Interactions With the Surgeon

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
doleslie

Interactions With the Surgeon

Postby doleslie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi:

I was being scheduled at UCLA for a penile implant on Nov. 12. Then 2 days ago, I was called and told that the schedule was to be moved up to Nov. 5. I was further told that I would be getting an email with instructions (on Monday Oct 31) and that a prescription for antibiotic ointment would be phoned into my local drug store. As of today, I still have not received any email with instructions. Apparently, the receptionist sent it to the wrong email address. After trying to reach the office numerous times (always answered by voice mail), I finally lucked out. Someone answered the phone. It was the same person that had called me on Monday. The prescription was finally filled today. But, I'm supposed to have taken it twice a day for 5 days prior to surgery (surgery is to be in 3 days). So, I was told that they can reschedule me for Friday, Nov 18. I said that that would be ok. Then, I was told that first they needed to see if an operating room was available for that date. After about 5 minutes on hold, I was told that no operating room was available for that date. Then, I was told that they would find a date and call me back. I mentioned to the staff that my surgical preop was performed on Oct 13 and that it was good for 30 days. Would I need to do another preop physical? I was told that that would not be necessary.

In addition, the surgeon called me last night. I don't know if all surgeons are as gruff and focused as this one. I can understand that a professional cannot be bothered with incidental patient concerns. He told me that we already had this conversation before, so what did I want to ask!

The conversation was about the choice of implant. He told me that there was a choice of two: The Titan or the AMS700 MS.

Should I be concerned about the demeanor and manner of the surgeon? Once the surgery is over and the followup visits, I know that I'll probably never see this surgeon again. Am I being to "sensitive" about the situation?
Age 72. Bladder Cancer TA-Cl3. Undergoing quarterly cystos. Had used Vacuum, Pills, Injections. Problems over the last 10 years. Had LGX installed on Dec. 5, 2011.

ohohiakane

Re: Interactions With the Surgeon

Postby ohohiakane » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Wow... sounds like the folks who will make mega-bucks don't really give a damn! There must be some competition somewhere nearby.
I am not a picky person but sure would not put up with that kind of treatment !!!

Someone about to have surgery should feel like they are in good hands...

Good luck with whatever you decide

Bill
75 Year Old guy in Michigan, married in 1958, ED since late '90s, then surgery in 2008 (not prostate or other genital) damaged some nerves making the ED worse. Now on trimix

Personal email Ohohiakane@yahoo.com
am always willing to discuss stuff and help

doleslie

Postby doleslie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 am

Well, I fired my surgeon. What an experience. His name is Dr. Jacob Rajfer who is the chief implant urologist at UCLA.
His staff provides no support. None of them know what is happening within their own office. What losers!

I found another surgeon who works in Orange County. Here is a doctor that is not threatened by discussing issues with his patients or even prospective patients like myself. After contacting him via email, I indicated my preference for him to call me via phone. Within 3 hours, I got a return call from the doctor. I have more conversation with him than I did with the UCLA doctor. The only problem that I found was that he had withdrawn from Medicare (GOOD FOR HIM). But, when I mentioned to my wife that I would have to pay his fee (around $5K), she flipped out. She said that she can't get a chin tuck, so I can't spend money for an implant. Hmm! I'm not so sure about what is more important. But, then my wife is cheaper than me. I told her that if she wanted a chin tuck, then just go ahead and get one. We'd then both be out of commission for about 6-8 weeks ;).

I then called my cancer medical center where I've been treated for bladder cancer for the past 2 years. They do have a urologist on staff (graduate of USC Medical School). I'm going to contact him today. Even though I have read a number of posts, I would like to know what are the important things to look for in an implant urology surgeon?
Age 72. Bladder Cancer TA-Cl3. Undergoing quarterly cystos. Had used Vacuum, Pills, Injections. Problems over the last 10 years. Had LGX installed on Dec. 5, 2011.

knotreel

Postby knotreel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 pm

I guess these people think, what is the big deal? this is NOT major surgury so why do these stupid patients need to act like it is more than getting a haircut? hmmm.. come to think... haircuts are scheduled better than that. However, I am pretty sure if they were having this operation, "minor" or not, they would be thinking basically what you are.
Well, I hope you and your wife have a good outcomes.
age 74 married, Robotic RP Dec.2009. Implanted Jan 2011 with AMS 700LGX and AMS 800 AUS. (AMS 1500). IPP failed March 2018 , leak. Planning an AUS revision (total replacement) in 2018, now I need the IPP too.

hockey

Postby hockey » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:46 am

dolesie,
I think each person must decide what they desire from their surgeon.
That doesn't seem like much help so I will tell you what I looked for.

I wanted a person (doctor) (in my case it ended up being a man) who I could totally trust.
One who fully understood my problems both physical and mental. He needed to
be a good listener and a careing individual. After all you are asking him for his best advice.
I did my home work on his abilities as a surgeon. I listened carefully to his advice.
Once I felt comfortable with having him cut on my penis I had to have him talk to my wife and explain everything again to her. The best part was he totally agreed with me that this
decision was one that all three of us needed to be on the very same page with.

My wife and I both had complete confidence and trust in him and have absolutely no regrets.

I don't know if I have been any help to you. But you seem like the kind of individual who wants that assurance and understanding only a good, kind and careing doctor is more than will to provide. I think you were right to fire the first one. You may want to shop around for one who still takes medicare. All of my bills came to about $18,000.00 after my insurance paid my total cost was about $700.00 out of pocket. I am not on medicare yet. Best of luck to you and don't be afraid to shop around until you and your wife are completely comfortable. This is one of those decisions that you must live with the rest of your life. God Bless!
67 yr's young. Loving wife and 4 children 7 grandchildren. Type II diabetic for 9 years. Could retire but love my job and the people I work for. Pills, Pumps & Injections all failed. Implanted on 9/2/11. I am now "Bionic":)

antelope

Postby antelope » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:47 am

Taking a knife to any body part--let alone your hoohoo--is a very big deal. Keep shopping until you find a surgeon who has a clue.

Greg
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

doleslie

Postby doleslie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Hockey:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I will be seeing a urologist at City of Hope next week. I will consider the things that you've expressed.

Dennis

Return to “Implants”