A few question regarding surgery (Dr. Kramer)

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
justanotherdrumber

Re: A few question regarding surgery (Dr. Kramer)

Postby justanotherdrumber » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Dogface wrote:Implant surgery scheduled with Dr. Kramer 4/17/19 at 5.30 am.
Does he use stitches? If so, do they de-solve or require removal. Generally how long before removal if any?
Hopefully he puts catheter in while your knocked out.
Don't trust the wife removing catheter. Afraid she'll pull that sucker like a lawn mower cord. Will Dr. Kramer's office offer this service following day after surgery?
Does Dr. Kramer use a drain tube?

I need to change my name to Nervous Nelly. However I'm hell bent on having this procedure. It's been 8 long years.

Thanks all, looking forward to becoming a bionic brother.

There is a ton of information 0N Dr. Kramers website that address the majority of your questions. There are also tons of his actual implant surgeries (in full color )on you tube to utilize as a reference.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:43 pm

As said the stiches dissolve over time and as they do you have what Kramer calls whiskers. Mine to a bit over 6 weeks and the whiskers were a bit annoying but not really painful. I went alone and stayed over night. The next morning Dr. Kramer's very attractive resident removed the cath and it was not bad at all. You can ask about having a professional come and remove it. No drain tube for me. When I was in my room waiting to go to surgery a guy injected a large syringe into my IV line and started to wheel me out of the room. Next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. I don't remember where the operating room was or what it looked like. Don't remember being shaved or cath being put in. Just went in got in a gown and had the IV line started and had all the usual blood pressure and stuff. When I woke up I was being wheeled into a spot in the recovery room and Dr. Kramer was the first face I saw. He had my AMS package in his hand and after watching the nurse check me out and make sure I was ok he gave me my package and told me everything went well.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Dogface

Postby Dogface » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:28 am

[quote]
How was your pain level following surgery (newbie443)? Did you drive home? Is your implant functional?
RP surgery for PCa March 2011, rising PSA 2013, remission since 2014. Chronic ED since 2011 tried pills, VED, and injections. Implanted LGX 4/17/19 Dr. Kramer. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8. That's due to a slight curve.

Bigred

Postby Bigred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Desolving stitches. Pain wasn’t bad at all. I didn’t drive. Cath was removed by hospital staff. Ouch! Visit from Kramer at the hotel the following day. Flew home the following day. Very pleasant expierence.
66 YO, Implant 6/7/2017 at University of Maryland by Dr. Andrew Kramer, High Volume Implant And world class surgeon. AMS 700. Great expierence with zero complications.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 am

Dogface wrote:
How was your pain level following surgery (newbie443)? Did you drive home? Is your implant functional?

I had very little pain afterwards. They have a shuttle service at the hospital that was free and took my home the next morning. I ask for Tylenol before I left the hospital and I had pain meds I did not use until the flight home. I used other over the counter meds for my recovery and never used the prescription meds after the flight home.

I had problems that I tried to get addressed before I left but they happened after he visited my room on Friday. He believed it was something else and refused to see me again before I left. When I activated I had a problem with the pump. Again there was on his part the opinion that the problem was not serious and just told me to continue to pump (albeit very difficult with just the left cylinder inflating until pumps were forced after the left cylinder was at max and only after several tries). He did give me the ok to see my local uro who was no help and saw this first hand. I did after weeks of this contact the AMS rep and was given a fix that did get both cylinders to sorta inflate together. The right one now inflates slightly quicker than the left and it is still very difficult to inflate and there is a problem with the tip end of the left cylinder. It is functional but there is a bit of pain during sex especially if my girlfriends get over excited. I does function and my girlfriends have climaxed during sex but I have only been able to do so on my own. It works for my girlfriends which is more than it did for the over 10 years before the surgery. Right now I'm just trying to see how long I can get it to last before having it fixed.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

66 years young.

Dogface

Postby Dogface » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 am

Hi Newbie,
Appreciate feedback on pain. It's been almost a year and you're still not functioning properly. Sounds like there may be a kink in one of the tubes not allowing a full exchange of fluid. However, I have no idea about these things. I think Dr. Kramer should take a look at inflation/deflation. Had a friend who thought his tube got disconnected from pump. Couldn't get the thing to inflate at all after two years. He went back to his local surgeon and the guy pumped like hell and everything was back to normal. My friend said it hurt and probably is why he was unable to inflate to maximum. Best of luck Newbie we are about the same age and I'm praying this experience will be worth it. My family has a short life expectancy and i would really like to enjoy the next five years or so. (We usually die around 70)

I tried watching a few of these surgeries. Too graphic.
RP surgery for PCa March 2011, rising PSA 2013, remission since 2014. Chronic ED since 2011 tried pills, VED, and injections. Implanted LGX 4/17/19 Dr. Kramer. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8. That's due to a slight curve.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 am

Even the best have reoperation rates. Pumps are not 100% and things happen. I did avoid infection and still think I made the right choice. I was just one of the very few that has problems. Soon as I am able I will look into this more. The thing is I have no one close to see about this. So it will take travel and time from work getting in to see someone about this. And 100% out of pocket costs. So for now not the perfect results I was looking but it is ok and much better than the nothing I had before.

66 years young.

Return to “Implants”