Is this a slow leak?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
radiodec

Is this a slow leak?

Postby radiodec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 am

Hey guys haven't been here in a while too busy enjoying the bionics. Now I have a question, does this sound like I have a leak problem? I have an AMS 700LGX that will no longer pump up to full rigidity. It pumps to about half way just as it always did but then the bulb on the pump stays flat and doesn't refill. Talked to AMS, their suggestions didn't help. Off to my urologist. Just the question, does this sound like a slow leak?
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

Zxylpk

Re: Is this a slow leak?

Postby Zxylpk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am

coincidentally, I seem to have a similar thing going on. Let us know what you find out. I'll be talking to my Dr. today - I'll do the same.
74 y/o Implant 21cm, 1cm rte ams 700 CX, Feb 21, 2017, Dr. Karpman, Mt View, CA

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Sounds at first reading to definitely not be a slow leak. That the pump bulb not refilling most likely is a problem of the tubing not allowing refill of the bulb.

BUT........

If there was a leak in the past that has now left insufficient saline for inflation, that would exactly match your symptoms.

Can you feel the reservoir? Does it feel any differently than it did before? (Like less full?)
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Zxylpk

Postby Zxylpk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Lost Sheep, thanks for the informed assessment. You could be right. I just hung up with my Dr. & he wants to see me asap. Got an appt for tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what he says.

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Saw my urologist today. He affirmed that I definitely have a problem and suspects that I have had a leakage problem. No fast decisions or repairs though. I am now scheduled for a CT scan to confirm things and get a handle on what might be going wrong.

He predicts a full revision if it is indeed a leak. Says that symptoms are consistent with reservoir running out of fluid. It pumps like normal until it just won't refill the pump bulb.

Long story short, looks like I won't know for sure what is going on until after July 19.
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

Tybeeman

Postby Tybeeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 pm

I am sorry to hear that I just had my implanted Monday. I can imagine going Thursday this in 4 years
PC at age 56
RALP on 2/16
Implant on 6/26/2017 Doctor Tariq Hakky
Coloplast Titan OTR, 22cm with 1 cm RTE

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 pm

radiodec wrote:Saw my urologist today. He affirmed that I definitely have a problem and suspects that I have had a leakage problem. No fast decisions or repairs though. I am now scheduled for a CT scan to confirm things and get a handle on what might be going wrong.

He predicts a full revision if it is indeed a leak. Says that symptoms are consistent with reservoir running out of fluid. It pumps like normal until it just won't refill the pump bulb.

Long story short, looks like I won't know for sure what is going on until after July 19.

Wow, reading these posts of implants going bad prematurely is a little concerning. But what are you going to do. Implants are mechanical with moving parts, so I can understand they will eventually wear out. But if mine goes bad in 4 years, I would do it again. And I haven't even used mine yet. Good luck Radio!
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Radiodec,

What kind of implant to you have?
(EDIT: - Oops. I did not recall the original post specified an AMS LGX))

Coloplost devices have tubing and other parts fail more often then the penile implant part. It is just barely possible that a revision might not require removal of the implant or reservoir if the leak is indeed the cause and confined to the pump or a connector easy to reach in your scrotum.

Some surgeons would remove and replace as a matter of policy "start over completely and don't worry about other possible failures". This is reasonable if the entire assembly is suspect.

If the failure is confined to an easy-to-access part of the body, it may be less risky to confine the surgery to just that part.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional (or even amateur) of any sort. This just makes sense to me as the owner of one flesh-and-blood body.
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

sliphill

Postby sliphill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Radiodec,

What kind of implant to you have?

Coloplost devices have tubing and other parts fail more often then the penile implant part. It is just barely possible that a revision might not require removal of the implant or reservoir if the leak is indeed the cause and confined to the pump or a connector easy to reach in your scrotum.

Some surgeons would remove and replace as a matter of policy "start over completely and don't worry about other possible failures". This is reasonable if the entire assembly is suspect.

If the failure is confined to an easy-to-access part of the body, it may be less risky to confine the surgery to just that part.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional (or even amateur) of any sort. This just makes sense to me as the owner of one flesh-and-blood body.

I wonder if the recovery of a revision is worse than original implant. I'm sure someone will chime in to inform us.
Ed (sliphill) 68

Implanted by Dr. Michael O'Neill in Charlotte, NC on 6/9/2017 with AMS 700LGX. 18 cm cylinders 3 cm RTE's.

Revision done by Dr. Maxim McKibbon in Charlotte, NC on 4/12/2023 with AMD 700 LGX 22 cm cylinders gm

Zxylpk

Postby Zxylpk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 pm

radiodec, I am very sorry to hear this - especially since it appears we both have the same implant and mine appears to be doing something similar. Does not bode well for ams 700 lgx. At least you've had yours for 4 years, I've had mine for 4 months - haven't had time to wear it out yet.

Return to “Implants”