WIsconsin Implanters

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
rlm1818

WIsconsin Implanters

Postby rlm1818 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 am

I wonder if others here have any experience with Wisconsin doctors. Blacke, in another thread mentions a Dr Williams in Madison WI, with so far, very favorable results.

A few years ago I met several times with a Dr. Peter Langenstroer at the Medical College of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee. In working with him on various injectable formulas, he did mention that I might consider an implant. I rejected the idea out of hand at the time, but am now reconsidering, and in the process of deciding who to talk to. http://www.froedtert.com/PatientInforma ... htm?id=819

Does anyone have any experiences either of these doctors, or with others?

Thanks for any replies.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

Frank Talk Admin
Site Admin

Re: WIsconsin Implanters

Postby Frank Talk Admin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:13 am

That doc certainly looks good. Remember that the number of implants a doc has performed, does not necessarily indicate that he is the best. I know many surgeons whom I call boutique implant docs because they do incredible work, but only do 50-60 a year instead of 50 a month. If you'd like, I can contact one of the implant companies to get other names.
Thanks
Paul

rlm1818

Re: Wisconsin Implanters

Postby rlm1818 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Paul --

Thanks for your kind offer. I have been to both AMX and Titan web sites where they have "physician locator" functions. This has given me the names of quite a few doctors. Whats not easy to sort out is which are the best ones to consider. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, I'm guessing that the AMX LGX is the best solution for me, though obviously I'd value physician input. So I do want to make sure I consider docs with LGX experience.

I think it makes sense for me to visit both Langenstroer and Williams (Blacke's doc). But if your contacts would have other specific suggestions aside from whats available from their web site locator services, that would be most welcome.

While I don't know for sure, yet, I'm guessing my insurance will not cover an implant, and I'd have to pay totally out of pocket. They haven't covered any ED related expenses so far, since they say that's a specific exclusion. Blacke's experience, day surgery in a surgi-center, compared to overnight in a hospital (which appears to be more common) seems very attractive, since it most likely lowers the cost of the procedure considerably.

Of course, I don't need to stay in Wisconsin either. But it would be more convenient.

Thanks again for your comments.

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:41 pm

As far as I'm concerned outpatient is the way to go unless you have some associated health issues that need to be monitored. First of for me the pain was not that big of a deal. Second, for those of us who have to pay out of pocket, it is certainly less expensive.

I'm scheduled for a F/U appointment on monday and anxious to relate my experience with the crowd so stay tuned.

Blacke

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Since your close....come over to Minnesota and go to Mayo clinic in Rochester. As I have said before on this site, Dr. Ajay Nehra is nothing but the best down there. He told me hes done 3-4 implants in a day. I had a exteremly positive experience and would tell anyone to go there. Let me know if you have any questions.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 am

Minnesota --

Thanks for your comment. The Mayo Clinic is about a 4-5 hour drive for me, or else a plane ride. Chicago is 2 hours by car. Madison WI about 1 hr. Milwaukee 30 min. If think if I'm willing to fly somewhere, there are a lot of good options. My main concern with that, or a long car ride, is what if I develop complications that require me to head back to the Dr. when maybe I feel like sh*t? Even a 15 min car ride can be daunting if you feel terrible.

I did try to schedule an appt with Dr. Langenstroer, through several different channels, and each time was told he wouldn't see me unless I was diagnosed with cancer, even though I had seen him before several times (a couple of years ago, though). I was referred to a Dr. Jon Pryor, who recently moved to the Medical College of Wisconsin from Minnesota. Pryor's resume is impressive but I don't see that implants are a significant part of his practice. http://www.froedtert.com/PatientInforma ... m?id=87206 And, when I talked to a nurse in the urology clinic there, while she said he did do implants, he only sees patients 1/2 day a week, and that he is heavily involved in administrative work. I have asked to talk to Pryor or someone on his staff, but nobody has returned my call. I have looked at the web site info for everyone at the Medical College in urology, and the only one that even mentions implants as an area of interest is Langenstroer. Unless I can somehow get to see Langenstroer, I'm crossing the Medical College, and Milwaukee generally, off my list of options.

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

No one has returned your phone call? That would be a red flag to me. If you have a complication you want someone there right away..and you are struggling to get ahold of someone. Interesting situation.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Rimmy

My advice to you would be to see Dr. Williams in Madison.(Williams Urology on the net). If nothing else hear what he has to say and see what you think. I think they had one of the best organized clinics, very professional. Remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to do! I took the advice of others that recommended 3 consults. Then you can compared and go with the one you want.

I think you can e-mail me privately through F/T if you want and we can discuss it

Blacke

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks blacke. I may email you. I do have an appt with Dr Williams, but almost 2 months away was the earliest I could get.

Minnesota -- I did eventually get a call back. The message I left was pretty clear that I was looking for information about Pryor's practice. I think it was pretty clear that I wasn't a current patient and didn't have an immediate medical issue. So the slow response shouldn't be taken as indicative of how they might respond to a patient with an issue. I couldn't get any numbers, no matter how I asked, but it was obvious from the replies that Pryor does very few, if any implants. I was also told Langenstroer no longer does implants, despite the claim on his web page that he is in the upper 90 percentile of implanters. I was told that the main implant doctor at the Medical College had been a Margarita Kressin, but that she recently moved to Texas. There doesn't seem to be anyone at MCW that is into implants. Too bad for Milwaukee.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

Dash Riprock

Postby Dash Riprock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Rim1818 I was just implanted by Dr. Langenstroer on 10/12! He had to fix what Kressin originally put in. The man is GOOD, and a great bedside manner! All my surgeries for this thing, ( there have been 4!) were done at the Milwaukee VA. If you can hook up with these guys, you will not regret it!! Dash Riprock

Return to “Implants”