Should it be a surgeon's duty to tell a patient to go elsewhere?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DonBecker54

Should it be a surgeon's duty to tell a patient to go elsewhere?

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 pm

I've given this a lot of thought, and decided to get opinions from others.

When I had my surgery, the doctor said, "you're going to lose some length." I figured he was talking 1/4" or something like what some others on this forum have experienced. I wasn't expecting to lose 2".

I'd expressed my concerns in our first meeting about losing length, so he knew that this was an issue.

As I think about it now, I believe the doc should have said, "there are surgeons whose patients lose little or no length from their implant surgery. I'm not one of those surgeons. If this is a big concern of yours, you should see one of those surgeons".

This isn't like selling a car. I believe the doctor owes the patient the unvarnished truth. Anything less is unprofessional.

Agree or disagree?
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

RichardTheFrog

Re: Should it be a surgeon's duty to tell a patient to go elsewhere?

Postby RichardTheFrog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm

DonBecker54 wrote:I've given this a lot of thought, and decided to get opinions from others.

When I had my surgery, the doctor said, "you're going to lose some length." I figured he was talking 1/4" or something like what some others on this forum have experienced. I wasn't expecting to lose 2".

I'd expressed my concerns in our first meeting about losing length, so he knew that this was an issue.

As I think about it now, I believe the doc should have said, "there are surgeons whose patients lose little or no length from their implant surgery. I'm not one of those surgeons. If this is a big concern of yours, you should see one of those surgeons".

This isn't like selling a car. I believe the doctor owes the patient the unvarnished truth. Anything less is unprofessional.

Agree or disagree?

You need a revision from Dr. Kramer in Baltimore. You'll get it back.
Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer 2/22/17. 18 cm AMS LGX with 2 cm RTE's (total 20cm).

Activated 3/11/17. Best decision I've ever made.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Morality, formal Canons of Ethics, legal duty to disclose and common courtesy all indicate with vatying degrees of specificity and obligation what any person should do (or tell).

Doctors' Hippocratc Oath says something about your question. You should look up the entire oath, but the salient part here i think is "first, do no harm". This may mean to him to not kill you or injure you. To you it obviously means not to diminish you.

EDIT: I looked up theWikipedia entry, Apparantly the current version does not include the phrase "do no harm", but does pledge the physician to "not be ashamed to say 'I know not,'". Then there is the duty for the Doctor to verify he/she has the patient's informed consent for any procedure. And that requires him/her to give you that information. So, the anwer to your question, in my mind is, "Yes".

However, if he did the best he could, he may indeed have a clear conscience. (Not that I believe that, considering recent posts about him, but I cannot say from a standpoint of certainty as all reports are anecdotal.)

It falls to you to make him mindful of his mistakes, unfortunately. You have my sympathy and my respect as you go forward, whatever actions you take.

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm already going with Eid. But my question is whether Milam should have admitted up front that he wouldn't be able to do the job to my satisfaction.
Butchered by Dr. Douglas Milam, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in January 2016. Lost 2" Before After

ThePlumber1964

Postby ThePlumber1964 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Don,

Your posting is capturing what most of us have gone through, or worse. When a physician misrepresent himself as a very confident skilled one, and he is not, it is plainly malpractice.

Not every physician has the ethics to do what you described. And the sad part is that the profound negative impact his conduct has on the patiens' life is permanent, even after having a successful revision that addresses all concerns.
54 years old, happily married for 30 years to a beautiful & outstanding lady. Onset ED at 49. Finally fixed on 11/08/2017 by the master Dr. Eid with a Titan XL 26, no RTEs! Previously had 3 AMS implants (LGX & CX), all botched.

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:42 pm

I was an advertising photographer for 30 years, and a good one. But if someone had come to me with a job that absolutely required something more than my skills, I would have referred the client to a photographer who specialized in that.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:02 pm

I do agree that it should be a surgeons duty to refer patients elsewhere. Unfortunately it's common that they do not. The first surgeon I consulted about an implant advised me not to get one. He said he could do it, but I would lose size and would be oval shaped and feel unnatural.

RichardTheFrog

Postby RichardTheFrog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:32 pm

ED2013 wrote:I do agree that it should be a surgeons duty to refer patients elsewhere. Unfortunately it's common that they do not. The first surgeon I consulted about an implant advised me not to get one. He said he could do it, but I would lose size and would be oval shaped and feel unnatural.

Well in this case, this surgeon would refer EVERYONE.
Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer 2/22/17. 18 cm AMS LGX with 2 cm RTE's (total 20cm).

Activated 3/11/17. Best decision I've ever made.

DonBecker54

Postby DonBecker54 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:58 pm

RichardTheFrog wrote:
ED2013 wrote:I do agree that it should be a surgeons duty to refer patients elsewhere. Unfortunately it's common that they do not. The first surgeon I consulted about an implant advised me not to get one. He said he could do it, but I would lose size and would be oval shaped and feel unnatural.

Well in this case, this surgeon would refer EVERYONE.

And well he should.

longdayze

Postby longdayze » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Don
Great question, but if my first surgeon had told the truth he would be making less than minimum wage, he suffered from LOT which is short for "Lack of Talent"
I think the medical community does a disservice to all by protecting those who are not qualified and there are many in that category. Unfortunately I've never heard of any doctor revealing his lack of skill to any patient. After all they call their business a practice.

SAM I AM
Had Titan 18cm + 1cm RTE on 1-5-17, blotched surgery, cylinders short. Had revision on 3-15-17 Dr. Kramer to a Titan 22 +1 RTE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEZyTjSM2M

Sam

Return to “Implants”