Sample top list for initial visit?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
PC Newbie

Sample top list for initial visit?

Postby PC Newbie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Been reading around here, and am about ready to move forward. I'm presuming the first step is to make an appointment and discuss, and whatever.

I naturally can develop a list of questions, but wonder if there is a representative list I could reference. May add some questions I don't think of.

I'm considering going down to Miami area and talk with Dr. Perito.

I'm not sure if there is any valid way to determine the number of operations and success of any given surgeon. I've read some of the Doctor review sites, and I've seen they are not necessarily accurate with regards to law suits having been placed against doctors.

I've read here and seen what appears to be the top few. I live in Fl, and it seems that Perito has a fairly good rep here.

Getting off topic. I'm wondering about a representative list of questions. Haven't seen much here about the evaluation process.

OttoHS

Re: Sample top list for initial visit?

Postby OttoHS » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:53 pm

The most important thing that I would want to know is how accessible the doctor will be before and after surgery. You want a doctor with whom you can communicate directly and expect timely responses. In other fields of medicine, I have had experience with too many doctors who communicate through secretaries, consider the fax the latest in communications technology and think that a response within a day or two is timely. I had multiple emails to Dr. Kramer both before and after the two surgeries (implant and male sling) that I had with him. He usually responded within an hour, even on weekends, and the one time that he did not respond within an hour, he telephoned me from his vacation later in the day. I see many people post here with questions about their surgery. There is no substitute for having the surgeon who knows your implant and your body respond to questions. I lurked here for a long time and did not feel the need to post after my surgeries because when I had questions Dr. Kramer always was accessible to answer them.
Last edited by OttoHS on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:05 pm

If you're close to Perito, I'd go with him.

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:49 pm

This is a list of 93 Questions it has been around awhile, do not know who developed it. I took the list and narrowed it down to a couple of dozen and emailed my doctor. Somewhere my narrowed list is posted on FT because I want FT IPP's to answer them too. I also posted my answers to the question after I had surgery.

Your already know the answers to some of these , you can eliminate them as I did not want to appear I was asking too many. For instance I knew I was getting an AMS CX so the question about the Titan could be eliminated along with some that seem like it was the same question.

93 Questions To Ask Your Surgeon Before IPP Surgery

1) Is floppy glans an inevitable outcome of the IPP procedure. If yes, how is this addressed and resolved post-op.
2) Which IPP device results in a firmer, less floppy glans.
3) Does the surgeon perform post-op glans rejuvenation if necessary and, if so, what is the protocol.
4) Which of all IPP devices will provide the maximum amount of post-op glans engorgement.
5) What can the surgeon do intraoperatively to minimize risk of post-op reduced glans engorgement.
6) How many Titan OTR’s has the surgeon placed.
7) How many AMS 700’s has the surgeon placed.
8) Which of the two IPP devices does the surgeon prefer to implant and why.
9) What are the pros and cons of each device.
10) Given this patient’s frame and anatomy, which device does the surgeon recommend and why.
11) In this surgeon’s patients, what complications have arisen post-op over the last 2 years.
12) What is the surgeon’s infection ratio.
13) Where does the surgeon place the pump and does the patient have any discretion in indicating where the pump is placed.
14) Is the IPP surgical methodology infrapubic or scrotal.
15) Which method (infrapubic or scrotal) does the surgeon prefer and why.
16) Which method of IPP placement (infrapubic or scrotal) results in less post-op complication.
17) Which method of Ipp placement produces the least amount of risk to patient.
18) Does the patient have any discretion in determining the method of IPP placement.
19) What is the surgeon’s ratio of infrapubic to scrotal placements.
20) Intraoperatively, does the surgeon ever find a requirement for both infrapubic and scrotal incisions and placements.
21) How many IPP devices (and what brands) will the surgeon be provided with in the OR on the day of surgery.
22) Is the IPP device’s length measurement determined and material specified pre-operatively or intra-operatively.
23) Is the device’s girth measurement determined and material specified pre-operatively or intra-operatively.
24) Which of the two IPP devices will provide the maximum girth measurement for this patient’s particular anatomy.
25) Which of the two IPP devices will preserve or provide the most penile length.
26) Which of the two IPP devices will result in potential penile length increase post-op.
27) Which of the two IPP devices usually results in length shortening and why.
28) Which of the two IPP devices is easier to pump.
29) Which of the IPP devices require revision surgery more than the other.
30) What steps should the patient take post-op to provide the quickest recovery.
31) Titan OTR post-op 6-12 months: Will the penis be pendulous or protruding and, if protruding, to what degree. (Pendulous: penis rests in the 5:00 to 6:00 o’clock position.)
32) AMS 700 post-op 6-12 months: Will the penis be pendulous or protruding and, if protruding, to what degree.
33) Which of the two IPP devices likely will result in a larger package.
34) Which of the two IPP devices will result in a more flaccid, floppy appearance.
35) Will the patient be able to wear boxers post-op.
36) Does the procedure in any way affect pendulous testicles (shortening, lengthening).
37) When can the IPP surgical procedure be scheduled.
38) How much time should the patient take off from work post-op.
39) Will the procedure result in an overnight stay at the hospital.
40) Does the patient have the option of deciding whether or not to stay overnight in the hospital.
41) What urological tests are performed post-op before discharge.
42) What urological tests are performed pre-op.
43) What urological tests are performed on day of surgery pre- and post-op.
44) Are these tests required or optional.
45) What medical records, if any, does the surgeon require from current physician(s).
46) Obtain statement of probable fees and insurance benefits.
47) Which method of anesthesia produces the least risk; which method does the surgeon prefer and why.
48) Which method of anesthesia produces a better surgical outcome.
49) What medications are prescribed post-op for pain; does the patient have any discretion in the selection of pain medications.
50) Is the IPP device left inflated immediately after surgery and, if so, to what degree and for how long.
51) Must the IPP device remain inflated during the patient’s travel home, especially if traveling a far distance.
52) Is a catheter placed intraoperatively.
53) Is a catheter placed or removed immediately after surgery.
54) When is the catheter removed.
55) What kind of catheter is placed (inflatable bulb).
56) When is the patient usually able to void without a catheter post-op.
57) Can the IPP device be deflated upon patient’s return to work; if not, how is the inflated penis best concealed.
58) In what position may the penis be worn immediately post-op.
59) In what position may the penis be worn upon return to work post-op.
60) Does the patient need to return to the clinic for removal of sutures post-op or can the sutures be removed by patient or local physician.
61) How soon after surgery is the patient required to be seen on follow up; how often thereafter.
62) Describe the pre-surgical protocol for fitting the IPP both lengthwise and girthwise.
63) Do you have variously sized IPP’s on the OR tray at the time of surgical implant—or do you only have one IPP with RTE’s on the OP tray (optional girth IPP’s)?
64) Is there an AMS or Coloplast company representative in the OR at the time of implant and, if so, what is the purpose for their presence.
65) Are any photographs made of the patient pre-surgery, intra-operatively, and post-op?
66) If photographs are taken, is the patient’s face visible in the photograph?
67) What are the photographs used for.
68) What causes loss of length of penis post-op; how can loss of length be minimized; does pre-op VED therapy improve post-op length of penis.
69) Is there a pre-op VED protocol that results in maximum dilation or length at time of implant.
70) What is the dilation protocol at time of implant
71) What is the purpose of dilation at time of implant.
72) What protocol do patients follow prior to implant to achieve best results?
73) During patient’s evaluation for IPP surgery, do you have specimens of the AMS and Coloplast implants for patient to see and handle.
74) What argument, if any, does the surgeon offer for not undertaking IPP surgery in my case.
75) Who will actually perform the IPP surgery and placement; list all who will be in the OR at time of surgery. Will a physician’s assistant or resident perform any surgical procedure in the OR? Under what circumstances, if any, would the surgeon step aside to allow a physician’s assistant or resident to operate?
76) What would be the most length he felt you could possibly loose from the implant.
77) Discuss post op penis length and eventual girth and length one year post-op.
78) May I see pictures of the surgeon’s previous patients’ post-op results.
79) Length of stay in hospital?
80) What is the post-op recovery time for incision, first pump up, and first intercourse.
81) How many IPP’s has the surgeon placed over the past three years.
82) What is the life expectancy of the IPP.
83) How long, if at all, will the patient need to have his penis pointed up post-op.
84) In what state of inflation are the cylinders left post-op (empty, partial inflation, full inflation) and for how long.
85) What activity restrictions will the patient have post-op, and for how long (e.g. limitations on lifting weights, driving, etc.).
86) If the patient is traveling from a distance, what are the stay requirements (or recommendations) for being near the surgeon.
87) What other travel considerations are there?
88) If the patient is traveling alone, does the patient need, and can the surgeon’s office arrange, a local medical companion.
89) Does the surgeon place the pump in the final scrotal location intraoperatively, or must the patient manipulate the pump post-operatively into a scrotal position most comfortable for the patient.
90) How much real benefit to the LGX is there in terms of post-op length gains.
91) What pre-op tests (e.g. flaccid stretch, injected erection or injected stretch, or VED) can predict post-op length and what realistic expectations should the patient have with regard to these pre-op tests.
92) When does the patient begin to cycle the IPP.
93) Will the surgeon provide you wish a list of IPP patients and their phone numbers for the purpose interviewing patients for their experiences with the surgeon and the post-op results.

Number 93 is something you should get and call them, I did and they were alot of help

Good luck.
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 pm

OttoHS, I agree. Very important.

Roninhoustin, That will never happen with most docs. My wife reminded me last night Milam got mad when I tried to ask questions. Then there was Dr. Bullock in St. Louis, the head of the department of Urology at Washington University School of medicine who on Dec. 7, 2014 told me I was only allowed to ask 1 question. When I started to ask he interrupted me and stated again "only one". That was the visit that ended with me being suicidal. I've had several doctors who told me I was allowed 3 questions. Any more than that I have to make another appointment.

If your doc won't talk to you, fire his sorry ass!
Last edited by alibaba on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:32 pm

I can ask my doctor anything and he responds right away. Find a better doctor
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Ask Perito if he will do scrotal or infrapubic. Last I heard it was infrapubic. I would never have it that way again and I'm not the only one who hates the tubes and the loss of penis length because of it.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

PC Newbie

Postby PC Newbie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

It'll be a few months before I do the surgery, if it happens. So I have time to lurk here and evaluate.

I haven't read anything yet on the scrotal or infrapubic. But what I have read, I was left thinking scrotal would be better. And, I can't afford to lose any more length. Lose any more, and an erection won't do me any good :shock:

If that is all Perito will do (infrapubic), that may be disappointing. I'm in Florida, and really don't want to go several states away to get the surgery.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:49 pm

I understand the travel. We well exhausted docs in our area as loony quacks so had no choice. Tried to save travel expense going to Nashville. BIG mistake. We are traveling further soon and will see what gives, if not we'll wait till there is sufficient $ on hand and go whatever distance it takes to make this thing right. Do the best you can with what you have to work with. Ask to talk to patients of a doc and ask them via phone what they liked and didn't. I've found you get a lot more info and things they do not say on forum posts the phone or a PM. Important things are communication, skill, patient satisfaction the first time, follow-up, and does he address your concerns or just do as he damn well pleases. I know 2 beside me that say they lost about 3/4" from the infrapubic approach alone. That does not cut it unless a teenie weenie is what you are looking for. Best luck to you. Once in a while I've noticed people here on the forum have assisted people with travel. Brought meals to hotel or hauled them to the doctor, even picked them up at the airport. Some doctors and hospitals offer concierge service. I did for my wife. Some are free, we paid I think around $200. Shuttled us wherever we needed to go. That was a big help and she did not have to worry about city navigation.

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Have not commented on this thread since I posted the sixty questions. I did not ask all these questions to my doctor. I did ask him a subset. In fact I posted this list on FT and asked FT users to comment. Later I posted my answers, post op, to the questions.

I would not use a doctor who would not answer all my questions, that was never an issue with Doctor Cornell. Not before the op nor after the op.
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

Return to “Implants”