Vasectomy while getting Implanted

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
TheCanalGuy

Vasectomy while getting Implanted

Postby TheCanalGuy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Hello guys that's my first post and I have spent weeks trying to digest all your valuable reports, suggestions, references, informations.
A lot of extremely valuable data, thanks for your efforts, without you I would still have no idea of what to do for my ED. Now I feel well informed and I have a very clear understanding of most of the things involved in a Penile implant surgery and most importantly I feel ready to become Bionic. Thanks again.

Getting down to business, has anybody simultaneously undergone a Vasectomy AND a Penile Implant surgery?

What's your experience?

I have consulted a prominent Dr. in Houston and he stated he would do it to me. Still I am not sure if that's something common or whether any surgeon would feel comfortable to perform both surgeries together, especially given the extra surgery time required and assuming that, to limit risk of infections, it is advised to go as fast as possible while implanting.

In my case I would like to have a single surgery to perform both procedures together so to avoid the risk and downtime of a second surgery a few months after the first one.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
49yo - ED since I was 35 -Oral therapy stopped working- Trimix/Bimix too strong even at the lowest dosage. Now Bionic thanks to Dr. Clavell since March 9 2022. Titan XL 24 cm, no rear tips, trimmed down to 23.5 cm. Reservoir 110ml.

Txagq8

Re: Vasectomy while getting Implanted

Postby Txagq8 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:53 pm

My surgeons both absolutely refused to consider doing a hernia while I was getting implanted. So I had them done two weeks apart, hernia first.

Their explanation was that even though the risk of infection was low, having more people in the OR would increase that risk and that the remedies for an implant infection (removing it, treating the infection, reinstalling it later) were sufficiently nasty to outweigh any gain from having them done concurrently.

I’m okay with how it all worked out.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

TheCanalGuy

Postby TheCanalGuy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Txagq8 wrote:My surgeons both absolutely refused to consider doing a hernia while I was getting implanted. So I had them done two weeks apart, hernia first.

Their explanation was that even though the risk of infection was low, having more people in the OR would increase that risk and that the remedies for an implant infection (removing it, treating the infection, reinstalling it later) were sufficiently nasty to outweigh any gain from having them done concurrently.

I’m okay with how it all worked out.

While it make sense that two totally unrelated surgeries are performed together with different peoples and surgeons involved, for a Vasectomy and a Penile implant the procedures can be performed from the same Penoscrotal opening and by the same surgeon, IMHO. That's why the perspective could be different in our distinct cases.
49yo - ED since I was 35 -Oral therapy stopped working- Trimix/Bimix too strong even at the lowest dosage. Now Bionic thanks to Dr. Clavell since March 9 2022. Titan XL 24 cm, no rear tips, trimmed down to 23.5 cm. Reservoir 110ml.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 pm

I am just remembering how bad my nuts ached after the vasectomy. Back in those days the vasectomy was done at the doctors office with local anesthetic. He was just a gp. I think I would do the Vas first and let it heal . Damn sure don't want complications to a major surgery like a implant. Also, if trimix injectable is to strong, have you thought of trimix Gell down your urethra?
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

TheCanalGuy

Postby TheCanalGuy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:59 am

oldbeek wrote:I am just remembering how bad my nuts ached after the vasectomy. Back in those days the vasectomy was done at the doctors office with local anesthetic. He was just a gp. I think I would do the Vas first and let it heal . Damn sure don't want complications to a major surgery like a implant. Also, if trimix injectable is to strong, have you thought of trimix Gell down your urethra?

About Trimix and Bimix, my problem is that when it works it is too strong at the point that any dosage even minimal can cause priapism, but without any apparent reason the same dosage or even more à couple of days after could produce an erections barely lasting a couple of minutes. I have checked many times my way of self administering the injection and I have been confirmed that the hit and miss is not because of the way that I perform it. I am now waiting for my PGE-1 alone to validate if I can obtain more consistent and reliable results.

Another point motivating my decision to become Bionic is that I am still relatively young (49) and I don't want to wait for my penis to get atrophied by the lack of proper blood circulation and then be forced to accommodate a much smaller implant also due to the potential scar tissue caused by the Trimix/Bimix or Alprostadil (PGE-1) injections. Furthermore I live outside the US and it is very difficult to find something else than a single formulation of Trimix because of the lack of Compounding pharmacies and as such I always struggle to get a prescription from the US to obtain even a simple US compounded,
Bimix let alone PGE-1.

ViaSwiss

Postby ViaSwiss » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Some will and some won't. The operation is a bit longer when you do both, so by theory that increases odds of infection. That is the only reason some won't do it. Clavell is probably who you are talking about and he will do it. He told me he could even do a reversal with implant in while my first uro told me he couldnt.
Age 35. Venous Leakage & Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) since age 18.
Original Implant | June 25, 2021 | 20cm Titan w 1.5cm & 1cm RTEs
Revision | November 16, 2021 | 26cm | Dr. Hakky

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:58 pm

I asked this question four years ago before my implant and got a lot of advice not to do it (mostly for the reasons oldbeek cited-complications during recover). If the vasectomy caused pain or swelling, it might confuse diagnosis of the cause. Was it the vasectomy or the implant that was causing the pain and swelling.

I asked my surgeon if he could do a vasesctomy at the same time as the implant. (I was 69, but wanted to be "safe" against impregnating a woman if I should ever have sex with a woman young enough to be fertile.)

He replied, "I don't see why not." I will do it after the implant if nothing indicates otherwise.

For oldbeek, I will note that a vasectomy by itself is usually done through a small incision through which the surgeon cannot see very well. During an implant, I will guess that the scrotum is open wider and the vasectomy a LOT simpler and quicker.

Edited to add: I knew my provider/payer (Veteran's Administration) would not likely pay for a vasectomy if done as a separate operation. So, if I was going to be safe from impregnating my (highly unlikely to find, but miracles happen, you know) younger partner having it done at the same time was the best option.
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

rjdoan

Postby rjdoan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 am

TheCanalGuy wrote:
Getting down to business, has anybody simultaneously undergone a Vasectomy AND a Penile Implant surgery?

What's your experience?

Although I did not have a vasectomy at the same time as my penile implant surgery, I had one testicle removed and a cyst taken off the other--so I had three procedures total. I was in surgery a bit longer and I had more bruising than most guys, but I think I progressed through recovery at least as fast if not faster than most. I was at work 10 days after surgery--taking it very carefully, cycling my implant at four weeks and fully cleared for sex by six weeks. I guess if your doctor believes it can be done--then he probably can do it. I didn't want another surgery and wanted to get everything done at once. I'd do it again, if I needed to.
Bob Doan
65 yo, Prostate Cancer - radiation therapy 2018, ED 20 years used pills, MUSE, trimix. Weekly testosterone injections for TRT. AMS 700 CX implanted Feb 12, 2021, 18/1, by Dr Herati, Johns Hopkins

Return to “Implants”