Pre-Surgery Diagnostics

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
rlm1818

Pre-Surgery Diagnostics

Postby rlm1818 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm curious what people have experienced as the routine pre-op diagnostics before having an implant.

I recently talked to Dr Eid's office (NYC) about visiting for an in-person consult (yes, I know they also offer a telephone consult for long distance patients), and they indicated that since I would be traveling from far out of state, they would also schedule me for a sonogram at that time. I gather this is a standard pre-op for them. Also NE_Bob has indicated Eid also does a bladder scope on all patients the day before surgery. Plus I assume everyone gets some kind of generalized pre-surgical testing such as EKG, blood work, etc.

Are sonogram and bladder scope typical for all surgeons, or only Dr Eid? What other diagnostics are routine?
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

rlm1818

Re: Pre-Surgery Diagnostics

Postby rlm1818 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

In partial answer to my own question, I met with Dr Daniel Williams at UW Madison, WI. We talked for about 30 minutes, he did an exam that lasted less than 5 minutes, and apart from requiring a pre-surgery physical from my primary doc, and probably an EKG and chest x-ray to satisfy the anesthesiologist, that's it. No sonogram, and no bladder scope. I specifically asked about these and he said unless there was some indication from history or physical exam, which there wasn't in my case, there was no reason from his standpoint.

So, just another data point.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

Return to “Implants”