New to site

What are your fears? Ideas? Hints? to coping with ED. What helps you with your mental game? How are relationships affected?
starman

New to site

Postby starman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Well I do not know quite how to begin...am 65 yrs. old ...recently diagnosed with peyronies (hope spelled right)..was given shot to produce erection...dr. said it was not cancer but a small deposite towards end of penis, causing penis to bend...was advised to get penile implant ...am leary of this option...just scared I guess..but miss sex..wife of 40 years said she was with me whatever I decided to do...then got letter from Dr. that he was leaving practice and to find new dr...I am wondering why he did not advise to remove growth instead of implant?...anyone had this same problem and what was outcome? Am going to see new Urologist soon...I am going to ask about the option of removing growth...anyone recommend any Urologist near Tyler, Texas? ..fortunately have good insurance so cost is not a consideration.....Thanks
65 yrs. old, diagnosed with peyronies,have small growth about 2 in. from head of penis,dr. recommended penile implant . I am scared I guess. Dr. sent letter 2 weeks ago that he was retiring and that I need another Dr..live outside Tyler Texas 75703

Bob1974

Re: New to site

Postby Bob1974 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am

You might want to repost this under "General discussion" forum instead of the "Emotional and Mental Support" to get more people to look at it and hopefully get the feedback that you want?
Age 47. Married in 2005. Tampa Bay Florida USA. Got ED 24 years ago from being paralyzed. Made a 90% recovery. See profile for more info...

antelope

Postby antelope » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 am

Starman,

I have no doubt you can find a competent urologist in Tyler. They don't call it the "East Texas Medical Center" for nothing, eh?
I suggest you speak to your Internist/Primary Care Physician and ask him/her for a recommendation.

At the same time, please understand that ED is a symptom--and that symptom is caused by some other physical booboo. I strongly suggest you ask said PCP for a complete physical. And I mean top to bottom: complete Blood Chemistry Profile (including Testosterone), treadmill, and all the other fun stuff, which certainly includes a DRE (the beloved "digital rectal exam), and--even more fun--a colonoscopy if you have not had one in the last 5 or 10 years. Before submitting Little Starman to the knife, you and your medical team need to have a COMPLETE picture of your overall health. You probably need to deal with "other stuff" before going under the knife.

Normally, I would advise you to try all the less invasive ED remedies before going to the implant, but it is my understanding that there aren't too many remedies for Peyrone's other than implant surgery. At the same time, I think it's essential that you identify and treat other potential causes of the ED.

All that said, I can tell you that my 88 year old uncle got his implant some 15 years ago and is still going strong. And his surgery was based totally on a severe case of Peyrone's.

All the best.

Antelope
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

Andy1955

Postby Andy1955 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Starman,
Like you I suffered from ED and a little over a year ago was diagnosed with Peyronies. In my case I had a curvature of 90degrees straight upward at mid shaft. Additionally I had the hourglass issue associated with Peyronies. The disease seemed to appear out of nowhere. When I talked to my Urologist he said there was no cure for this. He suggested I start taking Vitamin E and prescribed Pentoxifylline. Nether did much butmake me feel better. I spent several months trying everything I could find to try on the Internet. Those were wasted months and wasted money in my opinion. I am just a couple years younger than you and also did not want to accept what the Dr told me.

I decided to visit another Dr that specializes in ED and Peyronies. That Dr told me much the same and hurt me by pulling the penis as far as he could stretch it. Spent all of ten minutes with me and was absolutely no help what so ever. I went back to my Dr.

My Dr was not pushy and we had previously discussed implant. This time I was very direct with questions and such. He spent time with me and told me what he recommended. Then he told me to go home and read about the inplant and come back in about a month. I did and this time I had new questions. One of which was how they measured and selected size. In my case with Peyronies some things were different and I wanted to know about the curvature after inplant along with two pages of questions. He answered them all to my satisfaction.

In the OR after inplant the curvature improved from 90 to about 30 degrees. I was told that over the coming months I would continue to straighten. There was no grafting done of the scar tissue associated with Peyronies. I am just over 6 weeks post op so time will tell.

From my experience Peyronies will cause you to loose size. It was horrifying to me. The Dr said I could loose length due to an implant or stay the same. Depended on the individual. My suggestion is to read and learn all you can about how Peyronies will affect you. If you can; talk openly to your wife about it. I had trouble with that. She should be a source of strength for you. You should also read everything you can find about inplants.

Finally; talk to your Dr. Get a second opinion if you like. Make DARN sure your Dr has a lot of experience doing this surgery! Can’t stress that enough. I wish you the best.
Inplanted May 24, 2018. AMS 700 CX, MS Pump. 21cm x 12mm. Peyronies and ED. Pills stopped working and extreme curvature

starman

Postby starman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:04 pm

How do you find out if your doctor has a lot of experience doing the implant? I asked him and he told me he did them all the time...but this is scarey to me and I question everything...this surgery from what I have heard is irreversible...so it is all or nothing
65 yrs. old, diagnosed with peyronies,have small growth about 2 in. from head of penis,dr. recommended penile implant . I am scared I guess. Dr. sent letter 2 weeks ago that he was retiring and that I need another Dr..live outside Tyler Texas 75703

starman

Postby starman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 pm

antelope....I have had the colonospathy, had a complete physical workup, and testosterone check( it was 333 on a scale of 1-1000...doctor says there could be more harm than good with testosterone treatment....urologist recommends vaccum pump for 3 months before agreeing to surgery...am looking for pump on Amazon now...found one for 70 dollars just don't know what to look for... know that cheaper is not always better...

Cajun Jeff

Postby Cajun Jeff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm

I think you would probably want one of the medically approved pumps. Ex Erectaid. Can’t remember the other one. I know you can find them on Amazon. Best of luck in your search for a solution.
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 pm

starman wrote:How do you find out if your doctor has a lot of experience doing the implant? I asked him and he told me he did them all the time...but this is scarey to me and I question everything...this surgery from what I have heard is irreversible...so it is all or nothing

Ask him if any of his prior patients would be willing to interview with you. Testimonials would tell you much. He could contact a few and ask them to contact you - to maintain patient privacy this is the only way to do it.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:42 am

Lost Sheep wrote:
starman wrote:How do you find out if your doctor has a lot of experience doing the implant? I asked him and he told me he did them all the time...but this is scarey to me and I question everything...this surgery from what I have heard is irreversible...so it is all or nothing

Ask him if any of his prior patients would be willing to interview with you. Testimonials would tell you much. He could contact a few and ask them to contact you - to maintain patient privacy this is the only way to do it.

Yes, exactly. I was contacted by Jamie at Boston Scientific and she asked if I would speak to a patient about the implant. I said yes. She gave that guys, doctors nurse my contact info and she gave it to the patient.:)

Larry

vajim1

Postby vajim1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 am

starman, my wife found a good ved for me it is an Encore brand and it was $95.000
and is medical grade and has cock ring device that is nice Jim
76 year old fart. Prostate removed Oct. 9, 2017,Psa 30 days after .15 next Psa .2. 37 Radiation treatments for recurrent cancer, 1 year out Psa .033 ZERO ERECTIONS, implanted Sept 5 2019 Dr. Lentz Duke Raleigh N.C. Titan 22cm.

Return to “Emotional and Mental Support”