4 WEEKS AND COUNTING

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
rglassva

Re: 4 WEEKS AND COUNTING

Postby rglassva » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:49 am

Different subject but adding it to this post since it's already here - I also suffer from low testosterone - have tried the gels (Testim and Androgel) with some success but on my new insurance plan the cost for these was $400-$800 per month. Uro recommended injections - and started me at 1/2 cc (ml) per week. After about one month I had levels tested - blood was drawn on a Thursday, I was due for another injection on Friday. T-level was 180! VERY LOW! So he doubled my dose to 1 cc which I've been doing for about a month now. Went in yesterday and had blood drawn - again one day before injecting, was going to inject today, and go back again tomorrow to get blood drawn again to be tested - to see how low it was getting between injections. Doc just called and said my T-level was 1400!!!! What the heck? So now I skip this week's injection and go to 3/4 cc starting next week. What a roller coaster - and honestly, can't say I feel any different at 1400 than I did at 180. Anyone experienced anything similar? Doc said I should have more energy and feel "frisky" (my word, not his) at higher levels - I WISH! :-)
Oh, and also, now 3 weeks and counting til implant surgery.
Rick
rhabdomyosarcoma - 1975
chemo/radiation
e.d. since puberty

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 am

rglassva wrote:Different subject but adding it to this post since it's already here - I also suffer from low testosterone - have tried the gels (Testim and Androgel) with some success but on my new insurance plan the cost for these was $400-$800 per month. Uro recommended injections - and started me at 1/2 cc (ml) per week. After about one month I had levels tested - blood was drawn on a Thursday, I was due for another injection on Friday. T-level was 180! VERY LOW! So he doubled my dose to 1 cc which I've been doing for about a month now. Went in yesterday and had blood drawn - again one day before injecting, was going to inject today, and go back again tomorrow to get blood drawn again to be tested - to see how low it was getting between injections. Doc just called and said my T-level was 1400!!!! What the heck? So now I skip this week's injection and go to 3/4 cc starting next week. What a roller coaster - and honestly, can't say I feel any different at 1400 than I did at 180. Anyone experienced anything similar? Doc said I should have more energy and feel "frisky" (my word, not his) at higher levels - I WISH! :-)
Oh, and also, now 3 weeks and counting til implant surgery.
Rick

Rick, my experience with T therapy was similar to yours. I was able to raise my numbers using Androgel, but the increased T level did not result in any perceptible change. Because T therapy is not without risk, I discontinued it since I didn't realize any benefit. I don't know what my level is now, but given my age and circumstances it doesn't really matter any more.

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!

Dave
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 pm

I was diagnosed with low testosterone around 15 yrs ago and started using testosterone cream 100mg/gm: dosage 1/2 gm twice a day. I am now 69 years old. Testosterone supplement results: 1) Great sex drive for past 15 years. Still getting into bed with my bride everyday for some fun. 2)Strong, buff physique - I can still out lift most of the young studs at the gym 3) Feel great with lots of energy.

I'm certain that if I had stayed low T, none of the above would be the case. You should read the book "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Dr. Eugene Shippen. I've had occasion to meet and speak with Dr. Shippen - very, very smart and a great guy who knows his stuff. You'll get lots of good info on the issue.

As far as costs, Androgel is just way too expensive for what it is. I get much better testosterone cream from compounding pharmacies for a much, much better price. Currently, I'm paying $75 for 3 months of cream at my local compounding pharmacy.

15 years experience: Don't worry much about the test numbers. Our bodies are all quite different and respond very differently to hormones. I went to medical school for a while and was married to an MD for quite a few years. Unless they specialized in endocrinology, I can tell you that very few docs know much about hormones. With hormones, you body is best at telling you what's going on. Get familiar with the symptoms of too much and too little. Then, listen to your body. When you get it right, it will feel right. You'll know it.
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

Return to “Implants”