One Giant Step!

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
blacke8184

One Giant Step!

Postby blacke8184 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 am

Greetings Gents!

Some of you may remember me I've been lurking on this site intermittently. I've finally taken the "Big Step" and have become bionic! The procedure was done last friday, so I'm 5 days post op. I had the procedure performed by Dan Williams, M.D. through the U of Wis.- Madison (Williams urology) He has a web site, if you google it you should be able to find it. I have the AMS LGX. I had a consult with Dr. Miliam in Nashville and was reasonably impressed however, traveling a long distance and be far from the surgeon(in case of problems) discouraged me. After seeing Dr. Williams I was confident that he could do what I wanted done! At this point it would be too soon to recommend (Dr. Williams) because the healing is not complete, but so far so good!

For those of you considering an implant...If you are not worried, concerned, apprehensive or just plain scared you are crazy! However, if I can do it you can do it!

For some of you this may be a shocker. I had the procedure performed on an outpatient basis in a surgery center, under general anesthesia. I was at the center at 6:30 am and was home by 3:30 p.m. (I live 2 hours from the center)! I removed the urinary catheter the next day by my self. I used narcotic analgesics the 1st day only, Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours for 4 days and I have not taken anything today.

The procedure was performed suprapubic and I have had penile and scrotal swelling with bruising which improving daily.

I will continue to give updates as I progress.

Blacke

antelope

Re: One Giant Step!

Postby antelope » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Well done, Blacke! Keep us posted. We're all cheering for you!
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

LGX_Man

Postby LGX_Man » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Great news to hear! Here's to your continued success with easy healing. I just celebrated 8 months with my new LGX. Celebrations are MUCH more fun nowadays since I was implanted!!

Keep us all in touch and ask any questions that you may have along the way.

LGX_Man
62. Retired. AMS 700 LGX implanted Nov. 18, 2013. Ask me any questions about being implanted or life afterwards.

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks Blacke for sharing your experiences! I am a fellow Wisconsinite and am greatly encouraged that you have had, so far, such a great experience with a Wisconsin doctor. If you are willing to share, did you consider other Wisconsin doctors, and why did you choose Williams? I have started a new thread regarding Wisconsin doctors, in case you would care to reply there.

Also, I hope you keep us informed of your subsequent progress, after such a great start.

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Gents!

I thought it would be a good time for an update. I'm now 2 weeks post implant. I'm not much for day to day/play by play. Here goes.
I only used the narcs for 1 day (day of surgery) after that Ibuprofen/tylenol. I lately I've used Mobic 15 mg(sister of ibuprofen dosed once daily).
As of today the bruising is gone and the edema(swelling) is improving. It's kinda difficult to get use to a semi-woody but I'm managing. Day to day everything is getting better I just wish a little faster. Complications are a very sensitive penis although I suspect that should get better over time. I've developed ( I think a hydrocele around the implant). I have my first f/u appt. on monday 9/12, so I should learn more then. I will give another update as well.

Blacke

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Evening Gents,

Today was my 1st post -op visit. I met the NP and she said everything looked good. She instructed me on how to pull the pump lower into the scrotum. I have to do that at least 2-3 times daily for about 30 sec. Anyone been instructed to do it different?

So far so good. Return visit in approximately 1 month for activation.

Blacke

P.S. So far I've been impressed with my experience with Dr. Williams (Madison, WI)

hockey

Postby hockey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 am

blacke,

Sounds like we are on the very same schedule.
Only diffence is I have the malleable semi-ridged implant.

I just don't have the pump to move a round.
It is really very different having a "woodie" 24/7!

Glad to hear everything is going so well for you. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I know both of us are waiting with great anticipation to these new things to use.
It really is appreciated to be treated with so much understanding by our medical
people. Your doctors and his/her staff sound just like mine, highly professional!

The very best of continued success!
67 yr's young. Loving wife and 4 children 7 grandchildren. Type II diabetic for 9 years. Could retire but love my job and the people I work for. Pills, Pumps & Injections all failed. Implanted on 9/2/11. I am now "Bionic":)

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Update!

I'm now 3 weeks post op (approximately). This is where I stand, all bruising is gone and so is most of the the swelling except for the incision site. I still have a very sensitive penis as well as the area over the pump. I have been pulling on the pump (to lower it into the scrotum.

Overall, I'm pleased. I have never had a surgical procedure performed on my person and I managed to survive!(just kidding). At this point I would recommend Dr. Williams. in Madison WI. The procedure can and should (unless contraindicated) performed on an outpatient basis. It controls cost especially for those of us who have to pay out of pocket! My charge was ($15,000.00) total! That's the lowest price I could find through the internet! Yet very professional! I went to nashville and Madison was better organized! (other how long it took to get an appointment) Doctor very personable. If anyone is considering an implant and has to pay out of pocket. Check this out.

Blacke

antelope

Postby antelope » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Congratulations and thanks for the info. I'm filing for future reference.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

blacke8184

Postby blacke8184 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Gents!

Here for a new update! I'm now 4+weeks post op. I still have a some tenderness around the pump but it appears to be improving. This sensitivity is only noticeable while tugging on the pump to lower it into the scrotum and examining the bulb(the grenade). There continues to be sensitivity around the tubes in the penis especially at the base. That too is slowly improving(maybe my wishful thinking).
My activation date is the 17th of October, which actually 7 weeks post op but it was the only date free on my schedule. I'm anxiously awaiting!

It's interesting to note how didn't folks recover and at what rate. For those of you following these notes and others. Read them al and don't take anyone as gospel! Use the info as a guide. Fellas with comorbid conditions )diabetes, PCa may heal differently. If anything this experience has taught me patience which is a milestone in it's own regard!

If anyone has any ?? e-mail me and I'll be happy to chat.

Blacke

Return to “Implants”