Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
merrix

Re: Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

Postby merrix » Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 am

KMeister, you don't seem to get psyched123's point.

He says stay away from professors and teaching hospitals because the risk of having a trainee doing the implant.
And you disagree because you say new technology is developed at teaching hospitals, and because all great surgeons once were in training themselves.
So what? None of that makes any difference to his point.
It doesn't change the fact that there is a risk getting implanted by a trainee at a teaching hospital. If you would say that a trainee is just as good as a senior, you would have at least made a counter argument. Not a good one, but a logical one. But to say all good surgeons once were trainees doesn't say shit. Would you rather be operated by Kramer of today or be his first patient as a trainee ten years ago?
And even if they develop the newest technology there, once it is commercially available it'll be available anywhere. Just that you don't have to be the trial object, neither for the the new technology nor for the trainee.

Then of course, looking at the bigger picture, if nobody have their surgery at these hospitals, no new star surgeons will rise since they never get their training. So your thought may be glorious.
On the other hand, would I give a shit about the future supply and development of implant surgeons if I was a patient? No. I would only make sure I got the best possible two hands to cut my dick up and insert those Bioflex cylinders.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

Metraman

Postby Metraman » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 am

You guys that have had a Titan installed how long did your surgery take? My recovery will be a week tomorrow and now that I've let some pressure out its comfortable.

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Thu May 19, 2016 5:30 pm

My surgery lasted one hour and forty-five minutes. But the result is perfect and I have never had any problems outside of figuring out how to work the darn thing. (I got that down by now, though.)
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

kidder

Postby kidder » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:24 pm

It seems odd to me that most all of the highly rated, high volume drs are only found on either a coast line, or Texas. Anybody know a top level in the midwest?

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:14 pm

kidder wrote:It seems odd to me that most all of the highly rated, high volume drs are only found on either a coast line, or Texas. Anybody know a top level in the midwest?

There's the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20034244

Also, there are two companies that manufacturer the implant: Coloplast and Boston Scientific (formerly American Medical Systems or AMS). You can check out each's website to find out which doctors are in your area.

http://www.coloplastmenshealth.com/find-a-physician/

http://www.amsmenshealth.com/en-US/pati ... ician.html

Be sure to check the box for "Erectile dysfunction."

Now click "Find a Physician," type in your city and state and you should get a list of physicians near your area. (Typing in a zip code did not work as well.) Of course, from there please proceed with extreme caution. Some may or may not take your insurance, some may or may not have a great deal of experience in performing the surgery, etc.

My assumption is that a large state like Ohio probably has several doctors who would do a great job.

KMeister

Casey.Mods

Postby Casey.Mods » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Electrician wrote:Implanted In Gilbert Az by Dr frank simoncini .He's not mentioned as much on the Internet ,But does most the surgeries in this area and I couldn't be happier.

I'm considering the same Dr! How are things a few years down the road? Also what implant did you get?

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 pm

merrix wrote:KMeister, you don't seem to get psyched123's point.

He says stay away from professors and teaching hospitals because the risk of having a trainee doing the implant.
And you disagree because you say new technology is developed at teaching hospitals, and because all great surgeons once were in training themselves.
It doesn't change the fact that there is a risk getting implanted by a trainee at a teaching hospital. If you would say that a trainee is just as good as a senior, you would have at least made a counter argument. Not a good one, but a logical one. But to say all good surgeons once were trainees doesn't say shit. Would you rather be operated by Kramer of today or be his first patient as a trainee ten years ago?
And even if they develop the newest technology there, once it is commercially available it'll be available anywhere. Just that you don't have to be the trial object, neither for the the new technology nor for the trainee.

Then of course, looking at the bigger picture, if nobody have their surgery at these hospitals, no new star surgeons will rise since they never get their training. So your thought may be glorious.
On the other hand, would I give a shit about the future supply and development of implant surgeons if I was a patient? No. I would only make sure I got the best possible two hands to cut my dick up and insert those Bioflex cylinders.

When "trainees" operate, they are under the close supervision of a highly experienced surgeon expert in that particular procedure.

I opine that you are in better hands with a supervised trainee than one recently graduated to be on his/her own.

Dr. Eid once wrote to me, "Find a surgeon in love with his craft." A surgeon committed to the outcome above all else is what you want. A Urological surgeon in training may have more interest in bladder and kidney function than erectile function and be doing your implant just as a matter of the training course content. You want a surgeon like I found. (He is in general urological surgery because he is in the U.S.Air Force, but attests that he would specialize in treating erectile dysfunction as a specialty if he were in private practice. One who is invested in the best possible outcome (and it does not matter if it is pride, concern over your happiness or just padding his resume with testimonials). If he will take extras pains to get it perfect (not just "right" or "good enough")

Talk to your potential surgeon and go with your instincts.

There are a lot of good surgeons out there, not all of them with wide reputations.
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 pm

merrix wrote:KMeister, you don't seem to get psyched123's point.

BUT, Kramer wouldn't just send his student in there by himself, he would be right by his side, assisting, correcting, teaching. I give a HUGE shit because I know that Dr. Brock will retire some day and this implant won't last forever... If I can't have Dr. Brock, at least maybe I can have someone that Dr. Brock molded. Just my 5 cents... :)

Larry

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 pm

I had mine done at USC Keck Medicine in LA. My Dr Boyd said he would do the surgery and I was very confident. A Dr Jeff Loh-Doyle was his assistant and soon taking over the implant specialty at USC. The dick is great now but their healing process is poor. I even asked him about what he did before hand. He pumped me to near 100% and said leave it a lone for 4 weeks. Do I move the pump around? He says no. Now still have pump partially attached to left testicle. Sever pain during healing from pumped near 100%. Called him after 4 days asking for narcotics for the pain. He says its normal and said use Tylenol. At 3 weeks I get a technician to answer my calls. He says go ahead and release it a little. At 4 weeks, when I was supposed to finally deflate it, Dr LeDoyle squeezes the release button and sends me through the roof with pain. Says it looks good.
Boyd is retiring and if his protocol may be used by Dr Loh Doyle and students, I say never go there or to anyone taught by USC in the past 20 years when DR Boyd was the professor Unless you are into needless pain.
Last edited by oldbeek on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

DonDon

Postby DonDon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Remember that this is the best thing I have ever done for my sex life...BUT...
Don't go where I went. 1) Horizontal infra pubic opening cut all nerves on the lower side of my dick, delaying my orgasms considerably. They have since regrown about 90% and my orgasms run over 90%. 2) Ectopic placement of reservoir was faulty. Complained in the hospital I couldn't tell where reservoir was. Found it much later at the back of my scrotum. And my scrotum wasn't that large to begin with. It's pretty crowded down there. Implant partially inflates when I sit on it. Ruined my bicycle riding until I got a seat with nothing between my legs. And I have to sit only half on a chair to avoid compressing the reservoir. 3) Dr. hung the pump off too high. Can't grasp it with two hands and when squeezing with one hand the pump bulb jumps out from between my two fingers. 4) Asked for LGX but got CX. He says he never uses LGX and wouldn't consider it. Lost 2+ inches in this 3 year process and never got it back. Thought the LGX might make up some of it. Glans was floppy due to undersized implant initially. Got 18 cm CX and could have had 21 cm LGX to recover length. Penis has since shrunk down to the 18 cm length over time due to inflation which doesn't challenge its possible length. And glans doesn't flop as much now. With all the mistakes, it is working great and my 4 incher pleases me and my partner. Just avoid my surgeon.
Aug'15: RP NON nerve-sparing on Rt. Pills, vac pump, injections: Injections were best, about 50%. Aug'17: Penile pain and headaches. Implant: AMS CX 18 cm+2 cm. (Undersized! :x ) Asked for LGX! Ochsner Hospital, New Orleans, LA Still working great.

Return to “Implants”