Premedication for implanteed undergoing medical procedures

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JDavid

Premedication for implanteed undergoing medical procedures

Postby JDavid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am

I have a successful implant that has been with me for four years with no complications. Today I am scheduled to have a rubber band placed around a hemorrhoid. Another member had a flare up following a hemorrhoid procedure but is appears to have been a coincidence. Do members know of any guidelines regarding whether we should be premedicated with antibiotics prior to such a procedure?
I do have chronic Lyme disease and take antibiotics on a regular basis and think I will double up on my Bactrim just to be careful.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

TANGERINE

Re: Premedication for implanteed undergoing medical procedures

Postby TANGERINE » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 am

the guidelines are at the follwong site:

https://www.fascrs.org/sites/default/files/downloads/publication/antibiotic_prophylaxis_clinical_practice_guidelines_supporting_documentation.pdf

It is a very long and involved article.

The title is:
"Antibiotic Prophylaxis Clinical Practice Guideline: Supporting Documentation
Prepared by: The Standards Task Force
The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons"

It should be recognized that these guidelines should not be deemed inclusive of all proper method of care or exclusive of methods of care reasonably directed to obtaining the same results. The ultimate judgment regarding the propriety of any specific procedure must be made by the physician in light of all of the circumstances presented by the individual patient.

And here is the key statement:

"
Other
There is no evidence to support the use of antibiotic prophylaxis in patients with CNS prostheses, penile prostheses, intraocular lens, or pacemakers, and therefore, it is not recommended."

Personally, I would like to have antibiotics when getting a tooth extraction or a barium enema, but I will first ask my surgeon for an opinion.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:05 am

They will premed an hour before thru IV. You need to discuss anything else with your Dr. You may have to stop taking some of your normal meds a week before. Your surgeron will go over all this you.
Because of a hip replacement and degenerative joint and disk I have to premed 30 minutes pre dental also.

Make sure your surgeron has access to All your medical records

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 am

JDavid wrote:I have a successful implant that has been with me for four years with no complications. Today I am scheduled to have a rubber band placed around a hemorrhoid. Another member had a flare up following a hemorrhoid procedure but is appears to have been a coincidence. Do members know of any guidelines regarding whether we should be premedicated with antibiotics prior to such a procedure?
I do have chronic Lyme disease and take antibiotics on a regular basis and think I will double up on my Bactrim just to be careful.

David;
I would ask your doctor. Antibiotics have been overused so much that some people's body are no longer responding to them, creating a very serious situation. :)

Larry

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:22 am

Larry10625 wrote:
JDavid wrote:I have a successful implant that has been with me for four years with no complications. Today I am scheduled to have a rubber band placed around a hemorrhoid. Another member had a flare up following a hemorrhoid procedure but is appears to have been a coincidence.

David you need to talk to him (bbb2.5)about that

Do members know of any guidelines regarding whether we should be premedicated with antibiotics prior to such a procedure?

David;
I would ask your doctor. Antibiotics have been overused so much that some people's body are no longer responding to them, creating a very serious situation. :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”