Trimix at room temp

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
keysdude

Trimix at room temp

Postby keysdude » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:26 pm

I screwed up and went on vacation and left my bottle of trimix sitting on my bathroom counter for two weeks. Now I'm afraid to use it. Should I toss it. Will I have a bad reaction to it if it sat un refrigerated. Please I need advise on this. Thanks

newtoed

Re: Trimix at room temp

Postby newtoed » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 pm

I just had the first failure yesterday in many months. I have been carrying these prefilled syringes for weeks in and out of the freezer. Yesterday had a flop. Need to be more careful how many stringers I make ahead of time. It needs to be fresh. After two weeks someone said it would lose about half of its potential.
Age 54, Single, Los Angeles. Stage 2 rectal cancer in 2013. Radiation, surgery, chemo. In remission for 5 years. Some ED before cancer, complete since. 2-3 units of Trimix 40/30/2 2-3 times a week since Feb/2017 with great success!

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm

I wouldn't use because.... 1)it will definitely be less potent 2) may have bacterial growth

keysdude

Postby keysdude » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you guys, I'm going to toss it.

Cigar56

Postby Cigar56 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Just me, but I wouldn't toss it. Over the years guys here have reported about leaving Trimix out in the open for extended periods -- even in a car in the dead of summer -- with no ill effects.

There are no medical reports -- none -- of a guy suffering ill effects from degraded Trimix. The worst that can happen, based on the science so far, is that the drug won't be as effective.

Frankly, I'd give it a try and see what happens.
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 pm

This isn't about leaving it out for a day or two...it's TWO WEEKS. Potency isn't the primary concern here....it's possibility of bacterial growth in a formula intended for constant refrigeration. Although probability isn't high (supposed to be sterile solution), it's certainly INCREASED by being left at room temp. Why take the chance to save a little $$, especially since chance of reduced potency is MUCH higher (at TWO WEEKS room temp).

keysdude

Postby keysdude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm not going to chance it. I'm throwing it out.

Ahappigui

Postby Ahappigui » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 am

In such an instance, consult a pharmacist! Not a big deal to find the scientific ans!

Cigar56

Postby Cigar56 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 am

rahod1 wrote:This isn't about leaving it out for a day or two...it's TWO WEEKS. Potency isn't the primary concern here....it's possibility of bacterial growth in a formula intended for constant refrigeration. Although probability isn't high (supposed to be sterile solution), it's certainly INCREASED by being left at room temp. Why take the chance to save a little $$, especially since chance of reduced potency is MUCH higher (at TWO WEEKS room temp).

It is important to note that none of us here (that I am aware of) is a medical professional. As much as possible we should state facts. There is NOTHING online about Trimix developing bacteria after being left out of the refrigerator for extended periods -- even two weeks. Nor is there any messaging on the warning labels about a danger of bacteria.

Pharmacists do warn that Trimix can lose its potency after being unrefrigerated. That is fact. But I have seen no warnings at all about bacteria forming. There also are no reported cases -- that I could find through Google searches -- of men being injured by Trimix left out for an extended period. All the material I have read is that the drug will simply lose its potency over time until it is incapable of producing an erection.

Obviously the original poster should discard the medication if he is uncomfortable injecting it after having left it out for two weeks. That is a personal decision.

If someone has information to negate what I have posted then please share.
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:59 pm

OK..I found this study on STERILE BAGS (Saline) used MULTIPLE times. Keep in mind the TRIMIX vials are also used
multiple times. That is, syringe is inserted many times.
Bottom line...I would NOT want to *roll the dice* in this situation (2 weeks)...given the fact the TRIMIX potency is likely less potent as well.

Assessment of Sterility in Fluid Bags Maintained for Chronic Use:

These results suggest that fluid bags used chronically can be maintained in a sterile condition for a maximum of 30 d.

Currently in our facility, we discard any open fluid bags after 3 d due to concern for bacterial contamination. The Emory University IACUC allows the use of open fluid bags for subcutaneous administration for as long as 30 d if refrigerated, although the committee recommends discarding any unused fluids after 7 d

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3189676/

Return to “Injections”