Kramer can't work with my insurance. Should I wait for Kramer or "settle" for Karpman?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
WindWizard

Kramer can't work with my insurance. Should I wait for Kramer or "settle" for Karpman?

Postby WindWizard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Disappointing news. Kramer's secretary finally got back to me, (I've been trying to schedule an implant surgery with him since March) and unfortunately it looks like the new location of the surgery center he has moved to is not considered a valid surgery center by my insurance. (Tricare) This isn't news to me, I was previously told back in mid July that Kramer would have to do my surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center, which I was fine with, but it looks like now, over a month later I've finally gotten word that he is no longer performing any surgeries there, so as far as the near future is concerned, I've missed my chance.

His secretary assures me that he's in the process of having his new surgery center reviewed and credentialed, which would allow him to work with insurance such as Tricare, but that that process will probably take several months at least.

This is all really frustrating to me. I've been pushing for a penile implant since last year after I returned from Greece with no positive effects from Shock Wave treatment, and once I finally got my father on board (Which took forever), I find out that my top pick doctor, Eid, doesn't even work with my insurance! Now I've been in the process of scheduling with my second choice for months, only to be told that I'll have to wait a few more months at LEAST.
Now, you might say, what's the big deal, it's only a few more months? Well, for starters, due to my work situation, If I want the surgery done this year it has to be done before October 29th. If I can't get it done by then, it's going to have to wait until at least March 2020.

I'm now debating whether I should just try and pursue my third choice, Dr. Karpman, and try and get the surgery done this year, or wait who knows how long for Kramer.
I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Karpman, and he is an in network provider with my insurance, but he certainly isn't quite the superstar that Kramer is, and beyond that he only implants AMS, and uses the infrapubic approach, both things which I'm not particularly keen on.

I just have no idea how to make this decision. I only have one dick and I want to chose the best possible surgeon. If I had the money I'd honestly pay out of pocket and go with Eid, but I don't, and I can't fault my father for only being open to a doctor covered by insurance.

So I guess the question is... is doctor Karpman good enough? Should I feel confident and comfortable in his level of expertise and good reputation, or should I hold out and wait for one of the best surgeons in the world? I really just want this nightmare of Ed to be over, and in some ways I think scheduling with Karpman ASAP would be the logical choice, but on the other hand, if I really want it done right, shouldn't I be able to wait six months or so to have it done by Kramer?
20 years old. Severe ED for the past 5 years due to scar tissue.
Tried shockwave therapy in Greece, and PRP shot from Dr. Goldstein in San Diego. Both with no results.
Implanted with a AMS LGX 18cm + 2 RTEs, performed by Dr. Edward Karpman - 10/8/2019

Lost Sheep

Re: Kramer can't work with my insurance. Should I wait for Kramer or "settle" for Karpman?

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Dr Eid advises me to “Find a surgeon in love with his craft”. Such a surgeon will put his patients’ welfare above all other considerations and will make every effort to achieve a better optimal outcome.

My surgeon advised me that "You will be overflying a lot of good surgeons" if I went to the East Coast.

Dr. Karpman has a good reputation. Dr. Kramer has a good reputation (but better public relations). Both have a lot of experience.

I think your choice is clear.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Re: Kramer can't work with my insurance. Should I wait for Kramer or "settle" for Karpman?

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 pm

WindWizard wrote:Disappointing news. Kramer's secretary finally got back to me, (I've been trying to schedule an implant surgery with him since March) and unfortunately it looks like the new location of the surgery center he has moved to is not considered a valid surgery center by my insurance. (Tricare) This isn't news to me, I was previously told back in mid July that Kramer would have to do my surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center, which I was fine with, but it looks like now, over a month later I've finally gotten word that he is no longer performing any surgeries there, so as far as the near future is concerned, I've missed my chance.

His secretary assures me that he's in the process of having his new surgery center reviewed and credentialed, which would allow him to work with insurance such as Tricare, but that that process will probably take several months at least.

This is all really frustrating to me. I've been pushing for a penile implant since last year after I returned from Greece with no positive effects from Shock Wave treatment, and once I finally got my father on board (Which took forever), I find out that my top pick doctor, Eid, doesn't even work with my insurance! Now I've been in the process of scheduling with my second choice for months, only to be told that I'll have to wait a few more months at LEAST.
Now, you might say, what's the big deal, it's only a few more months? Well, for starters, due to my work situation, If I want the surgery done this year it has to be done before October 29th. If I can't get it done by then, it's going to have to wait until at least March 2020.

I'm now debating whether I should just try and pursue my third choice, Dr. Karpman, and try and get the surgery done this year, or wait who knows how long for Kramer.
I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Karpman, and he is an in network provider with my insurance, but he certainly isn't quite the superstar that Kramer is, and beyond that he only implants AMS, and uses the infrapubic approach, both things which I'm not particularly keen on.

I just have no idea how to make this decision. I only have one dick and I want to chose the best possible surgeon. If I had the money I'd honestly pay out of pocket and go with Eid, but I don't, and I can't fault my father for only being open to a doctor covered by insurance.

So I guess the question is... is doctor Karpman good enough? Should I feel confident and comfortable in his level of expertise and good reputation, or should I hold out and wait for one of the best surgeons in the world? I really just want this nightmare of Ed to be over, and in some ways I think scheduling with Karpman ASAP would be the logical choice, but on the other hand, if I really want it done right, shouldn't I be able to wait six months or so to have it done by Kramer?

Dr. Karpman told me personally that he would gladly implant either brand. I think the AMS only story is bs. Just be sure that your anatomy is suitable for the implant that you pick. Not the one that you think will give you a larger dick.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

steveb1

Postby steveb1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 am

I don't post much on this site although I've been on here since 2013. I received my implant last Nov. and couldn't be happier. After much research I chose Dr. Karpman for my surgery. In my opinion he's one of the best surgeon's in the country.
Age 70, married 50 yrs. Implant on Oct. 29, 2018 by Dr. Karpman, No known Physical problems except ED for 20 yrs. On Frank Talk since 2013.

WindWizard

Postby WindWizard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 am

Gt1956 wrote:Dr. Karpman told me personally that he would gladly implant either brand. I think the AMS only story is bs. Just be sure that your anatomy is suitable for the implant that you pick. Not the one that you think will give you a larger dick.

That is very good to hear. I am hoping he will also tell me he implants both models when I speak to him. (Hopefully soon) I wonder why this story has spread? Personally I have no idea what implant would be better for my anatomy, some doctors really prefer one brand, Goldstein really likes the Coloplast Titan for instance, and the story goes that Karpman really prefers the AMS. Other people, like Kramer, seem to argue that it doesn't really matter that much. At any rate, I'll probably leave it in the doctors hands and just be grateful with whatever I wake up with.
Tried shockwave therapy in Greece, and PRP shot from Dr. Goldstein in San Diego. Both with no results.
Implanted with a AMS LGX 18cm + 2 RTEs, performed by Dr. Edward Karpman - 10/8/2019

WindWizard

Postby WindWizard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 am

steveb1 wrote:I don't post much on this site although I've been on here since 2013. I received my implant last Nov. and couldn't be happier. After much research I chose Dr. Karpman for my surgery. In my opinion he's one of the best surgeon's in the country.

It's very good to hear from you, thanks for responding! I'm very happy that you are pleased with your implant! Just out of curiosity, Did Karpman give you a Coloplast or an AMS implant? Did you loose any length or girth, or did you keep it all?

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 am

WindWizard wrote:leave it in the doctors hands and just be grateful with whatever I wake up with.

Good idea. I trust my urologist to make the best decision for me since he is knowledgeable and has made great decisions for me in the past.

ViaSwiss

Postby ViaSwiss » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 am

From everything I've read, Karpman should be considered in the top tier with Eid and Kramer.

He does both AMS and Titan, but prefers AMS due to their more natural look. He admits that Titan gets more rigid, but its beyond the rigidity needed for humans.

I am finishing up scheduling today and will likely be flying out there for Karpman in a month or 2. I am paying out of pocket unfortunately as my insurance will not cover anyone because I dont have gender dysmorphia.
Age 35. Venous Leakage & Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) since age 18.
Original Implant | June 25, 2021 | 20cm Titan w 1.5cm & 1cm RTEs
Revision | November 16, 2021 | 26cm | Dr. Hakky

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm

ViaSwiss wrote: I am paying out of pocket unfortunately as my insurance will not cover anyone because I dont have gender dysmorphia.

That sounds like grounds for an appeal of your insurance company's denial of coverage. E.D. treatment is for restoration of a bodily function. If you had arthritis that limited hand function, would they cover surgery to correct that? Knee prosthetics are just as essential to walking as penile prosthetis are to sex, both bodily functions essential to quality of life.

Good luck. Try pressing your insurance company. The Doctor's administrative staff would probably be able to help, as they deal with bureaucracies like this all the time and have an incentive to help you.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:43 pm

I believe Karpman is just as good. No “settling” here.

Return to “Implants”