Implant sizing

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
star_of_pramen

Implant sizing

Postby star_of_pramen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:15 am

I am trying to figure out how a surgeon can accurately size your implant to prevent floopy head etc. From my understanding, when your surgeon decides which implant size to use, they have conducted either a stretch test or an injection test to see the what size can be accomodated.

However, in the scenario where they perform the stretch test, what happens if your stretch penis is significantly smaller than your fully erect penis? I assume this is the case for most people, for example my erect penis is 6.5" but my stretch is 5-5.5". Does this mean my surgeon will fit me with an implant that is 5" and I will lose 1.5 inches?

I am being implanted 31st May and am curious....
30 yo based in UK. ED for 9Y & complex med history. Tried pills, injections, dorsal vein ligation before implanted with 20cm Titan on 31-May-18. First implant had floppy glans + bad tubing. On 28-Aug-20 underwent a revision to 20cm Titan + 4cm RTEs

Greg1956

Re: Implant sizing

Postby Greg1956 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 am

THe stretch test is to give you the only type of estimate your doctor can give you prior to surgery. Until the incision is made and internal measurements are taken, there is no way of knowing. In my case my stretch test was 4.5” and my erect size with the implant, prior to any cycling growth, is 6”. I am not sure that much change is normal. I had plaque from Peyronies removed and I believe that made my penis more flexible. Also, my original erect size was 6.5” before I lost size from ED, age, and Prostatectomy so it may have had something to do with my lifelong size.

If you are more concerned about losing size than going function, maybe you are not ready for an implant. I went in figuring a well-functioning shooter dick was better than a longer limp noodle.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

star_of_pramen

Postby star_of_pramen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned with losing some size, as I have pointed out already I have had ED for ~9 years and I am only 27 y/o, so what is of most importance to me is having a FUNCTIONING penis. The focus of the question is so I can get a better understanding of the testing procedures used and how accurate the estimates provided pre-surgery are
30 yo based in UK. ED for 9Y & complex med history. Tried pills, injections, dorsal vein ligation before implanted with 20cm Titan on 31-May-18. First implant had floppy glans + bad tubing. On 28-Aug-20 underwent a revision to 20cm Titan + 4cm RTEs

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

There was a paper on measuring that I saw some time ago. Basically it said the std. taught measurement during surgery did tend to be 2-3 cm shorter than maximum. There are videos on line to watch this surgery. I believe on YOUTUBE. You will see in the video how the surgeon inserts a measuring rod inside to measure back into the pubic area and forward up into the glands. That gives the total space to be filled with the implant and RTE. Some surgeons at least say that they are more aggressive with stretching when taking the measurement during surgery. So not until we are cut open and the rods are inserted and what stretching is done by the surgeon will we know what size we will get. The other stuff is just guess.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

oldroller

Postby oldroller » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm

How do you think your implanted size compares to your injected hard on?For those who have done both procedures..
70 years old,married 50 years.gave up on pills & recently started injections.

star_of_pramen

Postby star_of_pramen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:10 pm

newbie443 wrote:There was a paper on measuring that I saw some time ago. Basically it said the std. taught measurement during surgery did tend to be 2-3 cm shorter than maximum. There are videos on line to watch this surgery. I believe on YOUTUBE. You will see in the video how the surgeon inserts a measuring rod inside to measure back into the pubic area and forward up into the glands. That gives the total space to be filled with the implant and RTE. Some surgeons at least say that they are more aggressive with stretching when taking the measurement during surgery. So not until we are cut open and the rods are inserted and what stretching is done by the surgeon will we know what size we will get. The other stuff is just guess.

Thanks newbie443 and good luck with your surgery on the 21st

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I think the article about 2cm under measuring is the one by D.K. Montague and K. W. Angermeier. Do a search on those manes to find a link I posted a year ago. The article also explains howcthe INTERNAL MEASUREMENT is made distally and proximally. THE INTERNAL MEASUREMENT IS THE ONLY ONE FOR THE SURGEON TO USE. If your surgeon sizes based on anything else, find another. The external measures are only estimates. Good for sugesting your ultimate external size after imolant, but NOT GOOD FOR SELECTNG THE IMPLANT SIZE.

Another estimate is that 1/3 of the implant is inside you, reaching to the bottom of the pelvic crus ans 2/3 in your penis externally. Of course, your pubic fat pad just above your penis will cover some of that length as well.
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

star_of_pramen

Postby star_of_pramen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:I think the article about 2cm under measuring is the one by D.K. Montague and K. W. Angermeier. Do a search on those manes to find a link I posted a year ago. The article also explains howcthe INTERNAL MEASUREMENT is made distally and proximally. THE INTERNAL MEASUREMENT IS THE ONLY ONE FOR THE SURGEON TO USE. If your surgeon sizes baased on anything else, find another. The external measures are only estimates. Good for sugesting your ultimate external size after imolany, but NOT GOOD FOR SELECTNG THE IMPLANT SIZE.

Thanks Lost Sheep, I will check them out

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Greg1956 wrote:THe stretch test is to give you the only type of estimate your doctor can give you prior to surgery. Until the incision is made and internal measurements are taken, there is no way of knowing. In my case my stretch test was 4.5” and my erect size with the implant, prior to any cycling growth, is 6”. I am not sure that much change is normal. I had plaque from Peyronies removed and I believe that made my penis more flexible. Also, my original erect size was 6.5” before I lost size from ED, age, and Prostatectomy so it may have had something to do with my lifelong size.

If you are more concerned about losing size than going function, maybe you are not ready for an implant. I went in figuring a well-functioning shooter dick was better than a longer limp noodle.

Greg

Exactly Greg. People gotta keep their eyes on the ball. The only measurement that matters (and is used) is the internal size measured, as you say, during surgery... any other sizes discussed is just for an estimate. :)

Larry

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Just want to chime in with another perspective. In the couple of years I have been around FT, the amount of young people coming here to get advise has grown exponentially. With that in mind, since they are taking action before ED steal penis dimensions, I think it is very appropriate for this brotherhood to avoid the quick dismissal of the length/girth lost topic.

Just my two cents...

ThePlumber
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

Return to “Implants”