Re: The Implant Journey Begins...Day by Day Journal

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
GruffHunter

Postby GruffHunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Day 1 - January 7, 2019

6:30 am – We arrive at the hospital. Surgical reception lady was friendly, upbeat, and took me right away for some basic paperwork. I’m feeling a strange mix of excitement that the day has arrived, a little fear (at 59, I’ve never had an operation before…I still have my tonsils, appendix, wisdom teeth, etc.), and bleary-eyedness; we had to get up at 5 am to get there on time, and I haven’t started a day in the last 30 years of my life without a cup of coffee and lighting up my pipe. My whole system is in unfamiliar territory! We march down the hall, and wait to be called in.

7:30 am, and I’m being prepped. I’m in a 1930s hospital housefrau robe. I have one IV in my left hand, and one in my right, each an antibiotic (my Doc, Dr Gross, is really serious about preventing infection. I’ve been washing my junk with a special soap for the last week, and took an antibiotic pill last night.) Someone else is drawing blood for a CBC. They’re taking my temperature, oxygen levels, and blood pressure. Blood pressure is borderline low, which is weird, because I take high blood pressure meds and I’m always high. Maybe the lack of coffee and nicotine.

The Anesthesiologist stops in to chat. His assistant stops in to chat. The assisting nurse stops in to chat, and verifies my last name - except I lie, and get some enjoyment watching her face.... Another nurse stops in to chat. The Surgeon (Gross) stops in to chat.

At exactly 9:30 am, they put some ‘minor’ anesthesia into one of the IV drips, and Doc asks me if I’m ready. I respond, “Let’s do it!” – and I don’t remember a damned thing from that second on.

1:00 pm or thereabouts, Recovery room...I was apparently singing showtune songs for some time, and talking about 401k investment strategies with a nurse monitoring me, but I remember NONE of it! Not even vaguely! (My husband tells me I sang well…and apparently the entire operating team was coming back to check on me. They needed to give me some oxygen, as oxygen level was low – 95% - as was my blood pressure.)

2:00 pm –They’ve moved me from recovery to my room (Dr Gross insists on keeping implant patients overnight.) I get a glimpse of my body: My package is wrapped in a package of gauze, so I can’t really see it. I have a huge catheter that runs from my bladder to a bag at the side of the bed. It feels really weird – I can tell I’m dripping urine, but there’s no bladder pressure. I have another tube running from my dick to a little plastic bag to drain blood. More IVs, pills, and a neighborhood of nurses introducing themselves. I’m pretty upbeat. Doc comes in and let’s me know all went very well, and reviews what will happen in the morning. I order dinner, and flirt with the very embarrassed young man who brings it to me and naively asks, “Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?” It becomes a running joke between us until I leave.

I’m tired and try to sleep, but I have to stay on my back, and I don’t like to sleep on my back, so it’s not a good night’s sleep. Plus, every three hours they come in for the blood pressure-temperature-oxygen rate routine checks….Nurse informs me that Doc Gross will be checking on me at 7 am, so I ask her to wake me at 6 am so I can eat and be coherent.

Day 1.PNG
Day 1.PNG (438.03 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

DAY 2

Nurse wakes me at 6 am by bringing me a pot of coffee from the nursing station. I think I’m in love. Breakfast arrives, and a new team of nurses comes in to introduce themselves, including a student nurse from Morocco (we have a great conversation.)

Doc arrives as promised at 7 am, and proceeds to unwrap my package. I get to see the work for the first time. I was expecting black and blue and a mess – but damn, it looked good. Dr. Gross believes in inflating the Titan to about 60% full for the first two weeks, so I have a raging hard on. I’m wearing a jockstrap to keep it perfectly upright, and I’ll have to wear this for the next two weeks, at which point he will deflate it and we’ll go over operating it together.

More antibiotics (of course), some pain killers, a stool softener (I haven’t gone yet), and Doc tells me I can leave *after* I have walked around a bit, and have taken my first piss, but to take my time.

At about 9 am, the nurse comes in with a student intern to remove my urethral catheter. Before she does so, a male nurse comes in with two younger students as well. Smart-ass that I am, I say, “Sure, I’m gonna whip out my dick, and everyone comes in for the party!” Turns out the last three had just come in to look at the wall chart system, but everyone laughed and I asked aloud if the #MeToo movement was gonna go after me now. Fortunately, *everyone* is good-natured about it.

Nurse pulls out my catheter – TOTALLY WEIRD feeling. Then my blood drain is removed by the Doc – no problem there. And I have to pee. They give me a plastic bottle and away we go! Pissed about 450 units (not sure what they were – milliliters?), and then they decide to do a bladder ultrasound to see how much remained in my bladder; 75 units. Not bad, they say. Doc says I’m free to go home.

So, now I’m home, typing up this account. Making a TON of errors as I type, probably partly due to the fact that I’m on Oxycodone for pain.

General comments on my condition 24 hours later:

Staying upbeat and jovial in the hospital was a big help mentally.

Pissing burns like hell…like pissing glass shards...through a hard-on.

I admit it, my groin hurts. Like a 7 on a 1-10 scale, even with the Oxycodone.

I still get a little dizzy standing up.

My dick feels completely numb, and my balls hurt every time we hit a pothole or small bump on the way home.

It’s hard to find a comfortable way to sit, although I seem to be doing best sitting “Indian style” in a big comfy chair, but leaning back so that all the weight is on the upper part of my ass.

And overall, completely satisfied with the experience, grateful to the fantastic team who took care of me, eternal grateful to my husband who thought “two steps ahead” every step the way, and looking forward to the healing process.
Attachments
Day 2.PNG
Day 2.PNG (472.26 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
Last edited by GruffHunter on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gruff Hunter, 59, Titan (24 cm + 1 inch extenders) implanted by Dr Gross, 07 Jan 2017. Gay/open marriage, Chester, VT, USA

David_R

Re: The Implant Journey Begins...Days 1 and 2!

Postby David_R » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Looks great, brother!

Happy Toy

Postby Happy Toy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am

Looking good! Your partner should be very happy with that.
Implanted 6/26/2018, Coloplast Titan 20cm, no RTE'S, infra pubic, Dr. Rhee, Kaiser :o 8-) 79yrs., married 56 yrs. ED for over 20 yrs.

David_Webb

Postby David_Webb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Congratulations brother! Read your journal and was exactly how I remember mine with Gross. Great team at the hospital and really made the whole process seem less stressful than I expected.

Follow the orders and get plenty of rest. Day 3-6 were the worst for me with he pain, swelling and discoloring of the sack and shaft. Just be prepared and follow the icing routine. Stay ahead of the pain with the meds but make sure to ration them to last as well.
New Hampshire, 42, Diagnosed with ED early 20’s. VL Left side, Implanted 7-9-18, Dr. Gross, Titan OTR, 22cm +1 RTE, Penoscrotal.

GruffHunter

Postby GruffHunter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

David_Webb wrote:Congratulations brother! Read your journal and was exactly how I remember mine with Gross. Great team at the hospital and really made the whole process seem less stressful than I expected.

Follow the orders and get plenty of rest. Day 3-6 were the worst for me with he pain, swelling and discoloring of the sack and shaft. Just be prepared and follow the icing routine. Stay ahead of the pain with the meds but make sure to ration them to last as well.

Thanks! Day 3 now, and new post coming...a helluva lot of pain. Interestingly, i was NOT told to ice...
Gruff Hunter, 59, Titan (24 cm + 1 inch extenders) implanted by Dr Gross, 07 Jan 2017. Gay/open marriage, Chester, VT, USA

GruffHunter

Re: The Implant Journey Begins...Day 3

Postby GruffHunter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Day 3...

Today has been a combination of a lot of pain, and small breakthroughs.

Pain is bad, I have to admit it. In addition to being on day 3 of a rock hard erection (which is not fun), I have a ton of 'deep' pain. I know that the Doc had remarked that I was quite unusual, in that some 2/3 of my corpus cavernosa were inside my body, rather than being evenly divided between the inside and the penis, so my tubes go 'deeper' into my body than most. In any event,I'm finding it harder and harder to find a comfortable position to sit, lie, or stand. My pain meds can be taken every 4 hours, but i'm stretching them to every 6 hours to make sure they last. Recovery is definitely going to take longer than I had hoped...I had some work scheduled for next week, and I can tell I'm going to be cancelling that.

I have to admit, this morning was my first big "WTF did I do?" moment...but I know this will fade as I heal and begin to use my new tool...

Two bright spots: pissing and crapping.

Pissing has been a triple challenge: first, I'm rock hard; second, my urethra is swollen from the catheter, preventing a single stream; and third, my bladder is small and I pee ALOT. That meant frequent trips to the bathroom, only to have a low-speed fountain-type event spraying the whole damned room. I decided quickly that that would NOT do, so I started pissing in the yard. But then I had to go at 4 this morning, and it was 8 degrees out and snowing, and that was not gonna happen. Then I had a spark of genius: I grabbed a quart mason jar and stood at the toilet, dick at full mast. I placed the jar over my guy, and tipped it slightly towards me. Voilá! The piss sprayed in the interior of the jar, and then ran down one side right into the bowl. Small Victories. Yeah!

Then, this afternoon, came breakthrough #2....I took a shit! This was my first bowel movement since before the operation, and I was nervous as to what to expect. Much to my surprise, the 'pushing' didnt hurt at all, and the Event was a Success.

Here's hoping that the pain subside soon....
Last edited by GruffHunter on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:15 pm

GruffHunter wrote:Day 3...

Today has been a combination of a lot of pain, and small breakthroughs.

Pain is bad, I have to admit it. In addition to being on day 3 of a rock hard erection (which is not fun), I have a of 'deep' pain. I know that the Doc had remarked that I was quite unusual, in that some 2/3 of my corpus cavernosa were inside my body, rather than being evenly divided between the inside and the penis, so my tubes go 'deeper' into my body than most. In any event,I'm finding it harder and harder to find a comfortable position to sit, lie, or stand. My pain meds can be taken every 4 hours, but i'm stretching them to every 6 hours to make sure they last. Recovery is definitely going to take longer than I had hoped...I had some work scheduled for next week, and I can tell I'm going to e cancelling that.

I have to admit, this morning was my first big "WTF did I do?" moment...but I know this will fade as I heal and begin to use my new tool...

Two bright spots: pissing and crapping.

Pissing has been a triple challenge: first, I'm rock hard; second, my urethra is swollen from the catheter, preventing a single stream; and third, my bladder is small and I pee ALOT. That meant frequent trips to the bathroom, only to have a low-speed fountain-type event spraying the whole damned room. I decided quickly that that would NOT do, so I started pissing in the yard. But then I had to go at 4 this morning, and it was 8 degrees out and snowing, and that was not gonna happen. Then I had a spark of genius: I grabbed a quart mason jar and stood at the toilet, dick at full mast. I placed the jar over my guy, and tipped it slightly towards me. Voilá! The piss sprayed in the interior of the jar, and then ran down one side right into the bowl. Small Victories. Yeah!

Then, this afternoon, came breakthrough #2....I took a shit! This was my first bowel movement since before the operation, and I was nervous as to what to expect. Much to my surprise, the 'pushing' didnt hurt at all, and the Event was a Success.

Here's hoping that the pain subside soon....

I took the plastic hospital urinal home with me. Used if for quite a while. Urinating while showering is also an option once you are cleared to shower. But too many showers a day tends to dry out your skin. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

GruffHunter

Re: The Implant Journey ..Day 4

Postby GruffHunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Well, a minor concern last night...my body temp is normally 97.7, and i started shaking and getting chills...took my temp, and it was up to 99.9. Wrapped myself up and tried to get some shut eye.

Clearly, we have turned a corner. Made it through the night without needing to take any pain meds. In fact, I must have slept better that previous nights, because i actually had dreams. Woke up at about 9 am, was up for an hour, and tired again, so I just went back to bed...and slept some more. Got up around 1 pm, and actually felt good. Pain is still intense, but more localized in my dick and balls, and I'm able to sit up (with strategic pillow support) in relative comfort.

GruffHunter

Postby GruffHunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Day 5.

Pain still seems about the same...more localized in my balls, but it hurts with a burning sensation when touched. I'm hoping my pain killers last through the worst period.

I have to say that I feel ...well...very alone. I don't have much patience, and I've never had an operation before, so the extent of recovery time has taken me by surprise. I read of other guys and they're 'cycling;' not something I'll be doing any time soon as my doc chose to give me a two-week hard on that wont be deflated until he sees me a full two weeks out from the operation date. Other guys have suggested icing for the pain, but I was given no such post-op instructions. I'm on my back or in a semi-reclined position in a chair 24 hours a day in the middle of the woods, and feeling a little abandoned and like I'm putting my poor husband through caretaker hell... I really want to speed things up, but I dont have much control over that...
Last edited by GruffHunter on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Elevated general temperature may be just your body's reaction to the trauma of the operation or perhaps the medications you are taking.

If the temperature of your scrotum, reservoir location or penis becomes elevated or swelling starts increasing instead of decreasing, do not hesitate to call your doctor! RIGHT AWAY! Some infections can develop extremely fast.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”