Shaving length

Specific talk about pumps: Questions, hints, recommendations, etc.
Quincy

Shaving length

Postby Quincy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello all. First post other than my "hello" post.

I'm new to all of this. Just got a low-end pump for the first time today. I've never used a ring, a pump, an injection, etc., etc. I've been reading all the forums avidly. Ed from diabetes and raditation therapy for prostate cancer. Will try the pump for the first time tonight. Went into a sex shop for the first time today. Nice place, all women working. I was embarassed to talk with anyone except my docs and my wife about pumps and rings and such, but made it through. Now my question:

I've read the treatment section and several posts about the need to shave - suction for pump and to keep from screaming when removing rings. Another poster I saw said he wished he hadn't done it as his wife doesn't like the prickly feelings of the stubble. I'm not really interested in being smooth, but I don't want removing the rings to hurt and I want the pump to work. How short should the hair be? I'm going to invest in a personal groomer and wondering if anyone has experience with different lengths of hair.

Thanks for all your posts everywhere and this great resource.

BTW, is this the right place to post a shaving question since I'm doing it for pumping?
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Titan_Man

Re: Shaving length

Postby Titan_Man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 pm

I normally keep mine smooth but shave after it gets to about 1/8 inch. I have not really had too much trouble with that length. Also, 1/8 is a standard length for most grooming kits.

Personally, going smooth is a lot better for the wife during oral, it really depends on what ur looking for and commitment on maintenance of your grooming. Good luck.
David, 33, from Central MA
Erectile Dysfunction all of my life
Severe venous leak
Coloplast Titan OTR implanted 9/4/12

dtwarren1942

Postby dtwarren1942 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:47 pm

I shave the "ring" around the base about every two weeks.

Be careful with the cheap pump system and try not to pump the vacuum level too high. The first time you see your unit become engorged beyond your normal girth and length it is tempting to increase the vacuum further to see how big you can get it. Please avoid the temptation and limit the time under vacuum to 10 minutes for the first few weeks in order to get your unit properly conditioned.Excess vacuum and/or excess time under vacuum can cause tissue bruising and possibly blisters if you over do it.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

regal1945

Postby regal1945 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:58 pm

:D Shave it down to cause less pain removing the ring, my wife would never shave and I talked her into it and now can lick her clit until she orgasms 3 times in 10 mn, hard to do with hair in the way! she says she will never have hair there again lol:):):)

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for the great replies! What a great site this is.

dtwarren - your post brought up a question I'd never considered - leaving the pump on and active for time. I'd like to hear more on this topic. I haven't seen any other posts about it, but I haven't read every post yet. I'm going to put the question in another thread so it doesn't get buried.
71, Boise area, Married

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Greg:

As you are learning, some shaving is required. But it is not a big deal and how much and where is your call. When I first joined and needed to begin to pump, I was getting all kinds of advice, encouragement, and suggestions. The main theme of some of the guys was I should just shave it all off and take the new look; that I would really like it. But, that is not me and I was not certain how to proceed since one must do something. Then one member suggested that I just shave up into the "forest" enough to allow the pump base to seat. That made sense and so with some trepidation (having never done anything like that before) I showered and proceed to try the new look. I had been doing a light trim to maintain some evenness of the overall look but nothing to this extent. I got a Gillette Fusion Proglide and using some conditioner went to work. I was advised that if I didn't like what I did- it would grow back and was more "protected" than a bad haircut. . . . . It was easy to do and I was mildly surprised how erotic the act of shaving there was and is. Now, I had been strongly encouraged by this same rabble bunch to also shave the boys as I would like the feel and look. OK. Stepping out on the wild side I did: and I still do!! It was a wonderful feeling for me and I have enjoyed the sensations of bare balls across undies and sheets and in the hand. Always something to learn.

So have some fun and enjoy the new you and look. I touch up 2 - 3 times a week as I shower and it takes almost no time.

Good luck with the new look and remember this is a new fun part of your new normal you are seeking.

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 am

Hello again. I'm making good progress on many fronts. Thanks for all the help along the way. I thought someone new guy might get some benefit from what I've done, so here's my shaving saga, along with some questions. I went through this progression:

1. Trimmed just around the shaft. It looked funny to have that trimmed and jungle everywhere else, so I . . .
2. Trimmed most of the area below the belt. However, I felt that the trim wasn't short enough for the pump, so I . . .
3. Got a Body Groomer and shaved the area around the shaft. Felt great, good pump seal, but looked funny with hairy balls, so I . . .
4. Shaved my balls, applied coconut oil or mineral oil (I like them both. Coconut oil feels better, mineral oil is more soothing on razor burn.

What a progression. I really like the feel of it all, though I think I'll hesitate before putting my shaved look in front of other guys in a locker room (shaving your pubes at your age?).

My experience with the Body Groomer was that it worked fine, especially as a trimmer, even to very short length, but it wasn't so good at shaving. The shaving head has trimmers on each side that are somewhat sharp and can scratch. I took 3 tries to shave everything, over 3 days, each time getting a little closer. By the time I finished, the hairs weren't fully gone but I was experiencing some nasty razor burn, and I didn't think I'd get much closer. So now I'm thinking about trying a standard razor. In chat some folks mentioned the Fusion razor, I think.

Still not sure about a shaving cream. I do a lot of web searches when working on new things (it's how I found FT), and each one has something different to say about what type of shaving cream/gel to use. Some say use your wife's hair conditioner, as it works better than anything else. Others say use a shaving soap. Others say soap dries your skin too much, use a gel. Some say you want a thin lather so you can see what you're doing - or even something that glides but has no later, while others say you want the lather as thick as you can get it. The only consensus point was: don't use mass-market aerosol shaving creams.

What are you guys using (and why), and what have you tried that you don't like? Do you use a shaving brush to apply it? Any tips for how to successfully take something so sharp across a surface with so many wrinkles? Ack. I can't believe I'm going to do this. :D

Thanks!

Greg.
Last edited by Quincy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
71, Boise area, Married

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Greg:

Great description.

I just use my conditioner: whatever is in the shower. Never had an issue. I found that shaving cream was messy and really didn't work in the shower. However, I don't use a gel shaving cream. I just rub it on with my hand and get it everywhere- easy to do and feels good. The Gillette Fuson Proglide has 5 very protected blades and I've never had an issue with any skin getting in the way. It is a very smooth shave and leaves you very nicely clean of hair. Even in the cold weather of the Midwest when my balls gather themselves close to home base I've not had an issue.

Just experiment a bit and enjoy the shaving process- it is a part of your new normal. Oh, I agree; I REALLY like the coconut oil. It is great and I'm now using it as a general moisturizer and am pleased.

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

dtwarren1942

Postby dtwarren1942 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Are you using the Norelco body groomer? This is the one I use. I do not use the edges, but rather keep it as flat as possible and have never had any experience of cutting. Never found a need to use any lotions after using it. Perhaps my pubic hair is finer than most. The Norelco Body Groomer is battery powered and can be used in the shower.
Age 81
Diabetic
Pumping
Started Trimix injections 8/'11

antelope

Postby antelope » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 pm

I use the Norelco body groomer (dry) about once a week with good results. I also use plain old baby oil on my assets after every shower and every shave. Nice all around.

Greg
Baton Rouge
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

Return to “Pumps (Vacuum Erection Device)”