it-alls told me I was full of it because urine doesn't contain bacteria (wrong) Anyway, keep the urine off it and use polysporin on the incisions. Keep the area clean. One urologist said to soak in a bath with Epsom salts and another said no. Ask you surgeon about that. The last time I had surgery there, I did and had no problem with infection.

Larry

Zxylpk

Postby Zxylpk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 am

I'm almost 4 months post implant. Last Sunday I came down with fever & chills - thought I had the flu. I slept for 3 days, in and out of fever. I finally forced myself to take a shower and noticed my scrotum was swollen and sore. I called my surgeon and he got me in the next morning. I'm now on day 4 of heavy antibiotics. Pain and swelling (finally improving) has been as bad as or worse than surgery. Until this, everything had been great, Enjoying sex. I was back to exercising daily, gardening and doing pretty much everything I was doing before. Neither Dr. nor I know yet what set it off - or maybe he does by now after blood tests. I'll be seeing him soon. ThePlumber, if you find that article I'd be very interested, Patrick
74 y/o Implant 21cm, 1cm rte ams 700 CX, Feb 21, 2017, Dr. Karpman, Mt View, CA

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Still looking. I think it is within the Mayo Clinic website.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Return to “Implants”