Question for prostatectomy guys

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Tybeeman

Question for prostatectomy guys

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I had my implant Monday catheter out yesterday and now my inconsistency is back. Anyone have that trouble?
Last edited by Tybeeman on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

David_R

Re: Question for prostatectomy guys

Postby David_R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Tybeeman wrote:I've lost my consistency.

I'm not sure what you mean here. (And yes, I am one of those "prostatectomy guys.")

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I am leaking urine
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:50 pm

It is not uncommon to have some incontinence after having a catheter, irrespective of what kind of operation (prostatectomy, or whatever). This circumstance has been mentioned occasionally in several posts in the past. Most often this is for only a few days while the irritat8on and stretching of your urethra subsides.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that sometimes a prostatectomy will leave one with long term incontinence. Ask your urologist if Kegel exercises might help.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:It is not uncommon to have some incontinence after having a catheter, irrespective of what kind of operation (prostatectomy, or whatever). This circumstance has been mentioned occasionally in several posts in the past. Most often this is for only a few days while the irritat8on and stretching of your urethra subsides.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that sometimes a prostatectomy will leave one with long term incontinence. Ask your urologist if Kegel exercises might help.

Yes I have start back with my keel exercises. I was fine 3 months after my prostatectomy and have been for over a year now.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

Bandit

Postby Bandit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Tybeeman,
I also had RRP 2 1/2 years before my implant. The cath they used for implant appeared to me to be smaller diameter than when i had RRP. I to leaked after RRP for short time but got it under control. I had some slight leakage following the implant surgery. I think the cath just loosens everything up from the bladder to urethra. Your only a day in. With time & some Kegel exercises it subsides again. You tighten up & the leaking stops. We are about the same age so have that on our side. Good luck and congrats on the implant. Rest & stay off your feet !
Bandit
Born 1958, married. Prostate Cancer. RRP November/2014. PSA undetectable since. Implant May/2017 AMS700LGX 18 cm + 1.5 cm RTEs.

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Bandit wrote:Tybeeman,
I also had RRP 2 1/2 years before my implant. The cath they used for implant appeared to me to be smaller diameter than when i had RRP. I to leaked after RRP for short time but got it under control. I had some slight leakage following the implant surgery. I think the cath just loosens everything up from the bladder to urethra. Your only a day in. With time & some Kegel exercises it subsides again. You tighten up & the leaking stops. We are about the same age so have that on our side. Good luck and congrats on the implant. Rest & stay off your feet !
Bandit

Thanks Bandit. I just don't want an infection.
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

David_R

Postby David_R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Tybeeman wrote:I am leaking urine

I easily lost urine after my prostatectomy (especially when having an orgasm), and this totally grossed me out (wife said it didn't bother her that much after all the years of her changing babies' diapers).

After a while it stopped (I can't remember exactly how long I leaked since that was 17 years ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be). But it was great to get rid of the diapers and pads. :)

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 pm

David_R wrote:
Tybeeman wrote:I am leaking urine

I easily lost urine after my prostatectomy (especially when having an orgasm), and this totally grossed me out (wife said it didn't bother her that much after all the years of her changing babies' diapers).

After a while it stopped (I can't remember exactly how long I leaked since that was 17 years ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be). But it was great to get rid of the diapers and pads. :)

How about after your implant?
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 pm

I think all us post-prostatectomy guys go from catheter to diaper to pads to (mostly good) continence. My first day in a diaper I took a nap and when I woke up the bed was all wet. I cried! Then I went on Amazon and started buying supplies. I was out of the diapers and into the pads within a week or so (my memory sucks). And out of the pads in another six weeks or so. Urine loss does not seem worse after implant than after RP....and I've had three implants.

Biggest diff....I wear black cargo pants when I go out for any extended time.....doesn't show a wet spot if one happens. During my normal workday I wear Dockers, usually khaki, and really never have a problem..well, almost never.

Prostatectomy saved my life - implant improves my life.....UNBELIEVEABLY......Monday I had 3 girls for an hour and a half.....I could never done that in my youth....
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Return to “Implants”