Bad News

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
pumpitup

Re: Bad News

Postby pumpitup » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Limp
I agree with the rest of the comments here, I am sure that they would only remove the implant as an absolute last resort, but let me tell you, you've got me worried.
About four weeks ago we were still away from the Christmas holidays, I noticed my scrotum seemed sore, on closer inspection there appeared to be a lump at the base of the incision, I squesed it and puss came out of where the bottom stitch would be. I got really concerned, I went to the local emergency as I knew the infections and implants don't mix, they gave me basic antibiotics and told me to contact the surgeon, I rang his office and had an appointment a week later.
After a week on antibiotics the infection had prettywell cleared up, when the surgeon had a look he didn't seem too worried, he squeezed it no puss came out so he did nothing else.
I should say that ever since the operation, at the base of the incission there has been one stitch that has been sticking out. When I went back for my activation consult I told the surgeon about the stitch, he cut what I call the ears off and assured me that it was a disolvable stitch and I should rub pawpaw ointment in to help it dissolve.
I have done this and the stitch is still there. When I saw him re the infection he just said rub pawpaw ointment in to dissolve the stitch, well I have rubbed pawpaw ointment in three or four times a day and it is still there. It does not feel like it will ever dissolve it has two sharp bits just above the surface of the skin, it feels like nylon to me. The problem is it is infected again if I squeese it puss comes out from both sides of where this stitch is. I have an appointment to see the surgeon again in two weeks time, but I don't know what to do. Do I go to my local GP and get more antibiotics or do I leave it so the surgeon can see that it is infected, I am concerned that if I leave it the infection could spread to the implant.
AMS 700cx (18cm) implanted 1993,failed Aug 2017, Surgeon Professor Peter Heathcoat, Brisbane. Revision done on 16-10-17 with Titan (22+1) Surgeon A/Professor Eric Chung, Brisbane. I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Borne 1951.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 pm

I don't know what "pawpaw" ointment is. My surgeon prescribed Bacitracin.

My "medical" (I am no medical professional) is to push your surgeon's staff to let your surgeon know that you have an infection going on and you are on your way to the E.R.

An infection (even near the surface of the skin) in such an area of your body is nothing to disregard. The scrotum is warm and moist and a TERRIFIC breeding ground for bacteria.

Also, document EVERY contact you have about this. If the worst comes to pass, an audit trail of when and to whom you talked may help with a legal case, if it comes to that. I pray it will not.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

medhatg

Postby medhatg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 am

pumpitup wrote:Limp
I agree with the rest of the comments here, I am sure that they would only remove the implant as an absolute last resort, but let me tell you, you've got me worried.
About four weeks ago we were still away from the Christmas holidays, I noticed my scrotum seemed sore, on closer inspection there appeared to be a lump at the base of the incision, I squesed it and puss came out of where the bottom stitch would be. I got really concerned, I went to the local emergency as I knew the infections and implants don't mix, they gave me basic antibiotics and told me to contact the surgeon, I rang his office and had an appointment a week later.
After a week on antibiotics the infection had prettywell cleared up, when the surgeon had a look he didn't seem too worried, he squeezed it no puss came out so he did nothing else.
I should say that ever since the operation, at the base of the incission there has been one stitch that has been sticking out. When I went back for my activation consult I told the surgeon about the stitch, he cut what I call the ears off and assured me that it was a disolvable stitch and I should rub pawpaw ointment in to help it dissolve.
I have done this and the stitch is still there. When I saw him re the infection he just said rub pawpaw ointment in to dissolve the stitch, well I have rubbed pawpaw ointment in three or four times a day and it is still there. It does not feel like it will ever dissolve it has two sharp bits just above the surface of the skin, it feels like nylon to me. The problem is it is infected again if I squeese it puss comes out from both sides of where this stitch is. I have an appointment to see the surgeon again in two weeks time, but I don't know what to do. Do I go to my local GP and get more antibiotics or do I leave it so the surgeon can see that it is infected, I am concerned that if I leave it the infection could spread to the implant.

In my case, the emergency doctor was the one who treated me with antibiotics. The diagnosis was simple: the infection is at the skin level and we need to keep it at that and get rid of it. Not sure why your surgeon won't let you use topical antibiotic ointment. Important part of my treatment was cleaning the area on continual basis, push out any puss from the area, and apply the antibiotic ointment. Also, do you've any lumps, pain or discomfort in the groin?

Matt

RecentImplant

Postby RecentImplant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 am

Hang in there, my friend, and keep us posted. We're rooting for you. Really sorry to hear that, so hope the anitbiotics do the trick. I'm still on mine post-revision surgery so it's a wake up call for all. All the best.
46 year old, fit & healthy, single, 22 cm Titan coloplast implanted Nov. 2017, ED for 15 years, diagnosed with organic venous leakage. Pump repositioned Feb. '18.

My implant experience: http://www.franktalk.org/phpBB3/viewtop ... f=6&t=9229

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 pm

ED2013 wrote:If it is an infection, is your surgeon planning on removing the implant and leave nothing there for a while, or leaving a malleable implant for the time being ? Or is he planning on a salvage procedure in which you are implanted with a new 3 piece device during the same procedure as removal ?

If possible he will go with a malleable.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 pm

pumpitup wrote:Limp

You want to take antibiotics immediately. If the infection worsens, it limits what the doctor can do salvage wise.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm

[/quote]
If possible he will go with a malleable.[/quote]

Gotcha. Good luck to you. Hopefully you won’t need a revision. In all my research, most of the time infection is indicated by pain and fever.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:16 am

I think I am the only one here that lost an implant due to infection. I had to wait 6 months and then another 6-8 weeks to start using it. GET THAT INFECTION TREATED aggressively. Polysporin Cream on it after hot saltwater sits bath PLUS antibiotics if your doc will give them to you. Good luck. Healing thoughts go with you as I leave for my cruise today. :)

Larry

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 am

Larry10625 wrote:I think I am the only one here that lost an implant due to infection. I had to wait 6 months and then another 6-8 weeks to start using it. GET THAT INFECTION TREATED aggressively. Polysporin Cream on it after hot saltwater sits bath PLUS antibiotics if your doc will give them to you. Good luck. Healing thoughts go with you as I leave for my cruise today. :)

Larry

Don make too many waves :D

DaveKell

Postby DaveKell » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

Please don't despair over this. Keep a positive mindset that the next time will work out. I once went into the hospital for a simple incisional hernia repair of a previous surgical scar. It went horribly wrong. I developed two holes on my belly where intestine attached to my abdominal wall, bile ate through my skin and I had drainage from caustic intestinal bile on my skin. I had two craters the size of silver dollars that constantly felt like a blowtorch was on them. Extreme agony I lived with in the hospital an additional six months. For over a year I couldn't eat and had IV nutrition a few times a day. Hell, I couldn't even watch tv because even McDonalds food commercials drove me to the brink of insanity. The surgeon who left me in this condition was afraid to try and fix the work. It took me a year to find a surgeon willing to cut out the draining fistulas on my belly. The surgery was a success and my first meal after a year was two hot dogs with relish, mustard and sliced jalapenos. Big mistake. I got the mother of all gut aches but it felt like nirvana to me! At least none of it leaked out two holes on my belly! Surgeries sometimes go south. An implant surgery is infinitely simpler than what I endured. The next time will be a success, it's just the waiting that's going to suck. Best of luck to you and I hope you can convince yourself to anticipate a successful outcome and hold on until that day comes. It will, as a few others here can attest.
Became DaveKell 2.0 on July 18th with Dr. Allen Morey in Dallas, TX. AMS 700 CX implant. 18cm with 5.5 RTE's.

Return to “Implants”