PAIN USING THE PUMP

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
madmax

PAIN USING THE PUMP

Postby madmax » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:22 am

Went back to Dr today one week after surgery and told him I was having diffuculty in finding pump much less squeezing it..sack is still swelled around pump and tender..well Dr said I had to man up and he found the pump and squeezed it ..it hurt so bad I almost passed out..I said Dr my God that hurt..he told me to grab pump which I did and by then it was so sore I could not make my self do it...well he draind er down then gave me the pinch of death again and put it back to where it will be until he says so....my question gentleman ..is my awful pain comming from my swolen sack or will it be less painful after it goes down..how will I ever be able to over come what I felt today...it reminded me of pinching my bag skin with a pair of pliers...is anyone else having this problem or did you have the severe pain issue when you started to use the pump....

knotreel

Re: PAIN USING THE PUMP

Postby knotreel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:38 am

I had the scrotal approach and I can't imagine anyone being able to do any pumping in the first week. I was able to do it 2 1/2 weeks out but my doctor never told me to start pumping till after the "activation" which was 6 weeks. However I did some inflations from about 2 1/2 weeks till my activation at 6 weeks. I guess starting to fight the build up of scar tissue around your new parts makes sense but plently of us have had good outcomes without torturing ourselves, I let my scrotum tell me when to start. And yes, it will get a LOT easier when you scrotum walls thin out again. My feeling is based on my own case, is that it takes a good bit of time to elaspe before you can really enjoy the implant so be patient it will be worth it.
age 74 married, Robotic RP Dec.2009. Implanted Jan 2011 with AMS 700LGX and AMS 800 AUS. (AMS 1500). IPP failed March 2018 , leak. Planning an AUS revision (total replacement) in 2018, now I need the IPP too.

tukusmax

Postby tukusmax » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 pm

The one thing Dr. Henry not only told me but also wrote down: "Don't touch, don't experiment, don't play with it", He will show and teach me how to use it at my 6 week visit, until then just let it heal. It's been so long since I was able to use my little guy that I can wait. Good luck to ya!

Ron

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 pm

One week after surgery?! Holy H3ll that must hurt. Give it about 6 more weeks. Why are sooo many doctors thinking it is managable to pump so soon?
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

bill1200

Postby bill1200 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

I had a very similar experience, could not believe how much presure it took to squeeze the bulb. Actually ended up giving myself a huge hematoma. So big I couldn't find the pump edges for a few days. Saw doc couple of days ago. Said the hematoma will resolve. He squeezed the pump and said it was normal and that I had grabbed too much tissue while squeezing. So we went over some new instructions on how to squeeze. It is getting SOMEWHAT easier, but it is still surprising how much force is required. Some others have posted much easier pumping so I don't know why the difference. Anyway, from what many others have said it will get easier, cheers,
59 y/o, Good health, dealing with ED since age 40, pills worked for awhile, shots work but are getting less effective and a hassle.
IPP AMS CX 10-11-11, Dr Karpman

Dave48003

Postby Dave48003 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:28 pm

I had the worst swelling my doc had ever seen. He couldn't find the pump the morning after surgery to deflate it. I went for 3 weeks until I could actually feel the button. Let yourself heal, ice is your friend. Ibuprofen will help inflamation and swelling, i was taking 8 to 10 a day (with doc's knowledge and approval).

Try to gently find the pump and move it around a bit so it doesn't get stuck on something, but don't cause too much inflammation!

Good luck!

Dave
Charter member of the Brotherhood of Bionic Boners.
69 YO with a venous leak since puberty, made worse by meds & diabetes. Tried pills, a VED, and injections before my AMS 700LGX was implanted 3-17-2011. A life changing event!

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:20 pm

I had a very similar experience as yours. I cursed that doctor out so loud that security came running into the room. My doctor deflated and re-inflated the day after my operation. He gave me no warning about what he was preparing to do. He said let me examine you and BAM! If I could have reached a gun or a ball bat, I'd be in prison right now. Then I found out that this is totally uncalled for and could have waited or been done under the influence of some pain medication.

It gets MUCH easier and without any pain as time marches on.
harddrive

Return to “Implants”