Cystoscopy with implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
kbota53

Cystoscopy with implant

Postby kbota53 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Hadn't been here in a while, so may not know most of you, but, anyway, Hey Guys! Hope all are doing well. As a result of PCa, I had an implant back in 2010. (AMS 700 Ultrex) Everything's been going well, but the last few months the pee stream is more difficult to start, especially early in the morning and i must restart it several times to get the ol bladder emptied. I met with my uro yesterday for our six month psa (still non detect! YAAH!), and he wants to do a cystoscope. He and I have a great relationship, and usually we sit and visit a while, but he had an emergency short notice surgery waiting on him so that cut the visit short. I'm not excited about the cystoscope at all, but sort of understand his thinking. The second question that I didn't think of asking was...what about the implant? So, for you guys who have an implant, have you had a cystoscope after your implant was in place? I assume they will want the implant completely deflated right? Even deflated, those tubes do occupy a certain amount of space. I admit that I may be overthinking this.

Also, for anyone who has also had a prostatectomy, and then had a scope, were there any incontinence issues afterwards? Since I no longer have a prostate, I am down to only one urethral sphincter. Thanks to a good surgeon, (same doc) my one remaining sphincter works pretty good and I want to keep it that way. So, (first question I should have asked) what's the chance of a scope being shoved through a bladder neck sphincter causing incontinence issues? That would be a deal breaker for me at this point.

fwiw, he and I email back and forth regularly, and before he left, he asked me to email him any questions or concerns, which I've done today. Hadn't heard back from him yet. I'll share his thoughts when I know them.

Any thoughts and experiences are welcome.

k

shooter1000

Re: Cystoscopy with implant

Postby shooter1000 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Well, I don't have my implant yet, but I can address the other part of the question. I had a kidney stone issue after my LRP. Like you I have one valve left. I am continent almost 100% good. A big sneeze at night or lifting over 40 pound will cause some minor leakage. Nothing changed after my cystoscope. I even had one of the plastic snakes left in my ureter and jerked out with the string after healing. No issues there either.

Best of luck to you,
Age 75 Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer 03/22/2017. AMS 700 LGX 18 CM with 2 Cm RTE for a total of 20 CM. Previously used injections over 1000 no scarring

mouseco

Postby mouseco » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am

Kbota53
Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with low grade bladder cancer. All the cancer cells were removed through a cystoscope. Periodic cystoscopy's are necessary to keep an eye on my bladder
Last May I was implanted with a Coloplast Titan device. Six months ago the doctor who installed the implant preformed my routine cystoscope. I might add that I am some what of a baby and have this done under sedation.
Due to a large hematoma that developed after my implant surgery my pump is not ideally located in my scrotum. Although everything operates nicely, I have elected to have a revision to more ideally locate the pump. My periodic cystoscope is due and the doctor will preform it at the same time that he does my revision.
I have had no problems with my cystoscope since my implant.
I hope my experience helps with your concerns.
Mouseco

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:59 pm

I had my implant in late spring 2015 and have had two scopes since. I was apprehensive about the first, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. With the anesthetic gel/lubricant they use it was virtually painless. I didn't worry at all about the second time. It was just as easy.The implant cylinders didn't seem to interfere at all. Even got to watch the monitor as it was happening. Amazing what they can do these days! Hopefully you will have the same experience.

kbota53

Postby kbota53 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks guys. I knew a few of you would have the answers I was searching for. I appreciate it.

k

Return to “Implants”